rear hatch handle/backup camera

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
my daughter just backed into something and broke the emblem off of the rear backup camera/hatch handle.

is it possible just to get a new emblem/handle? if not, what part do i need to replace and how hard is it?

first quick inspection, i couldn't see how to open the rear hatch without the handle. is that possible?

any help would be appreciated.

thanks.

The whole rear emblem and hatch release assembly is sold together including the camera. It's $481. I just plugged in 2016 SE but they should all be the same for US models so far.

VW Parts - Gate Hardware

The actual release is electric and there is no other button to release it due to the way the handle works.

thanks.

after looking at it in detail, the emblem has broken off of the little bar that it rotates around.

i can wedge my thumb in to make the latch operate and then pull up on the bar. it would be nice if i could somehow just replace the emblem, but i guess that would not make vw enough money.

not at bad as when my dog tripped over my charging cable and it cost $1500 to replace all the wiring from there to the batteries because the plastic part you plug into got broken.

miimura said:
The actual release is electric and there is no other button to release it due to the way the handle works.

Emergency hatch release procedure:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pcoQxXIanfM

On the trim panel of our cars for North America, the opening isn't as large as it is in the video, consisting of just the horizontal (when hatch is closed) slot, and a much smaller vertical one in place of the large circular opening. The white plastic lever is visible through the horizontal opening and it looks like you can stick a thin screwdriver in there.

Back