San Jose to Los Angeles

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jimbo435

Anyone made this trip in an e-Golf? Did not look possible a few months ago, but some more SAE stations seem to have been added. Some are lower output like 24k, but I'm not really pushing the mileage all that much either.
I was thinking:
SJ to Salinas = 60 miles
Salinas to King City = 49 miles
King City to Paso Robles = 52 miles
Paso Robles to Pismo Beach = 40 miles
Pismo Beach to Santa Barbara = 82 miles
Santa Barbara to Thousand Oaks = 55 miles
Thousand Oaks to LA = 44 miles

It will easily take all day, but it's always been a dream to use my e-Golf to go on longer trips.
Allowing an hour to charge at each stop, driving 60 miles an hour I figure about 12.5 hours.

I guess it might be a fun adventure for someone, but it's faster to take a greyhound.

bizzle said:
I guess it might be a fun adventure for someone, but it's faster to take a greyhound.

Or rent a tesla from turo.com or getaround.com and charge only once or twice, assuming you can get a rental with enough miles on it, the leases often are the limiting factor there..

The farthest I have taken my eGolf was Walnut Creek to Santa Cruz, one stop at NRG EVGO in San Jose and then charging up on L2 in SC while out and about... same on the way back.

I went with a Model S 90 PL from Walnut Creek to Torrance on a 960 mile 4 day weekend, with autopilot most of the way and two stops for charging it was a breeze...

You will save time by doing most of your charging at Salinas, San Luis Obispo, and Buellton since those are 50kW chargers. Only charge enough in Paso Robles to make it over the hill to San Luis Obispo.

Back