Does the 2017 SE have a heat pump?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

owo

Can someone settle this question for me? According to a post on the official VW Canada site, "The 2017 e-Golf is equipped with a 'heat pump' as standard equipment" but according to the official 2017 e-Golf brochure, "Auxiliary heat pump" is only included on the SEL Premium and not SE. So which is it? Or does it vary by region?

Sources:
https://pulse.vwmodels.ca/2017/03/2017-e-golf-maximizing-electric-car-range-winter/
https://www.vw.com/content/dam/vwcom/brochures/2017/VW_MY17_eGolf_Digital.pdf

I believe all Canadian e-Golfs have a heat pump, based on the reviews and official literature, and because Canada has a cold climate requiring a heat pump for a small battery pack EV to get a 200 km range ( and VW knows this). If you still aren’t convinced, pop the hood on the car you intend to acquire and look for the additional aluminum (or steel) pipes running along the left side and rear of the motor bay connecting the compressor to the resistive heater. The USA e-Golf SE with ONLY resistive heater has a lot simpler piping layout with very few connecting pipes between the compressor (bottom front left of motor bay) and resistive heater ( upper rear left near firewall).

In addition, Canada does not have the SE / LE / SEL model designations that the USA uses. If you want information about Canadian models, you should be looking at VW.ca, not VW.com.

Thanks for the responses! I didn't realize US and Canadian models differed. I'm in the US and have a 2017 SE so I guess I'll just have to be extra judicious with cabin heating.

owo said:
Thanks for the responses! I didn't realize US and Canadian models differed. I'm in the US have a 2017 SE so I guess I'll just have to be extra judicious with cabin heating.

Dress appropriately in layers for the weather and the temperature elements outside also for when inside your car while driving, and the seat heater is your friend, for more range between recharges in cold weather. You can't have it all, petrol cars have that heat as an unintended byproduct, it's free, not so in an electric car. Bundle up, like you would on a bicycle.

Back