Delayed Charging question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

myrs4

Hey there eGolfers!

So my wife is having trouble figuring out how to setup the delayed charging..and now so am I!

Can anyone walk me through the steps? We're trying to have the charge begin at 10:30p and stop when fully charged, or just keep charging until she leaves for work the next morning (9a-ish). I set things up in the in-dash computer and pressed the clock button where the plug goes in the rear. But when it's plugged in before 10:30p it begins charging.

Help!!

check out the 'Departure time is ignored and starts charging immediately' thread in the Technical Discussion subforum, and good luck!

synergy said:
check out the 'Departure time is ignored and starts charging immediately' thread in the Technical Discussion subforum, and good luck!

Will do..thanks!!

It happens to me from most of the time. I just unplug it and plug it back in. It won't start charging until the start time I set.

I've only owned a 2016 SE for a total of 2 days but this is what I've found out so far. I thought I'd share it since I'm going through this too.

The "off peak" hours in the location setting acts as a start time. I set mine from 12 am to 5 am last night with a 7 am departure and it stared right up at 12 am. It only needed a 15 mile charge and stopped way before the departure time.

The "departure time" makes the car calculate the hours needed for a total charge (Max charge setting) and starts at the time it thinks best.

Does "departure time" take precedence over "off peak" hours? I haven't tested yet but I assume so.

Sptgolf said:
I've only owned a 2016 SE for a total of 2 days but this is what I've found out so far. I thought I'd share it since I'm going through this too.

The "off peak" hours in the location setting acts as a start time. I set mine from 12 am to 5 am last night with a 7 am departure and it stared right up at 12 am. It only needed a 15 mile charge and stopped way before the departure time.

The "departure time" makes the car calculate the hours needed for a total charge (Max charge setting) and starts at the time it thinks best.

Does "departure time" take precedence over "off peak" hours? I haven't tested yet but I assume so.

Here are the important items to set for Delayed Charging

1) Do not use Default 'Standard' power setting. Make a new one
2) Set the OffPeak Hours. That just tells the car when to charge when it is time to charge (Sorta)
3) Set the Depature time, to keep the battery from getting 'charge fatigue' it will try to get the car charged by the depature time.
4) Set the MIN charge to something low like 10% (Either 'Basic' on the infotainment' or 'Min Charge' on CarNet website)
5) Make sure the 'scheduled' light is lit up on the charging port (2nd light, on bottom)

That's the one thing I figured out today. If it starts charging right away then hit the timer button with the clock on it when you put the charger in the port. So far so good. I just treat the peak time as the hours I want to charge and set a departure time for when I want to leave in the morning.

Sptgolf said:
That's the one thing I figured out today. If it starts charging right away then hit the timer button with the clock on it when you put the charger in the port. So far so good. I just treat the peak time as the hours I want to charge and set a departure time for when I want to leave in the morning.
Note the light has multiple 'modes'

If it is flashing Quickly like blip, blip , blip then it's just trying to determine the charge time needed.

If it is pulsing bright , dim , bright , dim, then it really is charging.

Thanks forbin
That information is helpful. I'm starting to get the hang of it. Put the plug in,press the clock button, watch it go blink blink blink. I assume its setting a timer to wake up. Because then my goes completely dark, like the car is completely off. That kind of threw me for a loop at first. But now I know it wakes up at the peak time and does its job. It would've been helpful if they put a countdown timer on the dashboard that shows when charging will begin.

Anybody have this working with a level 2 clipper creek and a 2016 SE with gen 2 infotainment system? Mine works fine with Delphi 110v but looking at upgrading.

Sptgolf said:
Thanks forbin
That information is helpful. I'm starting to get the hang of it. Put the plug in,press the clock button, watch it go blink blink blink. I assume its setting a timer to wake up. Because then my goes completely dark, like the car is completely off. That kind of threw me for a loop at first. But now I know it wakes up at the peak time and does its job. It would've been helpful if they put a countdown timer on the dashboard that shows when charging will begin.

