LED Bulb Replacement

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

garypen

I'm wondering if anybody has swapped out any of the few incandescent bulbs in their e-Golf for LED.
I don't mean swapping out the entire taillight assemblies, as my car is leased, and that ain't gonna happen.
But, I was contemplating swapping the brake and taillight bulbs, and the cargo and glovebox bulbs, which I believe are also incandescent. I prefer the whiter color of LED's, and the energy savings.
I already did the backup lights, as I originally thought they were the only halogens in the car, until I learned that was not the case.
So, I was wondering if anybody had any experiences with such a swap, and whether they were positive, negative, or neutral. (I do like the color of the Philips LED backup lights. But, they really aren't any brighter, which is disappointing.)

I had wondered if the rear lights were already LED, but I guess not. Isn't the license plate light LED? And would LED's play havoc with the turn signal speed, due to less resistance?

Unfortunately, those are all halogens in the taillight assemblies.
Just another example of global car companies dumbing down their product for the US market.

Sometimes switching to LED bulbs can cause problems - Rapid flashing turn signals as you point out, or fault codes and lamp error warnings in general.
That's why I thought I'd check with other owners to see if they've tried it, and if so, what their results have been.

In my case, swapping the backup lights for LED has caused no fault codes visible as warnings on the dash.
So, that's a start. In my other cars, LED front parking lights caused faults codes/warning lights.

Back