How can I buy being a resident of Texas?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
FYI to who ever cares..
I'm just outside Austin (where those few fast DC chargers are) and there is a couple dealerships in the Boston area that seemed willing to deal. We were (are?) only a small amount of money apart on a deal.
For that matter.. What would you expect a cash deal for a 2015 SEL be? (They won't lease to states VW Corp. doesn't endorse)

Manitou said:
FYI to who ever cares..
I'm just outside Austin (where those few fast DC chargers are) and there is a couple dealerships in the Boston area that seemed willing to deal. We were (are?) only a small amount of money apart on a deal.
For that matter.. What would you expect a cash deal for a 2015 SEL be? (They won't lease to states VW Corp. doesn't endorse)

Suggest you read all of page 252 and page 256 of the owners manual before buying, and before going hog wild on those fast DC chargers, as VW would like you to use them as infrequently as possible, they are not the preferred charging method. This doubly concerns you since you are buying to own, not lease.

I currently see only one SAE fast charger in all of Austin, that will fit your e-Golf.

Plan on immediately getting a 40 amp 240V level 2 EVSE wired in to your main panel where you live, for 3 hour recharges overnight, while you sleep, at 6 to up to 7.2 Kah. The EVSE will run 500-$700, and the install with permits, by an electrical contractor, probably 600 to $1200.

Good luck with your endeavor, let us know how quickly the range of your battery decreases.

Manitou said:
FYI to who ever cares..
Interesting - I didn't realize that some Boston area dealers would be willing to ship cars as far away as Texas. Have you tried Minuteman VW in Bedford, MA? It looks like they still have five 2015 SELs on the lot (3 blue, one silver, and one white). When we leased ours there in August, the top-line price (before taxes/title/fees; also before any rebates) was $28941.87 . I realize that others have gotten better deals, but that wasn't too bad for around here, and as long ago as August, and before federal, state, and VW Owner Loyalty credits - they're a bit of a hike from us, but the distance was worth it for us. Perhaps now they might be willing to go even lower - but I don't know if they'd be willing to ship. If you do talk to them, tell them the guy who leased two grey eGolfs in August sent you ;)

Their website is http://www.minutemanvw.com if you're interested. Good luck!

The VW eGolf manual does indeed have warnings about a few conditions which can reduce battery life:

"Frequent and consecutive high-voltage charging (including DC charging) can permanently decrease the capacity of the high-voltage battery. Battery capacity will decrease if you frequently and consecutively charge your vehicle at a DC charging station. Therefore always alternate high-voltage charging (including DC charging) and low-voltage charging. For example, you can charge your vehicle overhight at an AC charging station or use an AC Wallbox if the vehicle was charged at a DC charging station during the day."

"Frequent and consecutive charging of the high-voltage batter when the charge level is above 98% can also decrease the capacity of the high-voltage battery. Make sure the charge level is below 98% when you start the charging process."

"The high-voltage battery can be damaged and the capacity can be decreased when the vehicle is parked for longer than 24 hours when the ambient temperature is higher than 119 F (48 C). Always make sure that the high-voltage battery is not exposed to temperatures above 118 F (48 C) for a long time)."

(all the above are from Page 250 in my copy of the 2015 eGolf manual.)

All the above warnings relating to reducing battery capacity are on the charging and storage side - I haven't seen anywhere in the manual where it warns against any otherwise-permitted behavior on the discharge (driving) end of things; so unlike what others may have implied, VW does not have any warnings against driving at 65, 75, or even 85 mph - it shouldn't permanently reduce battery capacity. Driving quickly *will* consume more kWH/mile of course, so it will mean that when you do so you won't get as many miles before your next charge, but that's just temporary until the next charge/drive cycle.

I was interested and encouraged to see reports of the eGolf's power meter indicating reduced maximum power when the battery temperature got too high - I would speculate that this is the reason that VW doesn't warn against high-speed driving with respect to harming the battery even in warmer climates - the car itself will reduce power consumption to keep the battery within operating limits. I'm guessing that this is due to the "Battery Management Unit" described by the VW press release published at the link JoulesThief posted earlier (http://www.autoblog.com/2014/03/31/vw-e-golf-will-not-have-active-cooling-system-lithium-battery):

"As it relates to battery temperature, VW has developed a Battery Management Unit with an intelligent thermal control that allows the pack to remain within an optimal temperature window, helping to maintain performance and range in a variety of temperatures. This system allows the e-Golf to operate, even in more extreme temperatures, without the need of a cooling system and without dramatic impacts in performance based on testing."

So from what I've read on this forum and in the manual, if it was me, I'd be concerned primarily with being able to locate a local dealer who would be willing and competent to service your eGolf; secondarily perhaps I might worry a little about the 118 degree temperatures, but a quick check of Weather Underground history for Dallas (for example) shows a high in July of about 102 degrees, combined with overnight temperatures below 90 - in the heat of summer. Short of parking your car in a greenhouse, I'd think you'd be hard pressed to find a place that gets over 118 F except briefly and only occasionally, much less for an entire 24 hours period.

