Great moments in car sales history

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MLS

Based on an experience I had when shopping for my e-Golf, I thought we should start a thread celebrating those amazing fountains of accurate information and helpful tips: car salesmen! (and/or women)

I had been looking at different electric cars and had test-driven a Nissan Leaf and an e-Golf SEL already. I went to a dealership to test drive a 2016 e-Golf SE. The salesman tried to be very helpful, and even had a USB cable handy to show me how easy it was to plug my own phone in and use CarPlay. As I was getting ready to drive and he was showing me things in the car, I looked at the gearshift and asked "what is this letter B at the bottom?" I knew a little about this having to do with regenerative braking, and was hoping he'd talk a bit about that. Instead, he enthusiastically says "Oh that's Boost mode!" I decided not to argue with him and let it go. Halfway through the test drive, I'm on the freeway and he suddenly shifts the car into "B" and says "There's Boost mode! Do you feel it?" Luckily I had my foot on the accelerator at that moment or the car would've instantly braked as you are probably all well aware.

So here's to you, Mr. Car Salesman. Thanks for knowing the cars you sell inside and out!

MLS said:
Based on an experience I had when shopping for my e-Golf, I thought we should start a thread celebrating those amazing fountains of accurate information and helpful tips: car salesmen! (and/or women)

I had been looking at different electric cars and had test-driven a Nissan Leaf and an e-Golf SEL already. I went to a dealership to test drive a 2016 e-Golf SE. The salesman tried to be very helpful, and even had a USB cable handy to show me how easy it was to plug my own phone in and use CarPlay. As I was getting ready to drive and he was showing me things in the car, I looked at the gearshift and asked "what is this letter B at the bottom?" I knew a little about this having to do with regenerative braking, and was hoping he'd talk a bit about that. Instead, he enthusiastically says "Oh that's Boost mode!" I decided not to argue with him and let it go. Halfway through the test drive, I'm on the freeway and he suddenly shifts the car into "B" and says "There's Boost mode! Do you feel it?" Luckily I had my foot on the accelerator at that moment or the car would've instantly braked as you are probably all well aware.

So here's to you, Mr. Car Salesman. Thanks for knowing the cars you sell inside and out!

LOL, it's BRAKE BOOST mode.

Thank you for sharing -- I'm sure we all have a few stories of our own, but this is one of the best I've heard... Wow, I mean, wow.

sodakar said:
Thank you for sharing -- I'm sure we all have a few stories of our own, but this is one of the best I've heard... Wow, I mean, wow.
Actually my salesperson was the most knowledgeable about the e-Golf, the service department...not so good.

That's sure good one but my favorite so far is free oil changes for e-Golf that was circulated here at the forum :)

vetaldj said:
That's sure good one but my favorite so far is free oil changes for e-Golf that was circulated here at the forum :)

It's not just the eGolf...Leaf owners/lessees have gotten free oil change offers too. I suspect it's no different for 500e, FFE, Soul EV, etc. About the only one you won't see it happen for is Tesla, since they don't have any ICEV models, plus they own the dealerships so they control the marketing.

RonDawg said:
It's not just the eGolf...Leaf owners/lessees have gotten free oil change offers too. I suspect it's no different for 500e, FFE, Soul EV, etc. About the only one you won't see it happen for is Tesla, since they don't have any ICEV models, plus they own the dealerships so they control the marketing.

The 500e dealers are smarter than that. Too bad their 'CarNet' app REALLY SUCKS. haha

forbin404 said:
Actually my salesperson was the most knowledgeable about the e-Golf, the service department...not so good.

This seems to be the common story with VW. I would never, ever buy an ICE car from them. Heck, I'm even hesitant about an EV.

johnnylingo said:
forbin404 said:

This seems to be the common story with VW. I would never, ever buy an ICE car from them. Heck, I'm even hesitant about an EV.

The key to owning a VW and having a successful interface with your dealership is to deal with one or two good technicians, and one good service writer. Even then, you do need to know more about the car than they do, by actively reading on forums like this one, for common problems other folks have, that might relate to your problem.

It does not help if you drive your car hard, or modify them... as it makes the technicians job more difficult at times to get paid, as well as the service writers. They have to go then fight with VW of America for compensation.

I've owned a lot of TDI's and had good working relationships with most Service Writers. A few have been problematic, and since I specialize and own TDI's, and am well read on them, any of them that feed me a line get humbled shortly thereafter on their errors, learning that it doesn't work with me.

Back