Missing Rubber Gasket where Windshield Meets the Roof

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Szyszka

When cleaning the car at night today I happened to shine the light in the area where the windshield meets the roof and was somewhat puzzled by the fact that I could almost 'peek inside' and see what looks like the edge of the black, bonding material (sorry for the lack of a better word) that I think holds the windshield to the frame of the car. Almost as if there was a piece of rubber gasket missing from this little area.

Well, sure enough - a quick look at the same spot on my 2017 GTI confirmed that such a piece was put in place 2 years ago to - I am sure - provide additional water barrier.

Have something change between now and 2 years ago? So far, no leaks to speak of but if that rubber gasket is indeed missing, I guess I should have it, right? Before a visit to the dealer, I would appreciate if any fellow owners of 2019 could take a look and report their findings.

Pic uloaded below....

At the top of the windshield? My 2019 has this gap too. My 2003 Jetta TDI has that gap too - no filler. Figure it's just what VW does.
(FWIW, I think our 2018 Mazda 3 is the same way)

eGolfJoe said:
At the top of the windshield? My 2019 has this gap too. My 2003 Jetta TDI has that gap too - no filler. Figure it's just what VW does.
(FWIW, I think our 2018 Mazda 3 is the same way)

Thanks for checking! Glad to hear this is 'by design' and not a defect of some sort.

(tried to snap a quick photo this morning but it does not show it well)

Here are the pics....

GTI (2017)
49028576751_58dafba7ff.jpg

e-Golf (2019)
49028787887_0dbbd08df2.jpg

I hope you can see the difference between the two. There clearly is a rubber gasket of some sort on the GTI. As I said, since there are no leaks to date, this is really not to indicate any particular problem but simply to note the difference between the two very similar (and yet, different) models.

Back