Volkswagen says next gen e-Golf range should be 300km+

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

klaus

In an article on Motoring.com.au, Volkswagen Auto Group's head of powertrain development Dr Heinz-Jakob Neusser recently said that plug-in hybrid technology is merely a stop-gap until battery technology is able to increase range significantly.

"At one end there is plug-in hybrid technology and at the other is fuel cells, because both enlarge your operating range of the car when you have no recharging system available. When you have a recharging system it's the easiest way to plug in the car, to recharge the battery and to drive electric."

"We have to look to the e-Golf, which had an operating range of around 190km," said Dr Nuessen. "I expect the next generation in 2015-17 will increase to around 300km and the following step will be around 500-600km."

Full article here titled "Volkswagen expect 500km battery range by 2020":
http://www.motoring.com.au/news/2014/volkswagen/volkswagen-expects-500km-battery-range-by-2020-46561

Darryll, I'm writing about recent comments by VW on battery technology
http://insideevs.com/volkswagen-powertrain-boss-370-miles-electric-range-possible-bevs-2020/#comment-576226

"We have to look to the e-Golf, which had an operating range of around 190km. I expect the next generation in 2015-17 will increase to around 300km and the following step will be around 500-600km"

I took a test drive yesterday and am close to buying the e-Golf. If he's saying better batteries in 2015-2017, he's telling me my new e-Golf will be obsolete in a couple of years. I'd feel more comfortable him saying it would be more like 2018, or they will be more expensive, or they will weigh more, or that a new battery upgrade can be easily installed in my e-Golf.

Otherwise, he's expecting me to lay out 40K for a soon to be obsolete car. I realize like computers, technology is always improving but the amounts involved aren't 40K and improvements aren't 1 year out and resale values aren't a consideration. I feel any mention of 2015 or even 2016 for a new generation battery is overly optimistic and a huge mistake as it will make buyers rethink and delay their purchase.

Ron

Hi Ron,
Thanks for your note. I think it's important to put this comment into context. Dr Neusser was speaking at an event about Electrochemistry and was referring specifically to the technology and when the ability to achieve such range may be possible. This isn't to say that said technology will be "production ready" within the years referenced, just that the battery technology may be possible by 2017.

Once such battery efficiency is available there will be additional years before it will make it to production.

The other thing to note, as you know, other innovations also play into the ability to achieve range (ie vehicle weight, electric motor design and location, platform, etc).

I hope this helps. Have a wonderful Sunday.

Darryll

Darryll Harrison, Jr.

Brand Public Relations - West
Volkswagen of America, Inc.

[email protected]

Back