scheduled maintenance question for egolf lease...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gat89

Hi I am due for my scheduled maintenance for my 2016 E-golf. I have several questions that I couldn't really find answer to doing a forum search:

1) is it possible to skip the maintenance and maybe save it for my 30,000K one? How does VW even know if I did my 10K + 20K one? Do I need to show records when I turn in the car?

2) if it is not possible to skip the maintenance, would it be cheaper to take it somewhere that isn't a VW dealer? is that even possible?

3) if it is possible to skip the dealership for the maintenance, does anyone have a good rec for one in the Bay Area? and when I mean good, I mean the cheapest =)

Thanks!

gat89 said:
Hi I am due for my scheduled maintenance for my 2016 E-golf. I have several questions that I couldn't really find answer to doing a forum search:

1) is it possible to skip the maintenance and maybe save it for my 30,000K one? How does VW even know if I did my 10K + 20K one? Do I need to show records when I turn in the car?

2) if it is not possible to skip the maintenance, would it be cheaper to take it somewhere that isn't a VW dealer? is that even possible?

3) if it is possible to skip the dealership for the maintenance, does anyone have a good rec for one in the Bay Area? and when I mean good, I mean the cheapest =)

Thanks!
1) What 10k? haha, my app says first one is 20k

2) Only a VW dealer has the equipment to program the Hi Voltage.

3) See #2

Someone here posted that they just did the High Voltage and not any of the other 'recommended at 20k' stuff and got it very cheap.

gat89 said:

Thanks!

They plug in to your OBII port, pull all the data off of the memory, and send it back to Germany, to be maintained in a file with your VIN#. They already have you in their files, with a Date In Service for the VIN of the car, the day you drove it off the lot.

I haven't brought mine in for the official 10k service, yet around the 11.5k mark or so my A/C stopped working. Didn't affect my warranty, if that's what you're wondering.

Thanks everyone for the responses. So basically I think the answers are:

1) I can't skip the maintenance if I am on a lease for a 2016 car (seems like 2015 was free)

2) seems like the 10K check up is fine to take to any service center but the 20K + 30K needs to be done at VW since they need to check the battery

3) no recs yet for a cheap place in the Bay Area for the 10K service

Thanks again!

johnnylingo said:
RonDawg said:
I haven't brought mine in for the official 10k service, yet around the 11.5k mark or so my A/C stopped working. Didn't affect my warranty, if that's what you're wondering.

I'd be careful with that. Read the fine print in your lease deal, and says you must maintain the car per manufacturer guidelines.

Maintenance question for leasing

The warranty as promised to me by VWoA, and the financial agreement I made with VW Credit, are two different things to two different legal entities.

At lease return inspection, as long as the car isn't running weird (if it was an ICEV), doesn't have any warning lights that aren't supposed to be on, and doesn't look beat, they're not going to care that you skipped a maintenance interval.

When it came time to turn in my Leaf, all the inspector cared about was that any included items (the EVSE in particular) were still in the car, that the tires had the minimum 4/32 depth (even though California legally allows you to drive on less than that) and were a "matching set", that there weren't any more scratches/dings/other signs of wear as allowed in their Use and Wear Guide, that there weren't any modifications that weren't easily reversible and/or left permanent damage, and what the odometer reading was.

BTW according to VWoA's actual maintenance schedule http://www.vwcorporatefleet.com/vw/documents/pdfs/MY15%20e-Golf%20-%20Maintenance%20Schedule.pdf this is all that's required at 10k miles:

1. Visual inspection of airbag
2. Inspect brakes for pad thickness, rotor scoring, and corrosion
3. Inspect wipers and washer fluid nozzles
4. Reset service interval display
5. Enter date of next inspection on a sticker on the door
6. Rotate tires

There's nothing here that can't be done by an independent mechanic, or even the car's owner. In fact, looking at the rest of the service points, I can't see anything that HAS to be done by a VW dealer, unlike the battery health inspection required of Nissan Leafs every year. The checks of the high voltage battery and associated cabling are all visual.

The tread depth thing was actually written into the lease fine print on the Lexus I turned in last year.

That's a really good point on the high voltage battery - I kind of glossed over the language the first time I looked at the maintenance schedule. I didn't realize it was all 'visual inspection' and assumed they'd hook up some sort of diagnostic unit. I suppose the car knows when there's something wrong and would let the operator know, so no need to connect to anything in the shop.

And Rondawg is right, all the other stuff is trivial - no need to bring it to the stealership to get ripped off. DIY or a small independent that you trust.

the first item isn't a visual is it?
That's the high voltage battery test and it says 20k is the first one.

And just because CA allows you to drive with less than 4/32's, doesn't mean they can sell the car in other states like that. So they require 4/32s.

I almost got nailed on the 'matching set' , I had 2 pairs of different types. But the guy didn't notice so I was safe.

forbin404 said:

The first item is for the 12 volt battery, "determine charge capacity with a diagnostic tester." You don't need anything fancy for that. The ones that actually say "High voltage" all appear to be visual inspections.

