E-GOLF Federal Tax Credit

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What do we need in order to file for the credit? Is a 2017 E-Golf automatically eligible for the federal tax credit?

My tax preparer says I need to provide a manufacturer certificate to prove that the car is eligible for the tax credit. Is it really necessary? I do not recall the dealer has provided me such a certificate.

Any guidance will be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

The eGolf is eligible for the Federal Tax Credit. Here is the updated list from the IRS, sorted by manufacturer: https://www.irs.gov/businesses/qualified-vehicles-acquired-after-12-31-2009

Thank you. I understand the E-Golf is eligible. But my tax preparer said there must be a manufacturer certificate in order to claim the tax credit. I think what he meant is that even if he agreed that the E-Golf is eligible, he will not claim the credit for me without a manufacturer certificate. Is there really such a thing called 'manufacturer certificate'? If yes, where can I get it?

Once again, thank you for your help.

All I needed for Turbo Tax was a VIN and a date entered into service.

Your tax person should know better, they will need Form 8936 "Qualified Plug-in Electric Drive Motor Vehicle Credit" in which you will supply vin number and date vehicle was placed in service. That is all you need for Federal credit, your State may require more documentation. For example for Calif you have to supply documentation from the dealer.

Happy Credit Return

The other thing is, you have to owe at least $7,500 on your federal taxes, obviously. You just need to VIN and date you bought it, as others have said.

RonDawg said:
The eGolf is eligible for the Federal Tax Credit. Here is the updated list from the IRS, sorted by manufacturer: https://www.irs.gov/businesses/qualified-vehicles-acquired-after-12-31-2009 FM WhatsApp

May you share the manufacturers & models for new qualified clean vehicles purchased in 2023 or after? I searched for it but only found the new credits.

Back