Why can't you set the % of charge from the car screen?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cove3

car net appears to let you set the charging level at some percent, say 90%. It also says to not charge over 98%. Because some posts suggest 40-50% is conservative for battery life/capacity retention, I'd like charging to automatically shut off at 60%, rather than have to watch it. This is enough range for most of my driving needs.

But there's no way to set this from the vehicle, only car net. But unless car net really improves, I'm not going to pay for it. So it seems the function should be added to the car

Which brings up another question. Does VW have a mechanism for updating car functions? Do these come from the sd in the glove compartment? Or an automatic download from car net, which would mean you need a paid subscription to get them

Ron

I see a lot of people posting about setting the charge percentage, but I don't see how to do that from the CarNet app. I see a slider that sets what the charging current capability of the charger is, but I don't see where / how to set what the car is going to charge to.
Am I missing something?

at web site, click e settings/change your basic settings. On charging, click anywhere along the slider and the percentage will change

Ron

GadgetGav said:
I see a lot of people posting about setting the charge percentage, but I don't see how to do that from the CarNet app. I see a slider that sets what the charging current capability of the charger is, but I don't see where / how to set what the car is going to charge to.
Am I missing something?

It's well hidden in the app and where it makes no sense being.

E-manager > Departure Time > The Setup Cog Icon in the upper right corner.

I have an iPhone 6 - when I go to e-manager / departure time / setup cog upper right corner it only let's me change the percentage in 10% increments ONLY - anyone else has this issue?

Tuningin said:
GadgetGav said:
Am I missing something?

It's well hidden in the app and where it makes no sense being.

E-manager > Departure Time > The Setup Cog Icon in the upper right corner.

Thanks! The grouping of things in the app is not well thought out. I always look for the remote climate control in 'Remote' as it seems to be most like a remote starter for an ICE car, but no, that's in e-Manager too. Driving Data and Status would seem to be a natural fit in e-Manager, but they're in Remote... :roll:

LAeGolf said:
I have an iPhone 6 - when I go to e-manager / departure time / setup cog upper right corner it only let's me change the percentage in 10% increments ONLY - anyone else has this issue?
Same for me. 10% increments in the iPhone app

GadgetGav said:
LAeGolf said:
Same for me. 10% increments in the iPhone app

We have been advised to use the phone app ONLY for setting charging options. Online site can be used for other features, but not charging options.

I'm confused, my "minimum battery charge level" is 50%. What does that even mean? I always just plug in to places when I'm running errands, I don't understand what this even does.

Rallylizard said:
I'm confused, my "minimum battery charge level" is 50%. What does that even mean? I always just plug in to places when I'm running errands, I don't understand what this even does.

YES! I am not sure what this does either? Can anyone enlighten us? Mine is factory set at 30%

Also, what does "Climate control using battery power" mean?

***I did a search in these forums, a standard google, and consulted the owner's manual for these topics and didn't come up with an explanation.***

Elladara said:
Rallylizard said:

YES! I am not sure what this does either? Can anyone enlighten us? Mine is factory set at 30%

Also, what does "Climate control using battery power" mean?

***I did a search in these forums, a standard google, and consulted the owner's manual for these topics and didn't come up with an explanation.***
When you use delayed charging, it will not charge when you plug in. Instead, it will calculate when it should wake up and start charging based on the EVSE you plugged in. If you have the Minimum Charge Level set, then if the battery is below the set level, it will charge immediately until it reaches the set level, then go to sleep until it's time to charge up to the Maximum Charge Level. If you don't use the delayed charging feature, the Minimum Charge Level has no effect.

Climate Control using Battery Power means that the car will do climate pre-conditioning even when you're not plugged into the wall. Since cabin climate control pre-conditioning is a strategy to save battery power, they allow you to disable it if you're not plugged in. If you're using battery power for cabin pre-conditioning, then it's just a comfort and convenience, not battery and range conserving.

Back