Questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello,

One week with the new e-golf, and so far loving it.
A few questions that the manual and google can't answer, or I am unable to find, hoping you all may know and would be willing to share.
(2019 SEL)

1) When backing up, I hear the proximity alarm beep but don't see any indication on what / where the car is too close to. (In forward driving the display changes to show just that). Is there a setting that needs to be changed?

2) Figured out that there is no cell wifi accessory for US e-golf to create hotspot on its own without tethering to the phone. Correct?

3) In central (non touch) display, is there a way to zoom in when selecting to view the navigation? Have tried changing the zoom on the main nav (touch screen) but it does not seem to change the one on the central screen

4) Related to above, when selecting to view Assist on the central screen, all I ever see is a "road" with nothing else showing or changing. Is this all there is on this screen?

5) Also related, on some of the View options for the central screen, the left hand circle changes but all that shows on the right side in a picture of the car. Normal or can this be set to other options?

6) Windshield fluid goes all over the windshield as well as roof and side windows. Can the intensity be changed? I did make sure the nozzles were not plugged up

7) Is there a trick to removing the back seat headrests? We push in the two buttons and try to pull but it will not budge. It will go down one and back up one

8) Nav data. It shows 2018/19 as the version. Is there a newer one and if so, how does one get it? (My house, which is 3 years old, does not show up on the nav...

I am sure that there will be more questions, but these are the ones so far.

Thanks!

I drive a 2015 e-Golf SEL Premium, so I can only answer a few of these since your car is the newer one.

1) Park Distance Control comes standard, they call it ParkPilot which can be activated by using the P button next to the gear shifter.

2) That is correct, there is no WiFi Hotspot in any e-Golf Year/Trim. Wish this wasn't the case though.

3, 4 and 5) Cannot answer as I have an older version of the instrument cluster than you do, sadly.

6) Might want to call your local Volkswagen Dealer/Service Center and see if they could adjust it for you, it may be allowing the use of the washer fluid too much and may need to be adjusted appropriately.

7) From what I could tell, I tried the same thing as you but from my experience, I cant remove mine either.

8) Nav Data for me is 2015, so I do need to update mine. I checked on the Volkswagen Website for you and your car has the latest navigation though you can keep checking here (https://vw.navigation.com/home/en_US/VWNA/USD) in case your model year shows up anytime soon.

Thank you, tslabc17.

Question 1, is about hearing the beeps but there is no accompanying visual during backup to tell me which part of the car is close to an object.
Wondering if it is possible to have the visual during back up.

in2insight said:
Thank you, tslabc17.

Question 1, is about hearing the beeps but there is no accompanying visual during backup to tell me which part of the car is close to an object.
Wondering if it is possible to have the visual during back up.

My 2015 SEL, using park assist to back up, very clearly uses all four speakers, in various locations, to tell me when I am close to an object. Use the audible in conjunction with turning your head around to actually see your proximity to objects around you when parking. No different than a farting Tesla that uses various speakers in the vehicle to make it look like which passenger cut the cheese.

Don't rely on the backup camera, it's fish eye camera distortion will cause you grief and contact with an immovable object, sooner or later. You'll end up with a bunch of curbed rims if you do.

(1) When backing up, I hear the proximity alarm beep but don't see any indication on what / where the car is too close to. (In forward driving the display changes to show just that). Is there a setting that needs to be changed?

When backing up, it defaults to the camera... there is a button on the left-top corner you can press to get the sensor display to see what you may (or may) not be hitting.

3) In central (non touch) display, is there a way to zoom in when selecting to view the navigation? Have tried changing the zoom on the main nav (touch screen) but it does not seem to change the one on the central screen

Probably not, you can make that nav screen show a little bigger (or smaller) but that is all

4) Related to above, when selecting to view Assist on the central screen, all I ever see is a "road" with nothing else showing or changing. Is this all there is on this screen?

That's all there is, that is for ACC. You should see when a car appears in front, and also it try to ID lanes (the "road" lines will change colors). That display can be seen in two other spots in the dash as well.

5) Also related, on some of the View options for the central screen, the left hand circle changes but all that shows on the right side in a picture of the car. Normal or can this be set to other options?

The right side doesn't really do much. It seems like it should (and maybe it does), and I'm not even sure what the sliding aspect within the speedometer does (to the side of the car image) is:

https://imgur.com/a/cq6gWXX

Maybe someone knows, they do move but I'm not sure what the movement means.

6) Windshield fluid goes all over the windshield as well as roof and side windows. Can the intensity be changed? I did make sure the nozzles were not plugged up

Haven't had any issues.

Code:
7) Is there a trick to removing the back seat headrests? We push in the two buttons and try to pull but it will not budge. It will go down one and back up one

I recall in the manual seeing them shove something into it to get them removed (and not just pressing buttons). Look at the manual.

Code:
8) Nav data. It shows 2018/19 as the version. Is there a newer one and if so, how does one get it? (My house, which is 3 years old, does not show up on the nav.

I'm wondering this too, along with any firmware updates. The car has SD slots, so you'd think you can update it yourself, but when I reviewed, I couldn't find anything (that didn't seem to suggest, you'd have to get the dealer to do an update).

Back