Thoughts? Expires Wednesday night

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kamkaz

Bay Area VW dealership. Here are the details:

Grey SEL.
$5000 out the door. I'll most likely get the $2500 rebate back.
$175/mo
10,000 mile / year

I can add $9 month for the automatous front breaking + parking feature

Thoughts?

And then I want to do this:
sema-2015-vwvortex-369.jpg

My take, if you lease the car, you rent it. You don't OWN it, you don't make modifications to it, you just drive it, as is. If you BUY the car and own it, outright, have at it, modify as you see fit, but don't complain if it voids your warranty.

There's a big battery pack on the belly of that car. Lowering it increases the risk of punctures and damage to the batteries. Puncture the batteries, and it's on your dime to replace it, about $12000 to $17000. Not covered by warranty, you lowered the car.

At first I thought you meant $5000 total lease price. The conventional wisdom is that you shouldn't put money down on a leased vehicle - if you total the car, that money is gone. I just got my SE for $203/month, with zero out of pocket.

Dokterrock said:
At first I thought you meant $5000 total lease price. The conventional wisdom is that you shouldn't put money down on a leased vehicle - if you total the car, that money is gone. I just got my SE for $203/month, with zero out of pocket.

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

On a SEL? Where and with who, I want the same deal!

JoulesThief said:
My take, if you lease the car, you rent it. You don't OWN it, you don't make modifications to it, you just drive it, as is. If you BUY the car and own it, outright, have at it, modify as you see fit, but don't complain if it voids your warranty.

There's a big battery pack on the belly of that car. Lowering it increases the risk of punctures and damage to the batteries. Puncture the batteries, and it's on your dime to replace it, about $12000 to $17000. Not covered by warranty, you lowered the car.

I was just having fun. The car looks great but I would rather save my $$$ (hence the e-golf)

kamkaz said:
Dokterrock said:

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

On a SEL? Where and with who, I want the same deal!

SE, not SEL. But I just posted elsewhere about this $19/month, $999 down deal at Serramonte VW: http://www.serramontevw.com/serramonte-specials.htm. And an SE with quick charge package for $39/$2k down. Seems crazy.

kamkaz said:

Not for quite some time, as the program is currently out of cash and is waiting for a fresh cash infusion from the Legislature.

The downside of the high down payment was already discussed. Have the dealership recalculate with a lower down payment.

sema-2015-vwvortex-369.jpg

WHY??? Those sticky tires are going to shorten the range of the car. Plus you'll hear strong opinions from another member here about the downfalls of modifying your VW :lol:

RonDawg said:
kamkaz said:

Not for quite some time, as the program is currently out of cash and is waiting for a fresh cash infusion from the Legislature.

The downside of the high down payment was already discussed. Have the dealership recalculate with a lower down payment.

WHY??? Those sticky tires are going to shorten the range of the car. Plus you'll hear strong opinions from another member here about the downfalls of modifying your VW :lol:

Yes, strong opinions about sticky tires and range on leased cars, however, are OK. ;-) Not taxing on the battery at all, or it's longevity or warranty.

There are folks that have owned VW's a very long time, and know how integrated all the designs are on the car, how closely they are designed to all function properly together.

Then there are those that don't have a clue about the whole integrated concept and how they are all designed to function together and that changing things around destroys the balance, as a whole, creating problems down the line.

Since I own my 2015 SEL... I've only made 2 modifications.... I run the tire pressure on the Ecopia Plus 422's at 45 psi. And I've added another driver. She struggles on the freeway to get 4 miles per kwh by driving fast, then whines about the lower range between recharges. There's no need to drive 75 to 80 mph when you are on the freeway and only driving 11 miles down the freeway, no time is saved, it's all lost at stop lights on surface streets. Some people are slow learners. Me?, I get on the freeway, stay to the far right if the lanes not too beat up from all the truck traffic, and relax at the pace I am driving. If 80-90% of the drivers are passing me, and I am passing the other 10 to 20%, I'm way comfortable, and the car is too with the range I will get between recharges. I have another 103 ro 104 mile round trip to make again on a single charge today. Pretty sure I can get close to if not better than 6 miles per kwh. Crack the 2 side windows up front, AC off, fan off, radio on. No peripherals running, wasting down the charge in the battery. See the movie Apollo 13 with Tom Hanks if you don't understand.

https://youtu.be/Ju-OBU7uTyc

i hope the OP gets a great deal on an SEL. His timing is great to do so. Find a dealership today that needs one or two more cars sold to make numbers for month end, and get that deal done.

Won't those kind of mods void the warranty on several items?

I can see VW saying something like 'oh the guy who changed your shocks broke the linkage to the infotrainment unit so both are void'

kamkaz said:
$5000 out the door. I'll most likely get the $2500 rebate back. $175/mo
You didn't say lease duration but I'm assuming 36 month? I would assume the down payment is $2500 and taxes and fees would be about the same.

