Forward Collision Warning not working?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Today, while driving at a speed just over 40mph, I came very close to the car in front of me, and there was zero warning of braking from the e-golf.
I was not using ACC.
Isn't the car, based on what I read in the manual, equipped with this technology?
Thanks.

Was about to ask for the MY and trim of your car but your older posts indicate that you have 2019 SEL so it should have DAP and all the other goodies already included.

Not sure what to tell you other than that my 2019 SE (w/ DAP) shows "an exclamation point between two cars" icon on the dash when I get a little too close to the car in front of me. No other audible warning. This matches how the system is supposed to behave initially when detecting the car in front of you that you may be in danger of hitting. I have not been in a situation where there would be another audible warning or autonomous braking so cannot comment what specific conditions would trigger it.

I've had the warning to APPLY THE BRAKES or something like that in red a few times. Once was when the car in front of me on the freeway changed lanes and the traffic in front of him was very slow. It wasn't even close and I moved over 1 lane to avoid the slowness. I don't remember the other time other than me thinking "it's not that close". Both times it was the speed at which I was approaching the 'obstacle'.

Creeping in traffic though I can get really close to the car in front of me to the point that I'm sure I would run into the car in front of me if they were to brake suddenly. Must not work below a certain speed.

40 MPH is fast enough that it should be working for you.

I own a 2019 e-Golf SE w/ DAP and here are my observations and comments;

1) FCW (Forward Collision Warning)/ AEB (Autonomous Emergency Braking) does not work as the manual indicates it should!!!
a) FCW gave me 3 "false positives"; gives flashing red visual warning and audible "ding" when no other car or object was anywhere to be seen. The dealer replaced the electronic brake booster. Now, the brake pedal has an annoying squeek, which dealer claims they can't hear. The car was in the shop for 4 days for that "repair". The car still gives false positives and it is at the dealer again, this time for 4 days and counting.
b) I too have tried racing up behind the car in front of me on the freeway and no alarm or braking happens! My friend has a Chrysler Plug-In Hybrid mini van with FCW and it will flash the alarm when he follows too close.
c) My big concern here is the car might slam on the brakes on the freeway when there is no need and I'll get clobbered from behind.
d) ACC (Automated Cruise Control). This mode works very well; it reliably slows down aggressively if a car suddenly changes lanes in front of me or slams on the brakes. So, why doesn't FCW and AEB work; it seems like it uses the same technology??

2) RCW (Rear Collision Warning)/ AEB (Autonomous Emergency Braking) does not work as the manual indicates it should!!!
a) This feature alarms randomly; sometimes when the car behind is too close in traffic, and sometimes when there is cross traffic when backing out of a parking space is 50 feet away, but not always. One time it did sound an audible and flash when I was back up and there was immediate cross traffic, but it didn't apply the brakes. I had to mash on the brakes to avoid being clobbered.

Unfortunately, there seems to be a design problem with these modes where it doesn't work properly because of the regenerative "feathering" the brakes need to do between regeneration and friction braking.

The FCW is supposed to be a last ditch safety. I haven't seen the anomalies shared by others.

My observation is the bright red warning light comes on but doesn't apply the brakes. There was an instance where I was 20 feet away at 20mph and I got the red light beep warning but no brake. Here's one thing that might be happening. It could be the system is working, but I am applying the brakes a few milliseconds before the car's computer would have taken over. And then once you apply the brakes, it cancels the FCW routine. So you never know if its working.

Back