SoCal Lease Offer | 2016 SE With Fast Charger

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fellow e-Golfers.

Thought I'd share the details on what I was recently offered. I'm OTF about leasing a 16' or waiting. What I'm waiting for I'm not entirely sure - increased range?

2016 e-Golf SE | White
7500 Miles per year
Fast Charger [7.2kW]
204 per month with 1K down
or
234 per month with zero down

Although some of you may scoff at 7500 miles per year, I work from home, have a motorcycle and drive far less than most of you. So, 7500 is not very restrictive for me.

Thoughts?

EDIT:

I just saw this post - http://www.myvwegolf.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=968. These lease numbers are really good. Mine suck.

uncleGarage said:
Fellow e-Golfers.

Thought I'd share the details on what I was recently offered. I'm OTF about leasing a 16' or waiting. What I'm waiting for I'm not entirely sure - increased range?

2016 e-Golf SE | White
7500 Miles per year
Fast Charger [7.2kW]
204 per month with 1K down
or

Although some of you may scoff at 7500 miles per year, I work from home, have a motorcycle and drive far less than most of you. So, 7500 is not very restrictive for me.

Thoughts?

EDIT:

I just saw this post - http://www.myvwegolf.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=968. These lease numbers are really good. Mine suck.
1, That post doesn't have Fast Charge
2, that Post doesn't have the CA rebate (If you are in CA)
3 that post is in MA, which has a different taxation.

EV Blogspot says a 2016 SE in CA for 36k/7.5k with DCFC should be $189 + TTL. Since TTL is $2k or $55 that should be $254
You got a decent deal.

I pay $199 for 10K miles without a quick charger. I didn't put anything down or anything out of pocket at all. If I had opted for 7K miles it would have been about $189.

You are paying right around the same amount but a year later. That could be considered a deal (I got this one at the height of the dieselgate scandal/deal period) but you might consider waiting for one with more mileage if you think it's not too far off for you.

uncleGarage said:

Average deal for California. An SE with fast charger should have a "sale price" of around $27,500 and then the lease numbers worked off of that, which works out to $200-250/month without taxes or state rebate factored in.

You can probably do a bit better if you don't mind a larger upfront cost. Capital VW's current special works out to $210/month if my math is correct. That's the same Hayward offered back in July.

Personally, I feel the deals will only get better in the coming months. The 2018 e-Golfs with 125 mile range should be here in spring 2017 and as we get close to that the 2016s will be obsolete, but still perfectly good commuter cars.

I just spoke with my local dealership. I told him I'm ready to sign if he gets me the 16' eGolf, FC, 7500m, with zero down at $185.00 for 36.

Whaddya think? Let's see how desperate they guys are. He mentioned that since I have an '06 Jetta TDi manual I am eligible for the loyalty program. Don't know what that buys me.

Assuming I manage to negotiate such a number, are there any holes in the following logic?

I buy an eGolf, and sell my current vehicle. With the car goes a monthly $50.00 in fuel. I will be paying an effective 185.00 - 50.00 = $135.00 per month. I'd have to then figure out my daily charging costs though. I read that it costs $30.00 per month to charge an eGolf. Granted, this number is rather arbitrary as Idk where in the US this taken from and all the related variables that go into this number.

I have a 6.8kW solar array. Can anyone point me to information on how to understand the costs of charging my eGolf, with an on-grid array? I'm in SoCal with SDGE.

Three years is a long commitment for an EV. Yikes!

uncleGarage said:
I have a 6.8kW solar array. Can anyone point me to information on how to understand the costs of charging my eGolf, with an on-grid array? I'm in SoCal with SDGE.
Start a separate thread for this and I'll be happy to help you figure it out.

uncleGarage said:
Whaddya think? Let's see how desperate they guys are. He mentioned that since I have an '06 Jetta TDi manual I am eligible for the loyalty program. Don't know what that buys me.

VW is doing a $1000 loyalty discount until January 3rd.

Zero down and $185.00 / month is pretty nice, even with the 36 month term. With the $1000 loyalty discount and state $2500 rebate you're really paying about half that. Worse case, you decide in 1-2 years to get something with more range, do a lease transfer and return a part of the rebate, in which case you basically break even.

