Free charging station locations

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A company called Volta is installing free charging stations at retail locations in CA and AZ. I dont see these showing up on other services like ChargePoint.

The link below is their locations map but even this isn't up to date since it doesn't show the two that went in about 3 months ago at a local Vons market in Hermosa Beach. It really is free, you just pull up and plug in, no registration or membership required.

Enjoy, and hope they continue to expand.

http://voltacharging.com/map

Not all ChargePoint locations require that you pay. For example, the ones at SoCalEdison charging stations are free, though you will need a CP keyfob, an RFID-enabled credit card, or a call to CP's Customer Service center to unlock the charge handles. I believe payment prices, or lack thereof, are set by the property holder that has them installed.

In PlugShare you can filter out "Payment Required" stations in the Settings menu. That will get you a list of free charging stations other than just ones from Volta.

That said, I am NOT a fan of free charging. These stations are often hogged by inconsiderate EV and PHEV drivers who live or work in the vicinity of those stations, and don't want to pay for the electricity. If it has to be free, I'd like to see a short time limit (1 hour max), with fees rising up steeply from there if you want to stay plugged in.

RonDawg said:
Not all ChargePoint locations require that you pay. For example, the ones at SoCalEdison charging stations are free, though you will need a CP keyfob, an RFID-enabled credit card, or a call to CP's Customer Service center to unlock the charge handles. I believe payment prices, or lack thereof, are set by the property holder that has them installed.

In PlugShare you can filter out "Payment Required" stations in the Settings menu. That will get you a list of free charging stations other than just ones from Volta.

That said, I am NOT a fan of free charging. These stations are often hogged by inconsiderate EV and PHEV drivers who live or work in the vicinity of those stations, and don't want to pay for the electricity. If it has to be free, I'd like to see a short time limit (1 hour max), with fees rising up steeply from there if you want to stay plugged in.

RonDawg, Thanks for your comprehensive reply, it's always good to know all the options, of course nowhere did I say, nor was I implying, that Volta is the ONLY free charging station, I was just making people aware of them.

As to who uses the free ones, I dont know all the local EV's so cant comment. But I guess its safe to assume they are local, after all who would drive from Hollywood just to use a free charger in Hermosa Beach? The fact of the matter is the Volta stations are funded by retail outlets to help drive (pun intended) traffic to their stores. This is a win/win, I know I like to support my local stores whenever possible, plus it brings visibility to the technology which will in turn hopefully make more people think about dumping their smog machines (when was the last time you saw gasoline being given away?).
I say well done to Volta, keep up the good work.

cynandvinecar said:
RonDawg, Thanks for your comprehensive reply, it's always good to know all the options, of course nowhere did I say, nor was I implying, that Volta is the ONLY free charging station, I was just making people aware of them.

Which is not what I implied either. All I said was that there was a way to find free charging stations in an area, Volta or otherwise. As an EVer, I am just trying to help out others. An EV newbie reading this thread (and in particular the thread title) might mistakenly think that the Volta EVSEs are the only free ones out there.

As to who uses the free ones, I dont know all the local EV's so cant comment. But I guess its safe to assume they are local, after all who would drive from Hollywood just to use a free charger in Hermosa Beach? The fact of the matter is the Volta stations are funded by retail outlets to help drive (pun intended) traffic to their stores. This is a win/win, I know I like to support my local stores whenever possible, plus it brings visibility to the technology which will in turn hopefully make more people think about dumping their smog machines (when was the last time you saw gasoline being given away?).
I say well done to Volta, keep up the good work.

It sounds like a noble purpose. But human beings are human beings and there are the selfish and inconsiderate ones among us, including the EV community. Tesla is finding that out the hard way when they promised "free charging for life" and now there are extended waits at many of their SuperCharger locations. Now they're backtracking a bit saying what they really meant was long distance travel and not regular charging, but they can't outright ban people from abusing the chargers simply because the cars were sold with that promise. They can limit future owners, but not current ones.

Unless the retail centers themselves impose a time limit, enforced by legally-acceptable signage and an invitation by the propery managers to have law enforcement cite those who overstay those limits, these free EVSEs will soon be monopolized by freeloaders, besides other challenges like being ICEd or vandalized.

Sorry to be the Debbie Downer, but I've been an EVer for almost 3 years and I've already seen quite a bit of this behavior. There are many free (and sometimes paid) public EVSE's that I won't even bother with during the daytime because I know there will be extended waits for an available one.

I'd like to see 1 hour limits and chargers at all Starbucks coffee shops... I don't know why, but business model wise, it seems like a good fit. Heck, they let you charge your phones and laptops for free there, go inside, grab a little nibble to eat with your Grande from your favorite Barista, and get an hour's worth of juice too, for your ever green EV.

@ blocks from my work is a company that generously offers their 4 level 2 chargers to the public, but the red-neck engineers in their pickups seem to enjoy parking in the EV spots. Probably think they are being ironic. I will tell you where if you are in the N San Jose area around McCarthy ranch, the chargers are NOT on ChargePoint and I think it's a good idea to keep them off there. PM me if interested.

RonDawg said:

Ditto, until my permit got pulled and my EVSE installed, I was somewhat at the mercy of this system, and the abuse of free chargers is and was rampant. By the same selfish people that think it's a parking spot while they work, not a recharging station. PHEV drivers in my area were the worst, followed by Fiat 500 owners, and two Leaf owners, who must have camped there. The annoying part is the PHEV Volts have a dead slow 3.2 kwh charger pack, and tiny battery, to boot, easily charged at home on 120V level 1 equipment that comes with the car, plus they can recharge with the gas powered generator on board also.

Back