Of course I'd also heed the warnings about "frequent and consecutive fast charging", but that's the case whether you're in Texas or in New England, or anywhere else for that matter. :)

dublectric said:
The VW eGolf manual does indeed have warnings about a few conditions which can reduce battery life:

"Frequent and consecutive high-voltage charging (including DC charging) can permanently decrease the capacity of the high-voltage battery. Battery capacity will decrease if you frequently and consecutively charge your vehicle at a DC charging station. Therefore always alternate high-voltage charging (including DC charging) and low-voltage charging. For example, you can charge your vehicle overhight at an AC charging station or use an AC Wallbox if the vehicle was charged at a DC charging station during the day."

"Frequent and consecutive charging of the high-voltage batter when the charge level is above 98% can also decrease the capacity of the high-voltage battery. Make sure the charge level is below 98% when you start the charging process."

"The high-voltage battery can be damaged and the capacity can be decreased when the vehicle is parked for longer than 24 hours when the ambient temperature is higher than 119 F (48 C). Always make sure that the high-voltage battery is not exposed to temperatures above 118 F (48 C) for a long time)."

You park that car over hot black top in Texas from May through September in the Walmart parking lot that has baked in the sun, and the temp

(all the above are from Page 250 in my copy of the 2015 eGolf manual.)

All the above warnings relating to reducing battery capacity are on the charging and storage side - I haven't seen anywhere in the manual where it warns against any otherwise-permitted behavior on the discharge (driving) end of things; so unlike what others may have implied, VW does not have any warnings against driving at 65, 75, or even 85 mph - it shouldn't permanently reduce battery capacity. Driving quickly *will* consume more kWH/mile of course, so it will mean that when you do so you won't get as many miles before your next charge, but that's just temporary until the next charge/drive cycle.

I was interested and encouraged to see reports of the eGolf's power meter indicating reduced maximum power when the battery temperature got too high - I would speculate that this is the reason that VW doesn't warn against high-speed driving with respect to harming the battery even in warmer climates - the car itself will reduce power consumption to keep the battery within operating limits. I'm guessing that this is due to the "Battery Management Unit" described by the VW press release published at the link JoulesThief posted earlier (http://www.autoblog.com/2014/03/31/vw-e-golf-will-not-have-active-cooling-system-lithium-battery):

"As it relates to battery temperature, VW has developed a Battery Management Unit with an intelligent thermal control that allows the pack to remain within an optimal temperature window, helping to maintain performance and range in a variety of temperatures. This system allows the e-Golf to operate, even in more extreme temperatures, without the need of a cooling system and without dramatic impacts in performance based on testing."

So from what I've read on this forum and in the manual, if it was me, I'd be concerned primarily with being able to locate a local dealer who would be willing and competent to service your eGolf; secondarily perhaps I might worry a little about the 118 degree temperatures, but a quick check of Weather Underground history for Dallas (for example) shows a high in July of about 102 degrees, combined with overnight temperatures below 90 - in the heat of summer. Short of parking your car in a greenhouse, I'd think you'd be hard pressed to find a place that gets over 118 F except briefly and only occasionally, much less for an entire 24 hours period.

Of course I'd also heed the warnings about "frequent and consecutive fast charging", but that's the case whether you're in Texas or in New England, or anywhere else for that matter. :)

I wouldn't park that car over blacktop for 5 or 6 months out of the year in Texas, if that's where the DC charger is located. Parking over concrete would be another matter, but blacktop will radiate heat back up after being beaten on by the sun, and that heat will radiate right into the first thing above it, the battery pack.

dublectric said:
Manitou said:
FYI to who ever cares..
Interesting - I didn't realize that some Boston area dealers would be willing to ship cars as far away as Texas. Have you tried Minuteman VW in Bedford, MA? It looks like they still have five 2015 SELs on the lot (3 blue, one silver, and one white). When we leased ours there in August, the top-line price (before taxes/title/fees; also before any rebates) was $28941.87 . I realize that others have gotten better deals, but that wasn't too bad for around here, and as long ago as August, and before federal, state, and VW Owner Loyalty credits - they're a bit of a hike from us, but the distance was worth it for us. Perhaps now they might be willing to go even lower - but I don't know if they'd be willing to ship. If you do talk to them, tell them the guy who leased two grey eGolfs in August sent you ;)

Minutemanvw's site has amazing prices listed for egolf's. Too good to be true as it turns out. They are factoring in the 7500 off in that "10K-11K off".
Best deal I could find on a 2015 SEL so far is about 29K cash price (no vw loyalty, no state incentive, no fed credit accounted for in that price). I'm done looking for a while.

Manitou said:
dublectric said:
Manitou said:
FYI to who ever cares..

Minutemanvw's site has amazing prices listed for egolf's. Too good to be true as it turns out. They are factoring in the 7500 off in that "10K-11K off".

Best deal I could find on a 2015 SEL so far is about 29K cash price (no vw loyalty, no state incentive, no fed credit accounted for in that price). I'm done looking for a while.

