iPod charging

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kenward

Does anyone know if a 2015 SEL is supposed to charge an iPod, when connected via the MMI cable? My 2013 Leaf was able to do this.

My eGolf does not seem to charge my 5th gen iPod Classic. Instead the iPod gradually loses battery power until it becomes "not available" as a media source.

I've searched the forum and experience the same issues as others, included but not limited to not recognizing the iPod which worked great the last time I used the car, the media center starting up on some random FM station, the media center refusing to continue playing the last playlist/artist/album that was playing when I turned off the eGolf, etc.

Regards,
Ken

I don't know about you, but storing your music on an SD card and plugging it in the slot inside the glove box seems like so much less of a head ache. Or streaming it off your smart phone via bluetooth? Or plugging your smart phone in, instead, with stored music inside your smart phone?

The provided 30-pin cable should charge any iPod that can charge from USB. I have an iPod Classic with a hard disk inside, but I've never tried it in the e-Golf. Check to see if the iPod thinks it is charging or not. If not, then the MDI interface may be broken. I had the opposite problem with our 2015 LE - it would charge, but not recognize the device as an iPod. The dealer replaced the MDI interface box under warranty.

miimura: it charges intermittently. there have been at least 3 occasions when my iPod battery has been drained completely, although periodically the iPod indicates that it is being charged.

JoulesThief: you have posted a number of great replies! think that if you understood my use case, then your reply might be different. I add new songs/albums to my iTunes library. connecting my iPod syncs all the updates. take iPod to my eGolf, enjoy the new music during my commute. upon arrival at office, take my iPod inside & connect to an iPod player system. reverse for the commute home.

copying music from my iTunes library onto an SD card is a manual PITA and I can't play the SD card in my office. Sure I could use my iPhone but still can't play it in my office. why add the manual syncing headache plus loss of office functionality? the iPod is for music and the iPhone is for everything else. don't need to sync 2 devices when 1 is enough. They exist in harmony.

all I was asking about was iPod charging capability, not asking for advice on how to handle my music formats. charging is intermittent and right in line with my diminishing expectations of the 2015 eGolf SEL media handling system.

regards to both,
Ken

Ken, my eGolf does seem to charge both my iPhone 6S and my 1st gen iPod Touch, even if as I posted in another thread (that you may have read) that it sometimes won't play music off of either.

it is for these reasons, Apple formatting all music in ACC files, and their non standard electrical connectors, that I refuse to buy and use Apple phones or iPods. Sorry if I offended the OP, but Apple changes their jacks so frequently, that you end up with what you are experiencing.

If you can't get a Lightning cord from your local dealership to solve the problem, then it is what it is, in dealing with recharging while in your car... sorry I can't be of more help. You either need a new car, a newer cord, or a newer iPod. Take your pick. Hooking up one computer based system to another computer based system is never a smooth process, and evidently, neither is recharging them or powering them.

Of course, my first car had an 8 track tape system, later on a cassette tape system, then a built in 6 CD player. It wasn't until 2012 that I got an SD card player.

Honestly, I own a lot of stock in Apple, I don't understand the mystique of the products or loyal fan base, but as long as the masses love what they sell, which appears to be great, well thought out product, and keep spending their money on the product, I'm happy. Apple stock basically paid for my new e-Golf for me. Can't ever argue with that.

None of the iPod Classic models (the ones with the click wheel) use Lightning; that technology wasn't released to the public until 2012, about 3 years after the last iPod Classic revision in 2009. The 5th gen model the OP has was released in 2006. As far as Apple changing its interfaces "frequently", for iPod/iPhone/iPad there's just two: 30 pin and Lightning. Three if you count the early 30 pin iPods that charged and sync'ed via FireWire rather than USB.

The finicky-ness of the eGolf stereo towards iOS devices has nothing to do with Apple or its technology. My Leaf read my iPhone/iPod just fine. For that matter, so does the stereo in my 2006 Audi, as well as a number of rental cars I've used from various other manufacturers.

RonDawg said:
None of the iPod Classic models (the ones with the click wheel) use Lightning; that technology wasn't released to the public until 2012, about 3 years after the last iPod Classic revision in 2009. The 5th gen model the OP has was released in 2006. As far as Apple changing its interfaces "frequently", for iPod/iPhone/iPad there's just two: 30 pin and Lightning. Three if you count the early 30 pin iPods that charged and sync'ed via FireWire rather than USB.

The finicky-ness of the eGolf stereo towards iOS devices has nothing to do with Apple or its technology. My Leaf read my iPhone/iPod just fine. For that matter, so does the stereo in my 2006 Audi, as well as a number of rental cars I've used from various other manufacturers.

Then you blame the e-Golf stereo. Fine, find out who VW subcontracts it from. Panasonic? Someone else? USB and mini USB ported devices are not being reported as problematic, for recharging, are they? Why is it always Apple product that folks have problems with? Help me learn and understand why Apple is so problematic, compared to other formats, that the infotainment center won't recharge them?

JoulesThief said:
RonDawg said:

Then you blame the e-Golf stereo. Fine, find out who VW subcontracts it from. Panasonic? Someone else? USB and mini USB ported devices are not being reported as problematic, for recharging, are they? Why is it always Apple product that folks have problems with? Help me learn and understand why Apple is so problematic, compared to other formats, that the infotainment center won't recharge them?

Again, it's not Apple, it's VW (or whoever they contract with for the entertainment system on the eGolf, whether it be Panasonic, Clarion, Blaupunkt, etc.). Other cars that I've owned/borrowed/rented do not seem to have this issue with Apple portable devices.

I suspect it has to do with VAG's MMI system like that used on the 2015's, because again I don't have this issue on my 2006 Audi A3, which does not use MMI. Instead it has an iPod dock that takes the place of the glovebox-mounted 6 disc CD changer. As a result it only recognizes 6 playlists and does not display those names or the names of the tracks, but at least it works.

From this thread http://www.myvwegolf.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=746&p=6352&hilit=Android#p6352 it seems like a few folks are having issues with their Android devices with the Android Auto system on the 2016's. That's not surprising given the variations of OS within Android among different devices, even those released the same year.

JT: "it is for these reasons, Apple formatting all music in ACC files, and their non standard electrical connectors, that I refuse to buy and use Apple phones or iPods. Sorry if I offended the OP, but Apple changes their jacks so frequently, that you end up with what you are experiencing."

JoulesThief: I didn't read your comment as offensive, so no offense was taken. However if you're trying to offend me (I choose to believe you are not), you need to try a LOT harder! That being said, please don't take that as a challenge. ;-)

You've contributed a HUGE number of informational posts, answered a LOT of questions. Compliment: when I log into the forum, I always look for your posts first.

Best regards

CARiD said:
Even though playing music over the cable my not be as necessary as a phone charger, when the battery in your phone is dying.

http://www.thewirelessboysonline.com/original-car--apple-iphone-6-with-cable.html?utm_source=original-car--apple-iphone-6-with-cable&utm_medium=shopping%2Bengine&utm_campaign=googleproducts&gclid=Cj0KEQjwoM63B

Back