New SE owner

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After half a year of researching and waiting, I finally drove home today in a 2016 SE, white/black.

I have been trying to get a 2015 SEL for a month now, but couldn't get any dealers to meet the numbers that I wanted. That's ok, because then I did some research on the SE, after initially blowing it off without much research, and realized that it would be fine for me. And with the numbers on a lease for one of those, I couldn't pass it up.

I drive on average about 20 miles a day. Mostly local.

I got a SoCal dealer, South Coast (formerly Commonwealth), to match one of the NorCal ads. Awesome experience with every aspect of the process.

36 month, 7500 miles a year
Received loyalty $2000.
$79 a month base price
They sold me on the wear and tear, after about 30 minutes of asking questions, reading things. Original quoted price was 750, which I already thought was very aggressive. They then came down to 650, which ads about $18 a month. I can live with that. With four kids, I will definitely take advantage of it.
$2550 drive out.
With tax and wear and tear, $106 monthly.

For me, the finances were all about total dollars spent over the life of the lease (drive out + 35 months at monthly rate). Calculate in the $2500 I should expect to get from California in a month or two, and I'm spending about $3700 (and that's including tax). Made total sense to me. Gas vs electricity savings, assumed depreciation from my old car, the math is so favorable.

Fun times!

It even gets better.
Basically did the same deal w/o loyalty perk two weeks ago.
2016 SE is fun to drive, fast and comfortable.
Not an ugly leaf or prius.
Car pool lane stickers arrived yesterday.
$2 less per toll at Golden Gate Bridge.
At my 20 miles a day average, the PG&E bill actually comes in lower than before the car since I charge after 11pm and have the new EV time of use rates. Savings in gas pays for the lease!
Back and forth to SF with no problem from Los Altos. But if needed can charge for free at Union Square garage.
Maybe I'll get another one!

chencezann said:
After half a year of researching and waiting, I finally drove home today in a 2016 SE, white/black.

I have been trying to get a 2015 SEL for a month now, but couldn't get any dealers to meet the numbers that I wanted. That's ok, because then I did some research on the SE, after initially blowing it off without much research, and realized that it would be fine for me. And with the numbers on a lease for one of those, I couldn't pass it up.

I drive on average about 20 miles a day. Mostly local.

I got a SoCal dealer, South Coast (formerly Commonwealth), to match one of the NorCal ads. Awesome experience with every aspect of the process.

36 month, 7500 miles a year
Received loyalty $2000.
$79 a month base price
They sold me on the wear and tear, after about 30 minutes of asking questions, reading things. Original quoted price was 750, which I already thought was very aggressive. They then came down to 650, which ads about $18 a month. I can live with that. With four kids, I will definitely take advantage of it.
$2550 drive out.
With tax and wear and tear, $106 monthly.

For me, the finances were all about total dollars spent over the life of the lease (drive out + 35 months at monthly rate). Calculate in the $2500 I should expect to get from California in a month or two, and I'm spending about $3700 (and that's including tax). Made total sense to me. Gas vs electricity savings, assumed depreciation from my old car, the math is so favorable.

Fun times!

Hi - I just found this forum, and there are so many posts that are answering my exact questions it is amazing. I live in So Cal (orange county) and am looking for the exact same deal that you just posted about. Did you have a specific Sales person at Southcoast VW that you worked with? My wife and I are going to go and test drive a 2016 eGolf SE tonight at that location. We are ready to pull the trigger if we can get a deal that matched yours. Did you have a hard time getting them to match the $79 / nor cal deal at all? Thanks for any information.
cheers

Go see Olias Lynch, fleet manager. He's great. You may have to work for the same deal. I had a tough time with any SoCal dealer to get them to match.

chencezann said:
Go see Olias Lynch, fleet manager. He's great. You may have to work for the same deal. I had a tough time with any SoCal dealer to get them to match.

Hey thanks for the response. I will see if I can speak wiith Olias. The best deal they are offering us right now is $124/month w/ $2500 down. That includes the wear and tear insurance. I am hoping to get to less than $4000 out of pocket total for the whole lease. Might not be possible. They don't seem to be moving down much.

blink said:
chencezann said:

Hey thanks for the response. I will see if I can speak wiith Olias. The best deal they are offering us right now is $124/month w/ $2500 down. That includes the wear and tear insurance. I am hoping to get to less than $4000 out of pocket total for the whole lease. Might not be possible. They don't seem to be moving down much.
Did you get your deal?

If you take a written offer from one of those northern california dealers into Irvine they'll match. That's what they told me over the phone. Your $124 isn't bad if it's for 10K miles.

I finalized for 10K miles, wear and tear, and $0 out of pocket (with loyalty bonus) for $215 per month after taxes.
If you want that deal I can help you with it.

Our dealers don't seem to be moving much down from these prices, that's for sure. But we also aren't up north signing papers so the deals may end up the same once we're shown the dotted line. I know one of the deals quoted here was for a single stock offering deep in the fine print (meaning they had one car at that "advertised" price and it was already sold of course).

Back