I should have done more research

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If 20 ft of cable is enough.... http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00VB4C7H8/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_dp_ss_1?pf_rd_p=1944687742&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B00I4D6SJ2&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=031J3WFQ8KS5S333EAAB

If you'd prefer 24 feet of cable.... http://www.amazon.com/JuiceBox-Electric-Vehicle-Charging-Station/dp/B00I4D6SJ2

I bought 15 feet of 14-50 CAMCO extension cord for like $60 a few weeks back on line on Amazon, with free Prime shipping.

bizzle said:
jeep said:
I was tempted not to move to solar, but with the federal and local incentives I'll be paying 9K out of pocket for a 6kwh system ($17K quote - 30% fed - .50 cents/w local). The utility company will buy back excess for a little over 5 cents per kwh.

Can you share the details on which company you are working with for Solar?
Thanks
It's a local, family owned and operated company in Yuma, AZ. I'm out in Imperial Valley so I finally gave up trying to find someone local/SD area and expanded my search to Arizona since I'm fairly close to the border. I can PM you their info if you're nearby but they aren't a large outfit.[/quote]

I just got a quote for 6.5kW solar system and they were over $24k! I think I need to shop around a bit and see what I can do. I want to buy and not be stuck leasing/buying at only a 20% discount..

I had to upgrade my service panel (the one that the meter plugs into) to do both the 240V charger (Siemens VC30GRYU) and plan on getting solar this winter. The electrician charged $1,400 to do the whole job including the new panel, wiring the outlet and hanging the charger on the wall.

EVchemist said:
bizzle said:
jeep said:
I was tempted not to move to solar, but with the federal and local incentives I'll be paying 9K out of pocket for a 6kwh system ($17K quote - 30% fed - .50 cents/w local). The utility company will buy back excess for a little over 5 cents per kwh.

Can you share the details on which company you are working with for Solar?
Thanks
It's a local, family owned and operated company in Yuma, AZ. I'm out in Imperial Valley so I finally gave up trying to find someone local/SD area and expanded my search to Arizona since I'm fairly close to the border. I can PM you their info if you're nearby but they aren't a large outfit.

I just got a quote for 6.5kW solar system and they were over $24k! I think I need to shop around a bit and see what I can do. I want to buy and not be stuck leasing/buying at only a 20% discount..

I had to upgrade my service panel (the one that the meter plugs into) to do both the 240V charger (Siemens VC30GRYU) and plan on getting solar this winter. The electrician charged $1,400 to do the whole job including the new panel, wiring the outlet and hanging the charger on the wall.[/quote]

I went with Sungevity http://www.sungevity.com/get-your-i...un=email&ls=oursungevity-sungevity-us&#step-1, they have additional discounts if you got through a referral and my neighbor had Sungevity and referred me. I looked around and they had the best prices and good warranty combination, the alternate was to buy the panels yourself and get it installed by an installer, but then not sure how the federal rebate works, i.e., if you get the rebate on just the system or the installation cost as well. Going through Sungevity combines the installation and system costs. Full disclosure, the referrer also gets some incentive but much less than the person getting the system.

VWeGolf84 said:
Thanks for your posts and word of comfort. I currently have a 45 mile commute to work (each way) and chargepoint stations available at work but still had I known about the charging differences I would have most likely held off until the SE+7.2kw model was available. In the mornings there is no traffic and I am actually using more than 45miles worth of range. Considering the fact that chargepoint charges you based on time used and not electricity, the cost of charging is 2x with a 3.6kw charger vs 7.2kw charger. I'm also in the process of installing a 220v line in my house which should help. Bosch wants $2k for it! I will most likely have a local electrician do it
I guess my gripe here is with the dealer and VW. They need to let their customers know what the difference is. If the salesperson does not know what the response to a question is, don't make it up and lie.

Good news. After a few weeks of negotiating with the VW dealer, they are giving me $1,000 to pay for the Bosch charger and installation!

I currently drive a 16 se and work at a VW dealership. I was in ETKA looking at the "upgrade" from the 3.6 to the 7.2kw and it doesn't look like there is a huge difference (parts wise). The charger and one cable assembly would need to be changed. although the parts are not cheep and you would certainly void your warranty, it can be done.
Good deal getting them to pay for your EVSE!

Back