Thank you

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello e-Golfers!

I recently purchased a 2019 e-Golf this past June. I'm now over 1000 miles into this journey. I just wanted to take a moment to say, Thanks, to all the folks here in this forum. I've learned a lot, and have definitely had some of my n00b questions answered by lurking on the forum. This is my first EV, so I've had a lot to learn. :) This post is about sharing my experience to give back to other new e-Golfer's who are getting started.

I live in NorCal in the Bay Area. I have an 8 mile commute (16-20 mile round-trip), which takes about 25 minutes with traffic. Analyzing my commute I realized that the e-Golf would be a great fit, since most of my driving is commuting. Before buying this car I was looking at the Hyundai Ioniq EV, the Hyundai Kona EV, and the Kia e-Niro. The Hyundai and Kia's were all in high demand, with limited supply and no car dealers willing to budge on price. Meanwhile, VW dealers around here were giving great deals on the e-Golf this summer. And to be honest, I really liked the interior of the e-Golf and its overall practicality. As for charging, I'm able to charge either at work for free, or at home since my apartment building has charging stations in the parking garage.

My results so far:

I'm averaging about 5 miles/kWh during my commute. I've reached 6 mi/kWh once on my commute which is my best efficiency, so far. I've taken one longer trip on the freeway and got around 4.5 mi/kWh. It's summer time, so the weather is conducive to efficient driving and good battery performance. I've been driving in Normal mode, and I use B-mode single-pedal driving for most of my commute since I'm on surface roads and stop-and-go "expressways". With my short commute, and the high efficiency of the e-Golf, I've been averaging one charge session per week. I've configured the car to charge to 80% using the destination timer trick described elsewhere in the forum.

I know that people feel differently about driving in B-mode, but I've come to enjoy single-pedal driving on my commute. I go back to D-mode when I go on the freeway. Fwiw, I like shifting between the two. It makes me feel like I'm driving a manual sometimes. ;)

I hope some folks find this useful. And Thank You again to all the folks who've contributed their knowledge to the forum, so far. 🙇‍♂️

Back