Upgrading battery down the road???

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GUILLAUME

Hi

I just had an interesting thought today but I don't have much experience with batteries installation.

I'm fairly confident that 1/ efficiency of batteries will increase over the years 2/ as we learn more about batteries we will be able to optimize its production and so reduce its price tag.

Now that being said, if/when my battery in my e-golf needs to be change would it be possible to upgrade to a bigger capacity battery and so increase the range of the e-golf?

First thing first, does the battery needs to have the exact same dimensions?

Second I'm assuming that few other electrical components would need to be upgraded to handle the higher amperage supplied by the battery to the drive train.

Can anyone enlighten me on the plausibility of this idea?

Thanks

There is an existing thread on this, but the short story is that the battery pack in an EV is a complex system that is integrated with the rest of the systems in the car. It is certainly possible for someone to put some future higher capacity cells of the same size in the same battery pack, but they would have to figure out how the car determines the available capacity and re-calibrate it. It is extremely unlikely for anyone but the manufacturer to do it and it is extremely unlikely for VW to do it. So, basically, don't expect it to ever happen.

Back