Temperature related changes in consumption

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stefstef

Hi everyone, my first post here

This summer I purchased a used e-Golf for daily commutes of around 90km a day. During the first few months my average consumption was around 14.6kWh/100km in highway driving, which I found acceptable. As I'm living in Iceland the average temperatures are low, around 13°C during the day. Now as winter approaches the temperatures are dropping and with that I had expected the range to drop somewhat due to battery limitations. However I'm experiencing increased consumption which I hadn't expected, and on my commute this morning with temperatures in the 3-4°C range I averaged 19kWh/100km driving the same profile I usually do (with the aircon set at comforable 19°C).

Is anyone here willing to share his/her experiences in this regard to help me understand whether what I'm experiencing can be considered normal or an indication of a fault of some sort?

Stefán

Does your eGolf have the heat pump heater or not? In the US, only the top-trim SEL model has it; the cheaper trim levels (LE for 2015, SE for 2016 and later) use a resistive-style heater which uses more electricity.

In subzero (F) temps, it was not unusual for early Nissan Leafs (2011/2012 models) to see as little as 30 miles range from a 24 kWH battery, same size as that on the eGolf. On those models the heater automatically came on at 60 degrees F and there was no way from the factory to turn it off without turning off the entire HVAC. 2013 and later models added a heater on/off switch, and there is a DIY modification for the earlier cars that uses the present A/C on/off switch.

All e-Golfs sold here come with the heat pump, so that should not be the issue. However, I've noticed how closely related the consumption is to the A/C setting. Overall expected range only decreases by some 14KMs on the setting I use.

Be sure to use climate pre-conditioning while still plugged in so you don't use your battery to initially heat the cabin from the overnight low temperature. Also, be sure to compare the actual consumption after each drive instead of the range forecast.

I've set departure timers for the aircon which trigger on the condition of the car being plugged in at the time (which is usually is). My consumption numbers are based on those from the car itself, not the guess-o-meter.

I had been expecting decreased range due to the battery's capacity diminishing with lower temperatures. What had surprised me is the increased consumption. I take it from the replies I've received so far that this is something people generally don't see in their vehicles. Very interesting...

Cold temperatures affect range on EV's for a number of reasons:

1. Battery won't hold as much energy (you're already aware of that)
2. Colder air is denser, and thus is harder to push through
3. Increased heater usage
4. Colder temperatures generally mean winter, which often means having to drive thorough snow/slush/standing water. which also increases consumption.

As I live in Southern California, I don't experience the barely above freezing temperatures that you are currently experiencing, except on rare occasions. So, I cannot comment if the amount of your decreased economy is normal or not. But you will have decreased economy in cold weather vs. warm weather.

Hey Californians!

Thanks for the replies, they've all been of good value. I would also like to hear from people's experiences living in colder climates. If there's anyone around here??? :)

stefstef said:
Hey Californians!

Thanks for the replies, they've all been of good value. I would also like to hear from people's experiences living in colder climates. If there's anyone around here??? :)

I live in Western New York. I had a Leaf with a resistance heater for a few years, and when temperatures dropped below freezing my range took a considerable hit, especially when I used the heat. One day that was below zero F, with the heat set at least to 70 F, I recall estimating 40 miles tops based on my usage. One day was very cold (I saw -15 on my morning commute), and I barely made 50 miles without using any heat. I had a LeafDD (that plugs in to tell info about the battery), and the battery temperature got down to 10 F after sitting outside all day. The efficiency was not good at all when it got that cold, even though the ambient temperature was up a little compared to the morning commute. Battery temperature is key. Warming the battery by completing a full charge immediately before departing made a big difference. If I had a half charged battery before charging I never got as much warmth from the charge (and charge in the battery). I would be curious what level 3 would do in real cold weather.

With my eGolf I've seen better economy, especially with the heat pump, but as you drop below freezing the efficiency of the heat pump goes down. Still, last winter at -2 F I drove 25 miles on 1/2 charge with the heat set to 72 F the whole commute. Of course, distance of each leg makes a difference; my the efficiency is always horrible early in the drive when everything is cold and improves when it warms.

It's just started to get cold here in Boston and I've seen a considerable drop in range both with + without using the heat.

I average about 5mi/kwh in summer on my commute to work and am now averaging about 4mi/kwh. Same route, same speed (usually around 30mph/average).

Turning heat on and off doesn't affect it too much. I got the car last winter so I've already dealt with this, but after having the car for a summer, I really notice the difference. When I drove it in snow, snow covered roads, etc., last year I was doing around 3.5mi/kwh or less.

Hope this helps. Best of luck in Iceland!

Thanks guys. It will be interesting to see how this pans out during the winter. I haven't used the charge timer so far, as we've got flat rates, but I might just do some testing in regards to having the battery warmer in the mornings. As I'm charging outside this might even make a bigger difference.

Back