Which Level 2 Charger Works Best with 2019 SE?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

koifish

Any recommendations on Level 2 chargers that work best with a 2019 model year? My current L2 (Juicebox 40 from 2016) doesn't seem to fit well. Been shoving it in there pretty hard but no click/lock and no charge light. I have used the charge successfully for 3 years when I had my leaf. Does the Golf not like older style handles? The newer Juicebox L2's look like they have a sleeker handle.

What brand/style is everyone having success with?

My current L2 handle isn't an extension but looks like this:
plug-3.jpg

Do the newer style ones work better for eGolf?:
cable-2.jpg

I have an older clipper creek EVSE and at times the plug is a bit finicky to slide into the car inlet- I have found that there is a bit of play in the angle and when I get the angle of the plug to match the slightly upturned angle of the inlet, then the plug slides in smoothly with no resistance. I have had no issues with the old fashioned Yazaki plug or the new Chargepoint black L2 plugs.

The current JuiceBox 40 with the sleeker handle is not any better. Takes a good amount of force at the correct angle to get it to click. I noticed you are new to the forum - is your car brand new? I had the same issue when my car was new. I've found it gets better over time. Whether that is because I am more practiced or the receptacle is loosening up a bit, I cannot tell.

I have a newer Clipper Creek Level 2 EVSE, and the handle fits my 2018 e-Golf perfectly. Never had an issue.

sactogolf said:
The current JuiceBox 40 with the sleeker handle is not any better. Takes a good amount of force at the correct angle to get it to click. I noticed you are new to the forum - is your car brand new? I had the same issue when my car was new. I've found it gets better over time. Whether that is because I am more practiced or the receptacle is loosening up a bit, I cannot tell.

Yes, car is like 3 days new. Its a lease fyi too. I'll keep trying, just didn't want to break the port. Doesn't seem like there's much reinforcement behind it. I'm gonna have the dealer take a look as well so they have it documented .

sactogolf said:

If it take force, you are doing something wrong and you aren't paying attention to lining up the handle with the socket. I've had a 2015 almost 4 years and never experienced this with any handle except the very heavy CC fast charge handles, and that was because I was not aligning the handle correctly when trying to insert it.

Take a little more care and use your eyes on the up and down angle of the handle before inserting, and you'll have a lot less problems.

I bought a used Clippercreek LCS-25p with the mostly white plug with dark gray features. So pre-broken in but it fits well, no slop but also not tight. It's only a 20A max charger, so not as fast I could go but 20A is much better than the L1 charger than came with the car, I can still fully charge overnight, and it's an easier draw on my older breaker panel.

I've had the JuiceBox 40 for a few years, and it worked well with the previous E.V. (MB B250e) and the new e-golf (2019 SEL)
Recently the unit died and they replaced it with a new one that looks a bit different. Works the same and no issued with fit when plugging in.

I am using a Siemens basic 30amp wall charger that matches the 7200watt charger in my 2019 e-golf SE.
"Basic" meaning not wifi version. I waited for it to come on sale at costco which happens every 6 months it seems for $360 which is ~$100 off.
The fit is just fine. Maybe German engineered charger to German engineered car helps??? (Although charger is assembled in Atlanta, GA).
The only weirdness (and it's perfectly understandable) is the wall charger contacter audibly closes every time you: 1) plug in the charge connector or 2) lock or unlock the car while plugged in. In both instances the wall charger indicator lights show "charging" state, even if there is no charge command from the car, and the car shows no charging taking place. After a time-out of a couple of minutes, the contactor unlatches and the charger shows ready state. Now if you lock or unlock the car it starts all over again.
I think the wall charger is just entering a "ready to charge" state so that it doesn't miss the charge command from the car for better reliability.
But the 1st time it happens and you know you are not asking for a charge, you go "whaaaat??". Now I'm just used to it.

Back