Tech question about the necessity of an evse.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

acdcvw

Howdy. I'll be up front and just say I don't know how much of this technology works and my question will do nothing to hide that fact especially if the answer if obvious to anyone who does understand it. Anyway; It's my understanding that the vehicle has a converter and charger built in which makes me ask, what does the EVSE do? If the car can convert the a/c to d/c and has the charger then what purpose does that box in the middle(evse) fulfill?

Thanks.

Safety.

It's a smart relay. It tells the car the maximum it can draw for the circuit it's plugged into, it doesn't apply power until the car is ready for it. It kills power if you start unplugging it so electricity doesn't arc across the terminals. It has ground-fault protection, both for "residual current" and disconnected ground. It trips if the car starts drawing too much current.

Some are even "smarter" and let you set timers, look at usage data, etc.

Unbeliever said:
Safety.

It's a smart relay. It tells the car the maximum it can draw for the circuit it's plugged into, it doesn't apply power until the car is ready for it. It kills power if you start unplugging it so electricity doesn't arc across the terminals. It has ground-fault protection, both for "residual current" and disconnected ground. It trips if the car starts drawing too much current.

Some are even "smarter" and let you set timers, look at usage data, etc.

Thanks for the answer. From what I've read and might soon find out with the arrival of my JuiceBox 40Pro, the eGolf doesn't seem to work with evse charge timers. One of the EVSE companies even responded to say that VW needs to put out a firmware update to fix it.

My Juice Box Green works fine using the e-Golf's delayed charging. [But that does not take advantage of the JB's picking the greenest charging time].

What units come to mind as being the smartest, telling you charging amp rate, summarizing total KWH per charge, per week, for the month, etc?

The only EVSEs that I know of that have internal data collection and reporting are the JuiceBox Pro, ChargePoint Home, and the newly announced Clipper Creek HCS-40 JuiceNet Edition, to be available at the end of October 2015.

miimura said:
The only EVSEs that I know of that have internal data collection and reporting are the JuiceBox Pro, ChargePoint Home, and the newly announced Clipper Creek HCS-40 JuiceNet Edition, to be available at the end of October 2015.

Interesting, e autowerks Juicebox does not have a means to enter your credit card number currently on their website, for online purchases.

Ordered my JuiceBox 40 Pro through Amazon, same price, came in 2 days!! I wired in my 14-50 and hooked it up for the first time today, works great. Did not know about the comment that e-golf will not work with the JB start timer, I check that out.

jobybett said:
Ordered my JuiceBox 40 Pro through Amazon, same price, came in 2 days!! I wired in my 14-50 and hooked it up for the first time today, works great. Did not know about the comment that e-golf will not work with the JB start timer, I check that out.

What did you have to go through, process wise, to get a permit to install your NEMA 14-50 down there in Mission Viejo, OC, CA?

Back