That's roughly on par with Hayward's deal last month ($2500 down + $160/month) which IMO was the best I have seen and the best we'll see for the rest of the year. Hayward was 24 month which is good or bad depending how you look at it. Sunnyvale's offer was $4600 down (probably $7k drive-off) + $159/month so they're beating that by a hefty amount.

Agreed with the others you should try and shoot for lowest possible down payment, especially with interest rates as they are right now.

Also agree w/ RonDawg you'll have to wait a while for the rebate, if it ever comes at all. Personally I'm pessimistic about it, which is one of the reasons I went with a 24 month.

Regarding lowering, seriously...don't do it especially on a lease. Never mind the potential warranty problems, you'll be scraping even on moderate speed bumps.

johnnylingo said:
kamkaz said:
$5000 out the door. I'll most likely get the $2500 rebate back. $175/mo
You didn't say lease duration but I'm assuming 36 month? I would assume the down payment is $2500 and taxes and fees would be about the same.

That's roughly on par with Hayward's deal last month ($2500 down + $160/month) which IMO was the best I have seen and the best we'll see for the rest of the year. Hayward was 24 month which is good or bad depending how you look at it. Sunnyvale's offer was $4600 down (probably $7k drive-off) + $159/month so they're beating that by a hefty amount.

Agreed with the others you should try and shoot for lowest possible down payment, especially with interest rates as they are right now.

Also agree w/ RonDawg you'll have to wait a while for the rebate, if it ever comes at all. Personally I'm pessimistic about it, which is one of the reasons I went with a 24 month.

Regarding lowering, seriously...don't do it especially on a lease. Never mind the potential warranty problems, you'll be scraping even on moderate speed bumps.

IMHO, you need every spare inch of clearance you can get. I wouldn't mind it in the least if mine was 1.5 inches to 2 inches more clearance underneath. Never know when you might get locked in at a BMW dealership in the evening, out for dinner, and you come back, and the gates are locked, with your vehicle inside the gates, at 8 pm at night, and some curb hopping over the lawn and over the wheel chair access on the sidewalk might be necessary so you don't spend the night. I know someone this happened to, while they were out getting dinner and the car was charging. ;-)

First time you posted something that made me laugh and here I was thinking you were a lost cause :\

According the local talk radio the Cap And Trade Money (Which paid for this) was only about 8 million and Sacramento is funnelling all they can to pay for the High Speed Rail ($64 billion), so while I would apply for a rebate (Not that I can but anyhows) you have a 1% chance of it paying off.

forbin404 said:
According the local talk radio the Cap And Trade Money (Which paid for this) was only about 8 million and Sacramento is funnelling all they can to pay for the High Speed Rail ($64 billion), so while I would apply for a rebate (Not that I can but anyhows) you have a 1% chance of it paying off.

Oh, that High Speed Fail, that not enough people are going to ride on. Never mind that California, with Hollywood, is the car culture capital of the world. What I hope I live to see is levitation, and a Jetsonmobile.

Final deal from them:

Grey SEL with the Driver assist package.
10K miles/year
30 month
$3500 out the door
$200 mo/taxes in

What do you think?

kamkaz said:
Final deal from them:

Grey SEL with the Driver assist package.
10K miles/year
30 month
$3500 out the door
$200 mo/taxes in

What do you think?

We aren't signing the paper work or paying the bills, the question is what do you think, not us. Bizzle or Imura are the lease guru's.

200 mo x 30 months is $6000, plus 3500, or $9500, and this is a lease on the top of the line SEL. What is the residual buyout value at the end of the lease, plus the return fee?

Glad I just went and bought my e-Golf. Seems so much more expensive, or was it less expensive, and less confusing. Got my $7500 tax credit, and my $2500 state rebate. I think after taxes and everything, with what I negotiated off of the MSRP, about $11,000, I owned the car, with taxes tags and processing fees for $17985 or something very, very close to that, what with VW Owner Loyalty of $2000 off. And it was exactly the car I wanted. Timing is everything when doing these kind of deals. There are still a few brand new 2015's sitting on dealerships lots.

JoulesThief said:
We aren't signing the paper work or paying the bills, the question is what do you think, not us. Bizzle or Imura are the lease guru's.

Surely it's okay for someone to ask for confirmation that they're not getting ripped off? Dealers pull all sorts of crazy shit and it can be really overwhelming if you don't know what to look for.

Dokterrock said:
JoulesThief said:

Surely it's okay for someone to ask for confirmation that they're not getting ripped off? Dealers pull all sorts of crazy shit and it can be really overwhelming if you don't know what to look for.

If you don't understand what a charge or a line item is for, ask them to explain it or tell them you won't accept it. I don't finance cars, and I don't trade in my old car, hence I never give them the opportunity to rip me off. You need to be smarter than the dealership, they are used car dealers too, if you let them sell your old car. Asking someone else is like asking someone else to do your homework for you... you don't learn.

I didn't realize that this forum was for autodidacts only. I guess it's time to delete the whole thing, then, given how useless it is to ask experienced people if they can shed any light on anything at all. No point in asking any questions to anybody if the only way to learn is by doing everything yourself with no outside help. Why do you even bother commenting on these threads, I wonder?

Back