Which 240 EV charger should I buy ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
JoulesThief said:
YeGolf said:
JoulesThief said:
I have a new Clipper Creek HCS-40P in the box, for sale, in the Los Angeles area. $500 firm. Private message me if interested.
it's a good price but this one is too big to keep it in car.

You would keep it in your garage... if you want 30 amps and 7.2 kwh capability from any Nema 14-50 outlet. When you are on the road, the less time you spend tethered to a power outlet, the better. If you are really low, you are looking at a 4.5 to 4.75 hour recharge on a 2017 e-Golf with the 35.8 kwh battery at the full 240 V and 30 amps. Add in 20% more time if you are plugged in to a commercial EVSE that puts out 200 to 208V at 30 amps.

I've taken my JuiceBox 40 Pro on quite a few trips, where a 14-50 outlet was available but a EVSE was not. 3 hours tops if I am really low, in my 24.2 kWh 2015 SEL.
I live in apartment. So far my own garage only in my dreams. I need something small to charge car at work. On parking lot, another company has chargers (unfortunately only for employee). But at the bottom some of them have 240 or 120(this one I use for now) outlets.

JoulesThief said:
I have a new Clipper Creek HCS-40P in the box, for sale, in the Los Angeles area. $500 firm. Private message me if interested.
Personally, if I lived in an apartment complex, I would not buy an electric car yet. Not until the charging infrastructure is put in place. I'd still run gas or diesel. The refueling process is too time consuming on an electric car unless you own your own property and own EVSE to get the car recharged properly, on your terms, not on someone else's or a landlords terms.

Sorry, that's just me. The first month of getting electrons for my new 2015 SEL e-Golf until I could pull a permit and get a contractor in to do the install was pure hell in my new to me e-Golf. I wouldn't recommend an electric car to anyone until you have the means to not rely on anyone else but yourself to get a recharge whenever you need one. That entails having dedicated garage space and at least 1 stall you and only you have access to, for each electric car you own.

JoulesThief said:
Sorry, that's just me. The first month of getting electrons for my new 2015 SEL e-Golf until I could pull a permit and get a contractor in to do the install was pure hell in my new to me e-Golf. I wouldn't recommend an electric car to anyone until you have the means to not rely on anyone else but yourself to get a recharge whenever you need one. That entails having dedicated garage space and at least 1 stall you and only you have access to, for each electric car you own.
That what I was thinking too, 1 year ago. But it's also depends on the infrastructure where you live. I have many chargers in 1,7 miles from my apartment (some of them are free). In my case garage is not that important for charging but I'd like to have it for other things.

Back