NEMA 14-50

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kaya

I have a NEMA 14-50 outlet in the garage and planning to buy 2018 eGolf. Circuit panel is 40Amps. So I should be able to make full use of 7.2kwhr on board charger.

Does the eGolf come with a standard L2 changing cable I can use? If not, do you have any recommendations for EVSE that can connect to NEM 14-50?

Thanks in advance!

It only comes with an L1.

If you already have a NEMA 14-50 a Juicebox Pro 40 ($549-599 at Amazon) is what you want to get.

I see thanks. JuiceBox Pro 40 seem to have advanced WiFi control and smart grid features. I hope I can find a cheaper & dumber EVSE that only connects to the wall.

Kaya said:
I see thanks. JuiceBox Pro 40 seem to have advanced WiFi control and smart grid features. I hope I can find a cheaper & dumber EVSE that only connects to the wall.
Well you didn't say you wanted a CHEAP charger...some of those will have issues with the VW.

I would stay away from the no name Chinese knock offs if you can, a fire is something that can ruin your whole life.
Some Clipper Creeks (The older model) does have issues with the VW and delayed charging.
And definitely some issues with the Siemens' model.

At this point you have to either change the plug (About $50 if you know someone) and get the Turbocord ($390) or go direct wire (More money). That's why I recommend the Juicebox. It's good and it will last you for the years you will own this car.
Just remember that the 14-50 is the best charger plug for the Juicebox. The 6-50 works as well.

I have a weird one which is a 6-50R which is what they use at RV parks.
Here's a link to a guy who's tested all of them, he likes the Siemens, but I've seen a few posts here where it won't work with the VW properly.

https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-ev-charging-stations/

forbin404 said:
Kaya said:
Well you didn't say you wanted a CHEAP charger...some of those will have issues with the VW.

I would stay away from the no name Chinese knock offs if you can, a fire is something that can ruin your whole life.
Some Clipper Creeks (The older model) does have issues with the VW and delayed charging.
And definitely some issues with the Siemens' model.

At this point you have to either change the plug (About $50 if you know someone) and get the Turbocord ($390) or go direct wire (More money). That's why I recommend the Juicebox. It's good and it will last you for the years you will own this car.
Just remember that the 14-50 is the best charger plug for the Juicebox. The 6-50 works as well.

I have a weird one which is a 6-50R which is what they use at RV parks.
Here's a link to a guy who's tested all of them, he likes the Siemens, but I've seen a few posts here where it won't work with the VW properly.

https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-ev-charging-stations/

A NEMA 14-50 outlet, to be to code, needs to be wired to handle 50 Amps at 240 Volts. It is common at RV parks, it has a ground and a neutral wire, and 2 hot wires, 180 degrees out of phase.

A 6-50R is a 3 wire outlet, again 50 Amps, 2 hots and a ground. It is very common in industrial complexes and welding shops with large Arc welders.

Kaya said:
I hope I can find a cheaper & dumber EVSE that only connects to the wall.

Once the charger gets to 24, 32, or 40A even the dumb ones are over $500

Clipper Creek 24A $515
Clipper Creek 32A $660

Seeing how the e-Golf's delayed charging is confusing and problematic, I'd recommend a smart one for the same price

JuiceBox $600
OpenEVSE $600

Or, change the outlet to NEMA 6-50 and get a couple more options...

Siemens $450
ChargePoint $650

If you really want cheapo, there's 16A chargers in the $200-300 range, but seeing as a dedicated 20A circuit will require an electrician's visit, you won't save much money in the end. 16A x 240V = 3.840 kW so full charge would take 10-11 hours.

Kaya said:
I have a NEMA 14-50 outlet in the garage and planning to buy 2018 eGolf. Circuit panel is 40Amps. So I should be able to make full use of 7.2kwhr on board charger.

Does the eGolf come with a standard L2 changing cable I can use? If not, do you have any recommendations for EVSE that can connect to NEM 14-50?

Thanks in advance!
Are you in US or Canada?

As stated above, a 14-50 socket should have wire and breaker sized for 50 amps. However, if you are going to connect a 30 or 32 amp EVSE only, the 40 amp breaker would be OK. One 32 amp unit that is available with the 14-50 plug already connected is the Clipper Creek HCS-40P

Sun Country sells a private label version of that unit in Canada and it's eligible for local incentives - Sun Country EV40PR
If you buy an American EVSE and ship it to Canada, it will work but you can't get the local EVSE rebate.

Thanks for the replies. I am in California.

I checked my circuit box, it is 50Amps.

I think I will bite the bullet and get the $600 Juicebox EVSE Cable.

You're making the right decision.

I was hesitant about plopping down $700 for the Chargepoint but starting each day with a "full tank" and not watching paint dry with L1 charging or fighting for cheap/free public L2 chargers has been money well spent. Just wish I'd done it in 2016 and got the tax deduction.

Kaya said:
Thanks for the replies. I am in California.

I checked my circuit box, it is 50Amps.

I think I will bite the bullet and get the $600 Juicebox EVSE Cable.

I've had my JuiceBox 40 Pro for 25 months now. Flawless, although sometimes the plug is a little tight in my 2015 SEL. But the electrical pins in mine at home are not burnt, damaged, or abused in any way, shape or form, like I see at public, well abused EVSE units. If it's not your EVSE unit, the probability of abuse is much higher. I don't want to risk my VW EVSE connector on my e-Golf to crappy abused EVSE handles, if I can avoid it at all costs. Charging at home on my EVSE avoids all that risk, best money I've spent, knowing I am treating my equipment right.

BTW here's a link on a house fire caused by buying a 'small charger' online.
(It's 5 years old btw)

http://www.nbc-2.com/story/19773750/estero-fire-caused-by-smart-car-charger?autoStart=true&topVideoCatNo=default&clipId=7820491

johnnylingo said:
You're making the right decision.

I was hesitant about plopping down $700 for the Chargepoint but starting each day with a "full tank" and not watching paint dry with L1 charging or fighting for cheap/free public L2 chargers has been money well spent. Just wish I'd done it in 2016 and got the tax deduction.

/\ Words of wisdom. My experience matches yours. Bought my 2015 SEL in Oct of 2015, and have never looked back with my Juicebox 40 Pro.

Back