What color exterior are you looking for? I am betting I could get you a silver 2015 for $27,272 in Long Beach, CA, if you pay in full with a cashiers check and your credit score is at or over 800

I'm also considering an EGolf in the Boston area. Most of the dealers seem to be playing the same trick of adding the fed rebate and advertising it as the discounted price. They seem to have increased their prices after the addition of the loyalty rebate. I'm planning on going to Minuteman for a test drive, will see how low they'll go. I have a troublefree 2007 GTI with 128,000 miles, my target is $20k after the tradein. I'll have to see if it's achievable. Otherwise, I'll be running the GTI to the ground and wait for the 200 miles EVs in the next 2-3 years.

I have never owned an EV. In theory there was is not much to break.

How often have the folks here had to have work done on the your egolfs?

miimura said:
JoulesThief, why are you still a VW customer? With that litany of complaints, I certainly wouldn't be. We traded in a 2001 Passat GLX Wagon, so I am familiar with some of VW's problems, but have no experience with TDI, thank god.

I enjoy the way German cars drive here in the mountains and canyons of the coast of California. An Audi or a VW is for me, I have the tools and the skills to service them and repair them myself, when the warranty runs out. But if I bought new, and paid new, for that warranty, then it's up to VW to honor the warranty. That's what I paid for, that's what is in writing, that's what I have to go after dealerships about to honor. The biggest problem with dealerships is that VW is so damn cheap on paying the dealers for warranty work shop rates. The technicians don't make much money on it, the dealerships don't make much money on it either. Therefore, it is in the dealerships interest to weasel out of as much warranty work as possible, and make the owner pay full pop retail prices on what is technically warranty work. And that is where the term "stealership" is earned. They have a habit of calling it "Customer Good Will" like they did you a favor, when indeed it is warranty work.

debelectric..what was your lease price for 12,000 miles an year?
Manitou..look at quirkvw, their advertised specials are usually good deals. They're advertisting a discount of $9,266 off MSRP. http://www.quirkvw.com/new-vehicles/vw-lease-and-finance-offers-near-boston-ma/

TheOath said:
I have never owned an EV. In theory there was is not much to break.

How often have the folks here had to have work done on the your egolfs?

In reality, there is one big concern... loss of driving range, loss of battery capacity, and the replacement cost of said battery, as well as the effects of heat and fast charging on it being somewhat known in the Lithium ion battery properties. How long does your cell phone battery last? How many recharges do you get out of the battery, as it's run time gets shorter and shorter? This isn't a cell phone battery, and you are tethered to electrical outlets, whether you like it or not. If that battery of yours breaks, think about the repair and replacement cost.

I got offered a price of $26,999 before the loyalty discount. I'll have to see if they pull any fast ones once I actually visit the dealership.

no2gas said:
I got offered a price of $26,999 before the loyalty discount. I'll have to see if they pull any fast ones once I actually visit the dealership.

Have them email that offer to you, then print it out. Ask for a complete break down of every line item by line item, and then an Out The Door Price, all of it, in an email. Their email is their offer, it's up to you if you accept it. That's a fine price if it's for a 2015 SEL. And even better if you qualify for VW Owner Loyalty package for another $2000 off.

The dealers are getting very competitive now that it's the end of the month. Another dealer offered the SEL for $24,600 after loyalty. I think in the end it's going to be who gives me the most for my 07 GTI.

no2gas said:
debelectric..what was your lease price for 12,000 miles an year?
Hi - sorry I haven't responded sooner.

Our lease:
2015 SEL Premium
10,000 mi/year
$4242 initial payment (including first monthly payment)
$169/mo (for 35 months)
Residual $13055
Vehicle price (before acquisition fee, tax, title, etc.) $28941.87 (does not reflect 7500 fed credit)

The initial and monthly lease payments *do* include $7500 fed credit; but was too early for the $2500 loyalty discount. Also does not include (yet) the state rebate.

After the state rebate comes, that offsets our initial payment, reducing initial outlay to $1742, plus the $169 monthly.

I know deals seem better now, but that wasn't bad for August.

How much did the other charges come to at Minuteman? The documentation fees, acquisition..etc?

no2gas said:
How much did the other charges come to at Minuteman? The documentation fees, acquisition..etc?
They don't make it easy to read the P&S and Lease agreements, do they? Gee, I wonder if that's intentional? ;)

The items I have are:
- Acquisition Fee: $625
- Total Fees & Tax: $535

That includes title fee, and registration (plates). Despite it saying "Tax" it does not include state sales tax on any down payment amount.

I got offered a 12,000 mile lease for $119 month including taxes and fees. The trade in was valued at $4500. The residual was a lot higher than I expected at $12,376. The purchase price would be $24,600 - $4500 trade in. I'm trying to decide between the lease or the trade in.

If you interesting in used I can sell you mine - it looks like my driving is way out of control now and I need to drive more then 100 miles a day without ability to charge at work...

I like it a lot but been towed twice to a charging already because of that.

let me know if you even consider that option.

2015 e Golf SEL Premium, Pacific Blue, beige interior, tinted, 9300 miles.

Back