Locked my keys in my 2016 e-golf

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tornatore

I generally leave my keys in my backpack. On several occasions I've put my backpack into the trunk before unlocking the car, but thankfully the trunk still unlocks. Last night I did the same, but left the car several hours before trying to unlock it. Neither the trunk nor the doors would open. I'm disappointed with many of the software choices made on this car, but this one takes the cake. I needed to go home to get the other key to unlock it. Has anyone else dealt with this before? I did not renew CarNet, otherwise I would've unlocked the car with the app.

tornatore said:
I generally leave my keys in my backpack. On several occasions I've put my backpack into the trunk before unlocking the car, but thankfully the trunk still unlocks. Last night I did the same, but left the car several hours before trying to unlock it. Neither the trunk nor the doors would open. I'm disappointed with many of the software choices made on this car, but this one takes the cake. I needed to go home to get the other key to unlock it. Has anyone else dealt with this before? I did not renew CarNet, otherwise I would've unlocked the car with the app.
This happened with our car before too. I was able to use the CarNet app to unlock it. I did not pay anything to CarNet for our 2015 e-Golf and most of the app functions, including remote unlock, still work.

Ah, thanks. I just reinstalled the app. I'm certain that it wasn't working when I deleted it, but maybe user-error. It also works from the web site: https://carnet.vw.com/group/vwcwp/remote

tornatore said:
I know exactly how you feel having locked your keys in your trunk! Luckily for you though, you had a spare key that was somewhat close by. Having been in a similar predicament myself, I don't take my spare car keys for granted because they can be the deciding factor between having a great day and a nervous breakdown. This post I read on the necessity of spare car keys was talking about how much spare car keys help drivers minimize cost. Imagine how much you would have had to pay to get your car unlocked if you did not have a spare! It's also rather unfortunate that your Car Net app didn't work for you in this situation. This seems to be a sentiment echoed by most of the car net app users that I have spoken too. Many of them have mixed feelings about the application and find it unreliable at times. It seems we can't let go of traditional solutions like spare keys in favor of software apps just yet.

miimura said:
tornatore said:
This happened with our car before too. I was able to use the CarNet app to unlock it. I did not pay anything to CarNet for our 2015 e-Golf and most of the app functions, including remote unlock, still work.
I wanted to follow up on my own post to say that VW has made some changes in 2017. The entire Remote page in the CarNet iPhone app is disabled because I'm not paying for the full service. That means that the unlock feature is not available in the app. I am still using the most recent version of the iPhone app that has the black background. I have not tried the new one with the light background. The Unlock feature is also grayed out on the web site.

So, without paying for CarNet, this is today's status of the CarNet features for our 2015 US model e-Golf:
Enabled:
- Battery Status & Estimated Range
- Charge Timer Setting
- Remote Climate
- Trip Data (web only)
- Parked vehicle location

Disabled:
- Doors & Lights Status
- Remote Unlock
- Remote Honk & Flash
- Destination Transfer
- Boundary Alert
- Speed Alert
- Vehicle Health Report

miimura said:
tornatore said:
I generally leave my keys in my backpack. On several occasions I've put my backpack into the trunk before unlocking the car, but thankfully the trunk still unlocks. Last night I did the same, but left the car several hours before trying to unlock it. Neither the trunk nor the doors would open. I'm disappointed with many of the software choices made on this car, but this one takes the cake. I needed to go home to get the other key to unlock https://www.tenderbuttons.com/testo-max-review-results the Testo Max. Has anyone else dealt with this before? I did not renew CarNet, otherwise I would've unlocked the car with the app.

Interesting, could a hacker also use this app to unlock the car?

Thoms said:
miimura said:
tornatore said:

Interesting, could a hacker also use this app to unlock the car?
You might want to look at the date of that post, Nov 2016.

VW has updated the app since, and it no longer allows remote unlocking if you don't pay for it (after the 3 months trial)

But theoretically, yes, if a hacker gets a hold of the master PW for your car, he could access it. (But not start it, you need a different app for that)

Also, if you use the app, you need to authorize the device with a code sent to the phone number registered with the CarNet service. The web site requires the e-mail and password tied to the account in addition to the CarNet PIN. It is much more secure than the Toyota Entune system which is just a simple username and password system. However, Toyota can't unlock the car.

miimura said:
Also, if you use the app, you need to authorize the device with a code sent to the phone number registered with the CarNet service. The web site requires the e-mail and password tied to the account in addition to the CarNet PIN. It is much more secure than the Toyota Entune system which is just a simple username and password system. However, Toyota can't unlock the car.
Hmm, what about if the hacker goes to the car Direct? Didn't someone hack a jeep like that?

Back