Maintenance Schedule

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi,

I looked through the Maintenance schedule. I am a decent handyman, and have worked on cars before. Many items I can do myself, and many items are "inspection" items, some of which pertain to the high voltage battery/components.

This is my first leased car. My dealer charges $299 for each service interval (10k, 20k, 30k). Thinking of skipping some of the service. At the end of the lease, will the leasing company give me trouble/flak if I don't follow the maintenance schedule to the letter? What is everyone else doing? What has been your experience with leasing companies and maintenance schedules?

Thank you in advance for any advice. Thank you.

Buy the "plan" - it covers 20K and 30k for $500 (save $100); my opinion on doing it yourself, its an electric, I've never maintained an electric motor/drive and so I'd rather pony up $500 and not $5000 or worse if the electric motor/drive fail due to "improper maintenance"

Jlo said:
Buy the "plan" - it covers 20K and 30k for $500 (save $100); my opinion on doing it yourself, its an electric, I've never maintained an electric motor/drive and so I'd rather pony up $500 and not $5000 or worse if the electric motor/drive fail due to "improper maintenance"

There is nothing to maintain on the electric motor. It's a total ripoff.

Yeah, I bought the service, but I still have time to cancel it and get my full cost back.

I was going to keep it until I ready what they actually do. And that is basically just looking at the car. They don't really do anything to it besides look at it. Maybe a cabin filter or something, but other than that, nada.

I would spend the money on a Ross-Tech vag cable instead. Good thing I already have one from my Audi.

$500 is too much for this (I paid $199). But even though there is no ICE, transmission, or exhaust system there are still maintenance items for this car.

Visual inspections: Air bag system, 12v battery, high voltage battery system, brake pads and rotors, coolant and cooling system, A/C system, CV joints, outer and inner tie rods, door checks, headlight adjustment, windshield washers front and rear (and top off), tires (rotate).

Replace: dust and pollen filter (every 2 years), brake fluid (every 2 years)

All of those things individually are small items, but together it gets close to an hour of labor (book). At $130-140 per hour it can be a good value to pay for this up front.

HabemusQuattro said:
$500 is too much for this (I paid $199). But even though there is no ICE, transmission, or exhaust system there are still maintenance items for this car.

Visual inspections: Air bag system, 12v battery, high voltage battery system, brake pads and rotors, coolant and cooling system, A/C system, CV joints, outer and inner tie rods, door checks, headlight adjustment, windshield washers front and rear (and top off), tires (rotate).

Replace: dust and pollen filter (every 2 years), brake fluid (every 2 years)

All of those things individually are small items, but together it gets close to an hour of labor (book). At $130-140 per hour it can be a good value to pay for this up front.

I paid like $500 for both services. But, truthfully, I do not see any of those things taking more than 30 minutes total. Especially if you have an experienced and efficient tech. Most of those, they will verify through the OBD port and check codes. The rest is a walk around of the car. I still have time, so I am still on the fence.

Especially with LEWP, even if the brakes wear down to nothing by the time I bring it back in, great. I am not planning on keep this car past 3 years.

s4Alex - where did you pay $199 for a VW eGolf Service Plan? I'd like to contact them and buy one asap as I think they'll fly off the shelf at that price!

Jlo said:
s4Alex - where did you pay $199 for a VW eGolf Service Plan? I'd like to contact them and buy one asap as I think they'll fly off the shelf at that price!

I didn't pay that. I paid $450 for both 20k and 30k.

VW's official prices for their maintenance plans on the eGolf are $509 for 3 years/30k miles and $529 for 5 years/50k miles.

http://www.vwserviceandparts.com/volkswagen-maintenance-plans/

But note that the gas version prices are much cheaper, and even the Touareg with its AWD system has a cheaper maintenance plan. Only the non-Touareg diesels have a more expensive service plan ($689 for the 5 year one). With that in mind I still think the eGolf maintenance plan prices are a ripoff.

RonDawg said:
VW's official prices for their maintenance plans on the eGolf are $509 for 3 years/30k miles and $529 for 5 years/50k miles.

Wow. Looking at that plan it seems that the 2016 cars don't even get the first service included. There's almost nothing to that service (unless it's changed for 2016, but I can't think why it would) so the fact they've removed it as a free check is a bit customer-hostile. It's almost like they don't want to make EVs attractive.

Even leaving aside the first service, the 20,000 mile service is not particularly extensive either:
  • Dust and pollen filter: Replace
    Tires: Rotate front to rear
    12 Volt Battery - perform diagnosis
    Brakes: Inspect brake system and shock absorber for leaks and damage, check thickness of brake pads, brake disc condition and check brake fluid level
    Every 1 year - Airbag system - visual check
    High voltage battery: Check charge level and charge if necessary
    High voltage charging cable: Visual inspection for contamination and damage
    High voltage charging socket in the tank cover: Visual inspection for damage
    High voltage components: Visual inspection for damage to the high voltage components and lines, battery box, high voltage connections and coolant connections, and labels in the engine compartment and rear area
    Rear window: check cleaning nozzle functionality (if applicable)
    Service interval display - Reset (if applicable)
    Service sticker: Enter the date of the next service on the service sticker and apply to windshield
    Tires: Check tread depth, condition wear pattern and pressure of all tires (including spare)
    Windshield washers, headlight cleaning system, and wiper blades: Check for damage and function, check fluid level and add if necessary
There's nothing in there that is extra time consuming or difficult because the car is electric. The only tasks specific to the high voltage system are visual inspections which might take 10 minutes with the car on a lift. Things like checking the rear window cleaning nozzle just seem like busy work to me - if you have a problem with cleaning the rear window you're hardly likely to wait until the next 10K service to have the dealer look at it... just stick a pin in the opening or clean the nozzle with a rag..!
From what I can tell on my dealer's website, the 30,000 mile service is identical.

