Steering locked. 2020 e-golf.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonTask

I have a 2020 e-golf and last night my wife called and said the steering wheel is locked. So I went there and tried to hold the brake pedal down and press the start button, it then said 'turn the wheel' but the wheel was still very stiff. I also tried attaching jumper cables and then trying it but no luck. Has anyone any ideas? I had to leave the car overnight and will go back to it when the sun comes up. Thanks in advance.

When you "start" the car and see the message "turn the wheel", does the "READY" light come on or not?

Any solutions for this? My 2019 is doing the same thing. No, the ready light does not come on. Feels like I need a tow truck, but would love a simple solution.

Any solutions for this? My 2019 is doing the same thing. No, the ready light does not come on. Feels like I need a tow truck, but would love a simple solution.
did you press brake pedal fully while you presses start button? Does infotainment work?

Yes, I pressed the brake pedal fully, and tried to start it a few times.We also let it sit for probably half an hour between tries. The infotainment system does not work. We also tried turning the steering wheel fully each direction, and changing the steering wheel position. My wife also got stranded, and I thought I’d be able to limp the car home, but no luck. I’ll be calling a tow truck this morning. I’m not seeing the pictures I attached (I’m on my phone), but besides the “please turn steering wherl” message, we also have the red steering wheel with “steering lock faulty. STOP!”. It’s very reminiscent of the STOP message when the battery cells had to be replaced. Crossing my fingers this fix doesn’t take two months to fix and cost a fortune. At 77,000 miles, I think the only thing left under warranty is the battery.

Just in case anyone else runs into this, it was the “electronic steering column lock control module” and the grand total was $1,077.45.

There’s a note on the bill that initially they couldn’t even get the car
to scan. The notes say they turned on the high beams and the hazard lights while holding the brake pedal down to get the car to talk to the scanner.

Hope that helps someone else.

2019 SE with 77,800 miles

Thanks for the sympathy. I wasn’t very happy with the cost or the week without a car. They said the part came out of Canada. I guess it could have been even longer.

2019 SE with 77,800 miles

Thanks for the sympathy. I wasn’t very happy with the cost or the week without a car. They said the part came out of Canada. I guess it could have been even longer.
I suspect the part is not unique to e-Golf, but still seems pricey. I have 67,000 miles on my 2017 and so far no problems. I expect to hit your mileage by the end of this year and we’ll see how car holds up.

Back