Fast chargers

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After the trip from Hell yesterday when I couldn't understand my butt from a hole in the ground I have realized I am public charging stupid.

If I'm in PlugShare and I want to find a fast charging station for the e-Golf what am I looking for? From my research it seems CCS is our fast charging standard but the articles I read sometimes seem to contradict themselves.

What do I look for in the description of a public charging station that means it has a DC fast charger that I can plug in?

My lack of knowledge and other factors resulted with myself and my 9 year old son sitting at a level 2 charger at midnight waiting for a flatbed to tow us home, I had arrived at the station with 6 miles left of range to find it occupied by someone who had left their car to charge for the night I guess. This was after I charged up in Dublin at the VW dealer until range said 37 miles for my 21 mile trip home. I have since read up and realize range is not something you can trust, which I understand with load and elevation changes.

So I needed a fast charging station yesterday but for the life of me didn't know what "term" I should look for in either PlugShare or just going to different charging companies websites.

Also Car-Net doesn't know what level charging stations are just that they exist and we can charge at them.

Finally got home at 1am this morning so I have a really tired 9 year old ;-)

Tack (Swedish for Thanks),
Kevin

In plug share go the filters. Under connector, disable everything except for the SAE Combo. Also, only show the available chargers. Unfortunately, there aint that many - not like Chademo.

Go to Plugshare.com on a computer browser, not a phone browser or their app, although it can be done there.

To get this view of the fast chargers that are compatible with the e-Golf...

Plug_Share_Bay_Area_SAE.jpg

Click "More Options" in the Legend dialog box. Set it like this...

Plug_Share_Settings.jpg

Sign up with NRG EVgo here because all the fast charge stations in the Dublin/Pleasanton area are theirs. The Dublin Kia dealer is apparently not friendly to other makes even though they have a dual-standard fast charger. The EVgo Flex plan that has no monthly fee will cost you $10.95 for a 30 minute session ($4.95 + $0.20/minute). Even if your car could take more energy, I think they will stop at 30 minutes and if you want to charge more, you have to pay the $4.95/session fee again.

Back