How are inventory levels in CA?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sptgolf

I have a friend looking for an e-Golf near San Diego. Apparently there are 0 cars available and 17 in transit to the San Diego area according to VW.com. Anyone know of cars available? Hard to believe they are all sold out down here.

How far is he or she willing to travel? VW.com is reporting 21 nearby using a South Orange County zip code, and 50 near my home in northern LA County.

EDIT: clicking on the link, all 21 near South OC are in transit except for a white 2016 SE at Norm Reeves Irvine. Using my own zip code all 50 appear to be in transit.

Sptgolf said:
I have a friend looking for an e-Golf near San Diego. Apparently there are 0 cars available and 17 in transit to the San Diego area according to VW.com. Anyone know of cars available? Hard to believe they are all sold out down here.

Go wrangle your buddy a smoking deal on a blue 2015 at Coachella VW.

http://www.coachellavalleyvolkswagen.com/search/new/tp/s:tm1/?md=2939-egolf

http://www.mckennavwcerritos.com/new-inventory/index.htm?year=&model=e-Golf&bodyStyle=&trim=&internetPrice=&saveFacetState=true&lastFacetInteracted=inventory-listing1-facet-anchor-model-4

Thanks Joules. I just sent them over to him. What do you think a decent total lease cost would be for these older models?

Sptgolf said:
Thanks Joules. I just sent them over to him. What do you think a decent total lease cost would be for these older models?

I've no idea, I didn't lease.

Ask bizzle or look up some history on leasing prices from back in October or November of 2015 doing a "Search" and that should give you some better ideas. I think if you were to buy, like I did, you could get a great price, not so sure about leasing. I paid about $15,200 for mine, before taxes, registration and title fees, but after the CA state $2500 rebate and Federal $7500 tax credit. You have to make enough money in 2016 to at least be at or over $7500 in taxes paid and owed to the Fed, income wise, to get the full $7500 tax credit.

Your friend will also have to slow it waaaay, waaay down, with nothing electrical turned on, to get enough battery charge to make it home back to San Diego, or do a lay over one night, probably through Anza and then recharge fully in Temecula where he can charge with 120V, and add a few miles to his range to get home, or find a level 2 charger available in Temecula and hang out for 3 hours while the battery tops off again. Driving slower saves more time recharging than you gain driving fast. It's just the nature of electrical cars currently, unless you have a Tesla.

Here's one in Escondido:
http://www.mossyvolkswagen.com/new/Volkswagen/2016-Volkswagen-e-Golf-623b6eb30a0e0ae76ec9eb330329d36c.htm

At that MSRP I guess it has the fast charge package.

Thanks, looks like the new batch is starting to come in. Maybe the secret is out that these are great little cars.

Sptgolf said:
Thanks, looks like the new batch is starting to come in. Maybe the secret is out that these are great little cars.

Indeed, but the pricing should be much better on the old stock 2015's, you just have to have some negotiating skills to "git 'er done" with a number that works in your favor.

The dealerships with 2015's are extremely motivated now to move them out, so that they can get 2016's in.

Myself, I find the heater package, the LED headlights, and leatherette, and parking assist to be a necessity, as well as the 7.2 kwh charge features. Much much easier to do a deal if you can finance elsewhere, or buy outright, than lease.

There's a big invisible downside to buying a 2015 SEL at this point - a battery that's potentially been heat-soaked on a black asphalt parking lot at a high state of charge for upwards of a year.

JoulesThief said:
That's what warranty is for. You assume it's been stored with a full charge.
I don't assume that. All the cars on the lot that I saw when I was shopping had less than 3/4 charge sitting on the lot. The salesman even made a point of pulling the car up to the charging station as soon as we identified the one we would be getting so it would be closer to full by the time all the paperwork was done.

Yes, normally I have bought all my vehicles. But, with the EV's I think we are at an early stage of adoption where you may see something similar to Moore's Law happen with the rate of technological advancement (though probably not as fast). With the 200 mile range cars coming out later this year, the rate of depreciation will increase faster than traditional cars. We are already seeing the market flooded with used Leaf's in LA selling for 8-9k. Battery degradation also affects the used vehicle buyers mindset. If you can buy and hold and it suits your needs then that's works well. But if you try to sell in 3 or 4 years, I think the depreciation hit might be more than a lease with some good incentives. I leased mainly because of the business deduction and how fast the technology changes. Looking forward to a 200+ mile range car in 3 years.

miimura said:
JoulesThief said:
That's what warranty is for. You assume it's been stored with a full charge.
I don't assume that. All the cars on the lot that I saw when I was shopping had less than 3/4 charge sitting on the lot. The salesman even made a point of pulling the car up to the charging station as soon as we identified the one we would be getting so it would be closer to full by the time all the paperwork was done.

When I test drove mine, immediately before buying it, it was just about 3/8ths State of charge with 37 miles on it. Plugged it in while we waited in line for paperwork. Was 1 click short of a full charge when we drove off in it to go home.

Back