The Trip Odometer

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JJEV

Yes I have read the manual and tried every imaginable combination. But can't get the the trip odometer to display or reset. (0.0) button center of dash. Short Press, Medium Press, nothing. Log press will allow me to adjust the clock. What am I missing?
Thanks.

JJEV said:
Yes I have read the manual and tried every imaginable combination. But can't get the the trip odometer to display or reset. (0.0) button center of dash. Short Press, Medium Press, nothing. Log press will allow me to adjust the clock. What am I missing?
I agree there is a nagging disconnect between the documentation and the actual behavior.

On my 2016 SE, I find the 0.0 does nothing with the odometer -- perhaps it's an artifact from other Golf versions. Instead, the "Since start" or "Extend. period" odometers can be viewed or reset through the "Driving data" menu. In my printed manual, that's page 26.

I haven't yet found a distance counter that shows tenths of miles. What's with that, I wonder?

DepletedZPM said:
JJEV said:
I agree there is a nagging disconnect between the documentation and the actual behavior.

On my 2016 SE, I find the 0.0 does nothing with the odometer -- perhaps it's an artifact from other Golf versions. Instead, the "Since start" or "Extend. period" odometers can be viewed or reset through the "Driving data" menu. In my printed manual, that's page 26.

I haven't yet found a distance counter that shows tenths of miles. What's with that, I wonder?

Press "Car" function on your infotainment center. Scroll through "Since Start>Since Last Charged>Long Term". Your trip odometer is all there.... upper left reading, in miles.

If you want the trip odometer to show in the lower right corner of the multifunction display (the screen between the speedo and the regen/power gauge), hold the 0.0 button down until the screen says "Switch between electric and trip?", then immediately release.

RonDawg said:
If you want the trip odometer to show in the lower right corner of the multifunction display (the screen between the speedo and the regen/power gauge), hold the 0.0 button down until the screen says "Switch between electric and trip?", then immediately release.
...and confirm you want to change to trip.

We've been over this before. It's crazy non-intuitive. You have to hold the button a REALLY long time and wait for it to go through other items before you get to the Trip selection.

How to Access the Tripometer

miimura said:
We've been over this before.

We have. But as you admit, it's non-intuitive, and despite JoulesThief's constant preaching about reading the manual, it's not there. Perhaps this should be a sticky under "Things you can do but can't find in the owners manual."

miimura said:
We've been over this before. It's crazy non-intuitive. You have to hold the button a REALLY long time and wait for it to go through other items before you get to the Trip selection.

How to Access the Tripometer
Thanks, that's a good reference. I got it to work in my 2016. A key point seems to be that the ignition has to be on. (Most of my exploration so far has been done sitting in the garage with the car powered on, but the ignition turned off.)

Aside: Does it bother anyone else to use the word "ignition" when discussing an EV?

It doesn't bother me, it just makes me wonder what you're talking about when it's used. But that has more to do with the keyless system than the fact it's an EV. I don't know if you mean it's turned on but you didn't put your foot on the brake so it's powered but not ready, but that's how I interpret what you meant by ignition off with the power on.

"Energizer button" is probably more appropriate for both ICEVs and electric vehicles, but then (in the US anyway) people will simply be reminded of a certain toy bunny that just keeps going and going and going...

RonDawg said:
Perhaps this should be a sticky under "Things you can do but can't find in the owners manual."

^^^^^^ This right here. A forum or at least a well maintained thread that lists the "things that aren't intuitive to people even if you've read the manual". Are there active admins or moderators on this forum who can do this?

Back