Charging 3x the price of the service plan for ICE cars, where at least they have to change oil and oil filter every 10K miles is just a blatant rip off in my opinion. Maybe we should complain to someone like the BBB and have them look at the fairness of the plans. Who would have authority over price gouging..?

GadgetGav said:
RonDawg said:

Wow. Looking at that plan it seems that the 2016 cars don't even get the first service included. There's almost nothing to that service (unless it's changed for 2016, but I can't think why it would) so the fact they've removed it as a free check is a bit customer-hostile. It's almost like they don't want to make EVs attractive.

Even leaving aside the first service, the 20,000 mile service is not particularly extensive either:
  • Dust and pollen filter: Replace
    Tires: Rotate front to rear
    12 Volt Battery - perform diagnosis
    Brakes: Inspect brake system and shock absorber for leaks and damage, check thickness of brake pads, brake disc condition and check brake fluid level
    Every 1 year - Airbag system - visual check
    High voltage battery: Check charge level and charge if necessary
    High voltage charging cable: Visual inspection for contamination and damage
    High voltage charging socket in the tank cover: Visual inspection for damage
    High voltage components: Visual inspection for damage to the high voltage components and lines, battery box, high voltage connections and coolant connections, and labels in the engine compartment and rear area
    Rear window: check cleaning nozzle functionality (if applicable)
    Service interval display - Reset (if applicable)
    Service sticker: Enter the date of the next service on the service sticker and apply to windshield
    Tires: Check tread depth, condition wear pattern and pressure of all tires (including spare)
    Windshield washers, headlight cleaning system, and wiper blades: Check for damage and function, check fluid level and add if necessary
There's nothing in there that is extra time consuming or difficult because the car is electric. The only tasks specific to the high voltage system are visual inspections which might take 10 minutes with the car on a lift. Things like checking the rear window cleaning nozzle just seem like busy work to me - if you have a problem with cleaning the rear window you're hardly likely to wait until the next 10K service to have the dealer look at it... just stick a pin in the opening or clean the nozzle with a rag..!
From what I can tell on my dealer's website, the 30,000 mile service is identical.

Charging 3x the price of the service plan for ICE cars, where at least they have to change oil and oil filter every 10K miles is just a blatant rip off in my opinion. Maybe we should complain to someone like the BBB and have them look at the fairness of the plans. Who would have authority over price gouging..?

I think it's a $529 contract for VW to perform the 10k, 20k, 30k, 40k and 50k check ups. Or $106 a visit.

JoulesThief said:
I think it's a $529 contract for VW to perform the 10k, 20k, 30k, 40k and 50k check ups. Or $106 a visit.
The prices in that link are $149 for 3 years / 30,000 miles for gas & hybrid cars, $456 for e-golf. There is no way that three, mostly visual inspection, services for the e-golf should be charged at 3x the ICE / hybrid rate.

The prices at 5 years / 50,000 miles do tip back slightly in the e-golf's favor; $569 for gas / hybrid and $501 for the e-golf but that's because ICE cars have timing belts and the like that start to need replacing at that kind of milage.

$50 per service for ICE where there is an oil change involved vs $150 per service for EV which has *less* work involved is not justifiable.
If it's really $106 per service and (for 2015 cars) the first one is free, there's no point in buying the $456 package anyway. Surely for their own marketing they'd make it look like a deal to pre-pay for the service plan..?

GadgetGav said:
JoulesThief said:
The prices in that link are $149 for 3 years / 30,000 miles for gas & hybrid cars, $456 for e-golf. There is no way that three, mostly visual inspection, services for the e-golf should be charged at 3x the ICE / hybrid rate.

The prices at 5 years / 50,000 miles do tip back slightly in the e-golf's favor; $569 for gas / hybrid and $501 for the e-golf but that's because ICE cars have timing belts and the like that start to need replacing at that kind of milage.

$50 per service for ICE where there is an oil change involved vs $150 per service for EV which has *less* work involved is not justifiable.
If it's really $106 per service and (for 2015 cars) the first one is free, there's no point in buying the $456 package anyway. Surely for their own marketing they'd make it look like a deal to pre-pay for the service plan..?

Dealerships are in self preservation mode to keep the bays open on electric cars. A fool and their money are soon separated.

Smart money says don't park your VW anywhere near rodents or rats that like to chew on electrical insulation on your wiring. If you have a rat problem, eradicate it immediately if you see rat dung anywhere near you park.

VW's are good urban hard concrete or asphalt pavement vehicles, they are not good in rural areas, farming areas, or areas populated with normal wildlife, or gravel or dirt roads.

These are optional plans so no one will have authority to investigate accusations of "price gouging."

If you don't want it, for whatever reason including thinking it's not cost-effective, then don't buy it.
If a dealership forces a it packaged with a sale, that's already governed by current law.

I don't think any of the current cars have a 50,000 timing belt interval, but DSGs do require maintenance at 40k.

bizzle said:
These are optional plans so no one will have authority to investigate accusations of "price gouging."

If you don't want it, for whatever reason including thinking it's not cost-effective, then don't buy it.
If a dealership forces a it packaged with a sale, that's already governed by current law.

I don't think any of the current cars have a 50,000 timing belt interval, but DSGs do require maintenance at 40k.

My 2014 passat has a 130k timing belt and water pump job at the same time.

bizzle said:

Do the dealers publish list prices for individual services? Where does the $106 figure come from? How will we know if it's a good deal or not if we can't compare per-service pricing against the package?

Back