VW e-Golf and Mercedes Benz "B" Class electric.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I took a couple of test drives in the $50,000 MB "B" class BEV all electric SUV and compared it to my 2015 SEL. Yes it had leather seats. Yes it has a 33 or 34 Kw Tesla Battery, and a Tesla motor. It also has a 10 kwh Tesla charger on board, perfect for pulling about 42 amps at 240V charging with a Juice Box 40 at home.

What it is missing is a DC CCS plug to get it 80% charged in 20 minutes or 90% charged in 30 minutes. To me, on a $50,000 electric car, that is a deal breaker. It doesn't even have LED headlights, instead, old technology 30w HID's per headlight.

The driving of the MBZ, is a lot like the VW, it's an unassuming e-Car. Understated, doesn't say "LOOK AT ME". But I find the price tag overwhelming, for an 88 mile range electric car.

I admit I am missing something, the Panache a MB is supposed to portray, but this car, interior wise, material wise, is very, very little different in base trim, than a fully loaded SEL, at a much more robust price tag, with less really nice bells and whistles. It's lost on me how MBZ tries to get so much for so little vehicle. VW, keep making those e-Golfs, get that almost 36 kw battery in production already, can't wait to see a 2018 SEL model with the new goodies in it.

The lack of DCFC is not unique to the MB-e: the 2012-2014 Toyota RAV4 EV, also Tesla powered, was the same. It could be a stipulation on the part of Tesla in exchange for supplying the components. A company called Quick Charge Power does offer the "JdeMO" DCFC upgrade for the RAV4 EV for the (not) low-low price of $3,000 plus installation; I don't know if they offer it for the MB-e yet.

I do agree with you that the value for money factor is quite disappointing given the base price of the car. $720 just for metallic paint (with one color a whopping $2500 option)? I have to pay $580 just to get heated seats, a standard feature (front and rear) on a base model Nissan Leaf? A $5500 package is required to get a backup camera, also standard on a base Leaf?

Yes, the option packaging and the implementation of the Range button over time is strange on the B-Class.

I have the JdeMO on my RAV4 EV. Having the quick charge ability on a car with 40kWh of battery is a game changer. Quick Charge Power is currently working on integrating the JdeMO on the Tesla Roadster. They have said that they will do the B-Class next. When M-B changes over to their own electric drive system, they will certainly have CCS/SAE quick charging.

Back