Anybody have this working with a level 2 clipper creek and a 2016 SE with gen 2 infotainment system? Mine works fine with Delphi 110v but looking at upgrading.

Level2 Clipper Creek models have been problematic in the past. Do a search here to find out more.

Sptgolf said:
Thanks forbin
It would've been helpful if they put a countdown timer on the dashboard that shows when charging will begin.

Ooo that would so so NICE!

Listen up VW now that's a feature that EVERYONE needs.

They have made this so confusing, the manual has barely any information about it whatsoever and I can't get this setup right, I literally only want to charge at home from 10pm - 8am. Do the departure times have to be set? I had that set, and yesterday the car just started charging out of the blue @ 6:30. I turned off the departure times and the car did not start charging @ 10. Please help! Thank you!

slickshoes said:
They have made this so confusing, the manual has barely any information about it whatsoever and I can't get this setup right, I literally only want to charge at home from 10pm - 8am. Do the departure times have to be set? I had that set, and yesterday the car just started charging out of the blue @ 6:30. I turned off the departure times and the car did not start charging @ 10. Please help! Thank you!

Make sure to set Min Charge to 10% on the Carnet website (carnet.vw.com); bottom of the REMOTE page. This setting is not available on the app. Mine was at 100%, so would start charging immediately regardless of off peak or departure time settings. Logic is IF Current Charge state is < Min Charge THEN start charging (immediately)

synergy said:
Make sure to set Min Charge to 10% on the Carnet website (carnet.vw.com); bottom of the REMOTE page. This setting is not available on the app. Mine was at 100%, so would start charging immediately regardless of off peak or departure time settings. Logic is IF Current Charge state is < Min Charge THEN start charging (immediately)

AND keep departure times set? Or can I just have the off-peak time set? My minimum charge setting was at 10%. Thank you!

slickshoes said:
synergy said:

AND keep departure times set? Or can I just have the off-peak time set? My minimum charge setting was at 10%. Thank you!

You get to either choose the start time, or the departure time... not both. Take your pick, make sure you have enough EVSE and amperage to get it done and recharged to 100% before you need to leave. 240V and 30 Amps makes it a lot easier. The 120V at 12 amp unit that comes with the car is the cheapest slowest dog of an EVSE they could give you with the car, and is problematic, time frame wise for using timed charging, it's too slow, in many cases, there is not enough time to fully charge.

I'm running with a start / stop time as well as a departure time.

I BELIEVE start / stop is completely useless but have it set anyhow and my car charges using the departure time as it's 'final' charge time.

I was having a bunch of problems with the off-peak hours and departure times. The car would not start charging reliably with the off-peak or departure timer set, but seemed to only charge when I pressed the immediate charge button after plugging in the EVSE (240V, 30Amp Siemens VC30GRYU). The EVSE was also not set on timed charge function.

I contacted the local dealer and they didn't do much for me, just asked me silly questions like "is the charge plug really seated in the port?" or "Is the EVSE connected to power?" Even though I could see the car lights blink and the EVSE made a reassuring thunk. So I escalated it to region service manager and I had a call back from the dealer very quickly.

Anyway, it ended up that there were several bad modules in the car and they needed to replace it. See attached image for the full runaround and what parts were replaced. ( I stuck my head around his monitor and saw the part was $1800)

BTW, it works perfectly once. Though it I don't have the off-peak time set it has gone over the departure time by 15 minutes a couple times. I also only charge to 90% at night as I have a 3 mile downhill coast when I leave in the morning, regens 0.7-1.0 kWh as I drive down.

98b6b9ec6ae2dfc554129e78f84f6a8f

Thank you EVchemist. Documents like this prove to service writers and technicians that a fix is available that does work, and puts an end to the run around some dealerships service advisors like to give as fact, when in reality, it's disinformation. The dealerships in and around Silicon Valley, seem to be some of the best for e-Golfs, they get the most amount of exposure, e-Golfs have sold very well in the surrounding areas, so the techs get lots of practice and exposure.

Back