Any detailed quotes? I haven't had much luck with any SoCal dealers giving me good pricing.. I got quotes of ~$300/month.. I'll get a different EV if I have no luck.. If someone bought recently, please post your details and dealer. It would be really helpful :) Or feel free to send a PM.

Thanks!

I got mine at Murrieta and I know someone else got their's there, as well. I can give you the name of the sales manager and my name since she said she'd give both me and anyone I refer to her $50, but I don't know how desperate they would be to sell an eGolf.

elove said:
Any detailed quotes? I haven't had much luck with any SoCal dealers giving me good pricing.. I got quotes of ~$300/month..

Here's some deals from Bay Area for an 30 month lease on a 2016 SE w/ fast charger

Capitol - $5,777 due to signing, $17/month (18.7k miles)
Hayward - $3000 down, $59/month (18.7k miles)
Stevens Creek - $3500 down, $39/month (25k miles)

These come to a $205-215/month average including tax, not including CA state rebate or special discounts (loyalty, college grad, etc)

Inventory numbers are also interesting for finding dealers that may be more motivated to make a deal.

Quantity of e-Golf cars shown at newcars dot com on 23 December 2016:

Northern California (within 250 miles of San Francisco) Total: 603
Dealers with more than 30 units:
Walnut Creek: 31
Oakland: 35
Serramonte: 35
Sunnyvale: 58
Hayward: 80
Capitol: 118
Stevens Creek: 123

Southern California (within 250 miles of 90210) Total: 206
Pacific VW: 40
Honorable Mention: Santa Monica: 28

Note: Santa Maria's 4 units were double counted due to the counting radius

Also informative, there are only 30 new e-Golf cars within 500 miles of Washington DC.

Interesting. And, ironic. Last year, the inventory in NorCal was so bad that people were making the trip south for their e-Golfs. Seems the opposite is true this year.

Silicon Valley is quite the hot spot for e-Golfs. Probably second only to Norway. I can't go anywhere without seeing several - usually 4-6 during the course of my 15-20 minute commute.

johnnylingo said:
Here's some deals from Bay Area for an 30 month lease on a 2016 SE w/ fast charger

Capitol - $5,777 due to signing, $17/month (18.7k miles)
Hayward - $3000 down, $59/month (18.7k miles)
Stevens Creek - $3500 down, $39/month (25k miles)

These come to a $205-215/month average including tax, not including CA state rebate or special discounts (loyalty, college grad, etc)

Thanks for those links! Here's what I get if I actually try to pursue the Hayward deal for example:
VW Hayward (7.5k, 30 mo): $5200 down ($3000 advertised + $2200 drive off) and $59+tax * 30 = $7130 which is effectively $238/month

The best I've gotten in SoCal so far is effectively $250/month for 7.5k, 30mo on the SE w/Quick Charge.

miimura said:
Inventory numbers are also interesting for finding dealers that may be more motivated to make a deal.

Southern California (within 250 miles of 90210) Total: 206
Pacific VW: 40
Honorable Mention: Santa Monica: 28

Note: Santa Maria's 4 units were double counted due to the counting radius

Thanks for sharing those numbers. I've now reached out to Pacific VW :)

I heard back from Mossy VW in El Cajon, CA. The final offer is a '16 eGolf, DCFC, 7500m for zero down and $223.25 per/mo. First month due on pick up.

BTW - for those of you in CA - that $2500 rebate has newer, more restrictive income thresholds. Don't assume you'll qualify.

uncleGarage said:
I heard back from Mossy VW in El Cajon, CA. The final offer is a '16 eGolf, DCFC, 7500m for zero down and $223.25 per/mo. First month due on pick up.

Does the $223.25 include tax?

uncleGarage said:
BTW - for those of you in CA - that $2500 rebate has newer, more restrictive income thresholds. Don't assume you'll qualify.

Those thresholds are still relatively high: $150k/204k/300k for single/head of household/married.

https://cleanvehiclerebate.org/eng/income-eligibility

elove said:
uncleGarage said:

Does the $223.25 include tax?

Yes. These figures are inclusive of all taxes. 223.25 is the final payment.

RonDawg said:
uncleGarage said:

Those thresholds are still relatively high: $150k/204k/300k for single/head of household/married.

https://cleanvehiclerebate.org/eng/income-eligibility

Thanks. Did you apply and receive this rebate? I'd like to know oh much I can rely on including the rebate into my calculations. I don't trust it unless it's in my hand.

Back