Setup Manual Timer on 240v Level 2 10-30 Plug?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MattEni

Hi everyone.

New to EV and e-Golf. Picked up a 2015 SEL from Carvana (really awesome experience) but need help with level 2 charging.

I don't have the amps for a separate 40-50 amp service and don't want to spend all that.

I want to share my electric dryer plug with my Level 2 - 26 amp charger on order.

I looked and couldn't find a level 2, 20 something amp charger that offered a timer option (set start time).

I did find a splitter for the female receptacle so I can plug in the level 2 charger and the dryer.

So since we don't dry clothes in the middle of the night (and the electric rates go down) my ideal solution is one of the following for simplicity and costs.

1) Find a mechanical or digital 30 amp timer that uses a standard 10-30 plug in and out

2) Find a Level 2 20-30 amp plug in charger with a built in timer

I would like to avoid the VW CarNet app or the major expense of upgrading my service with a piggyback box, installation, more expensive Level 2 JuiceBox type charger, etc.

Any ideas?

Thanks all in advance

For those that are doing their own research - here is what I came up with.

I purchased the 40A JuiceBox Pro and a 10-30 adapter (didn't realize you can setup the Amps max).

Was more than the original charger but this will give me the features I am missing on the 2015 SEL without having to buy a separate timer ($100) and hard wire it since none have 10-30 old dryer plugs.

Also, I can set (presumably) 80% charge cut off and have it come on off in the middle of the night since it will share a plug with the dryer (purchased a Y connector so both plugged in the same time).

Someday I can upgrade that dryer plug to 40A or 50A and it will be ready for it.

The biggest thing is I can have the wife just plugin and let the mobile app/timer turn on at lowest cost time and when dryer not in use.

I'll post back how this all works out as I am sure there must be others with no extra amps for service or sharing a 10-30 with a dryer like us.

Back