Engine chirping noise at less than 10 MPH

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a 2019 with about 4K miles. Bought it new in June. Car has been making this chirping noise when I approach a stop light. I can't tell if this is the electronic sound that EV are supposed to make to warn pedestrians but the noise is audible inside the car. At high speed, the noise goes away. The best way to describe this is it is some sort of chirping that would come from an older car with suspension issues. I love the car but this is the only item in the car that I don't love. Any ideas what this is? I'd hate to take this to a dealer if this is a normal sound that these cars make. My previous two EVs (Leaf and i3) did not make such noises.

Title of post says “engine chirping”. There is no engine in the e-Golf. Could you be more descriptive, please? Is this a brake squealing sound only when braking? Do you hear the noise when at a stop? Do you hear it while coasting at 10 mph but not braking? Maybe record the sound to help with diagnosis?

I just retested and I confirm this noise is only present at the time of braking. I have taken this audio recording of this noise. Please review. It is the crackling sound that is of concern.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1sqII0yHmDFc1PNUcHo0iXTMp140Zak3s/view?usp=sharing

I'd try visually inspecting the brake disks/calipers and around the wheels for any foreign objects lodged in there (though seeing in there may be challenging with these wheels). The sound is not normal and I'd be heading to the dealer if I were you.

alteregolf said:
I'd try visually inspecting the brake disks/calipers and around the wheels for any foreign objects lodged in there (though seeing in there may be challenging with these wheels). The sound is not normal and I'd be heading to the dealer if I were you.

Thanks for this response. I have made an appt with the dealer to have this issue checked out. Will let you folks know how this pans out.

coupedncal1 said:
I just retested and I confirm this noise is only present at the time of braking. I have taken this audio recording of this noise. Please review. It is the crackling sound that is of concern.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1sqII0yHmDFc1PNUcHo0iXTMp140Zak3s/view?usp=sharing

Drive more, worry less.

These cars are so quiet, you now hear almost every operational noise, if driving around without music playing.

Back