And just because CA allows you to drive with less than 4/32's, doesn't mean they can sell the car in other states like that. So they require 4/32s.

It's unlikely that a car with just 4/32 tread left on a tire is going to be sold that way unless it's going to one of those "Buy Here Pay Here" type of lots. Most used car dealers but especially CarMax and those associated with a new car dealership will replace well-worn (but still quite a way from legally "bald") tires anyway as part of the pre-sale refurbishment of the car.

I suspect that NMAC does stipulate this minimum tread depth because the OEM tires rarely last an entire 3 year lease unless you put very low miles on the car, often forcing the lessee to buy new tires before lease-end and thus making the car more valuable at auction. The OEM Ecopias on my Leaf were already down to 4/32 by the time it had 25k miles on it.

RonDawg said:
forbin404 said:

The first item is for the 12 volt battery, "determine charge capacity with a diagnostic tester." You don't need anything fancy for that. The ones that actually say "High voltage" all appear to be visual inspections.

It's unlikely that a car with just 4/32 tread left on a tire is going to be sold that way unless it's going to one of those "Buy Here Pay Here" type of lots. Most used car dealers but especially CarMax and those associated with a new car dealership will replace well-worn (but still quite a way from legally "bald") tires anyway as part of the pre-sale refurbishment of the car.

I suspect that NMAC does stipulate this minimum tread depth because the OEM tires rarely last an entire 3 year lease unless you put very low miles on the car, often forcing the lessee to buy new tires before lease-end and thus making the car more valuable at auction. The OEM Ecopias on my Leaf were already down to 4/32 by the time it had 25k miles on it.

Curious, what are your Ecopia PLUS tires at now, on the e-Golf an mileage? Do they wear any better or any worse than what was on your Leaf?

JoulesThief said:
Curious, what are your Ecopia PLUS tires at now, on the e-Golf an mileage? Do they wear any better or any worse than what was on your Leaf?

I'm only at 13,500 on the eGolf (Leaf would be over 18k at the same point in the lease) but the wear seems to be a bit better, particularly at the shoulders; OEM Ecopias for the Leaf are notorious for premature shoulder wear at the factory recommended pressure. 8/32 at the front, 7/32 at the rear. They were first rotated around 2,000 miles ago.

RonDawg said:
JoulesThief said:

I'm only at 13,500 on the eGolf (Leaf would be over 18k at the same point in the lease) but the wear seems to be a bit better, particularly at the shoulders; OEM Ecopias for the Leaf are notorious for premature shoulder wear at the factory recommended pressure. 8/32 at the front, 7/32 at the rear. They were first rotated around 2,000 miles ago.

I'm running 45 psi in the e-Golf, last i checked at about 9,000 miles, they were at 9/32, barely. I am at 11,400 now, will check again when I am closer to 20k miles, probably rotate the tires then. No shoulder or center wear to speak of on my set.

JoulesThief said:
RonDawg said:
JoulesThief said:

I'm running 45 psi in the e-Golf, last i checked at about 9,000 miles, they were at 9/32, barely. I am at 11,400 now, will check again when I am closer to 20k miles, probably rotate the tires then. No shoulder or center wear to speak of on my set.

Is your car equipped with Ecopias or the Conti's?

We have just over 16,500 miles on our factory Continental tires. They were just rotated and the rears have 4.5mm remaining and the fronts have 5.5mm remaining. We got the excess wear and tear policy, so we won't need to buy new ones before we return it in April 2018.

miimura said:
We have just over 16,500 miles on our factory Continental tires. They were just rotated and the rears have 4.5mm remaining and the fronts have 5.5mm remaining. We got the excess wear and tear policy, so we won't need to buy new ones before we return it in April 2018.
Umm, don't want to break it to ya but tires are not covered in Excess Wear and Tear

https://www.vw.com/content/dam/vwcom/PDFs/G52815_LEWP_Brochure.pdf

forbin404 said:
miimura said:
Umm, don't want to break it to ya but tires are not covered in Excess Wear and Tear

https://www.vw.com/content/dam/vwcom/PDFs/G52815_LEWP_Brochure.pdf
You had me questioning my recollection there for a minute. At the bottom right corner of that brochure, tires are specifically included in the coverage.
Volkswagen Credit Lease Excess Wear Protection
can help guard you against costs associated with:

- Dents
- Scratches & Chipped Paint
- Chipped Glass
- Interior Stains
- Tires
- Lenses for Headlights and Taillights
- Wheels & Wheel Covers
- Stone Bruises, Sand Damage & Pits

hmmm the link I went to doesn't say that
https://www.vw.com/content/dam/vwcom/PDFs/VWC2015-2187-VWC-AncillaryProBro-LeaseExcessWear-R.pdf

It says tire damage but not tire wear.

But this link specifically says tire wear is covered.
http://www.stokesvw.com/blog/what-is-covered-under-vw-lease-excess-wear-protection/

Dang I should've got it.

Back