Will it stall if the 12V batt dies?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good point miimura, about not getting warrantied parts back. We never asked for them anyway.

JoulesThief: We asked IF they could charge it & when they confirmed we made plans based on that. I'd have no complaint if they had simply said "Sorry, but we can't charge it" or even "Yes, but we'll have to charge you". I might not even have complained here if they had owned up to forgetting.

Back on topic. I was hoping someone could confirm or refute my "2 failure modes".

JoulesThief said:
miimura said:
Not charging an EV when specifically asked is one of my pet peeves of EV servicing. This happens a lot.

I would not expect to get the old parts if I didn't pay for the new parts. I would expect any replaced parts to be the manufacturer's property when they pay for a warranty repair. Not only did you not pay for it, but the manufacturer (or their supplier) should be doing failure analysis on those parts.

Do they fill up your car with fuel when you take it in for service too, top off the tank? Unrealistic expectation. Fill it up yourself, on your dime, on your time. The only time itś full from a dealership is when you buy a new car.
Filling up a car with $30 in gasoline and not spending $1 to charge an EV are different things.

To paraphrase yourself in an earlier statement Joules, Dealers need to step up their game in regards to EV's , how to service them, when are maintenance due, and knowing to keep them charged so the owner doesn't run out of power on the way home. A free car wash (which almost all dealers do) costs way more than putting an hour of Charge on them.

forbin404 said:
JoulesThief said:
miimura said:
Not charging an EV when specifically asked is one of my pet peeves of EV servicing. This happens a lot.

I would not expect to get the old parts if I didn't pay for the new parts. I would expect any replaced parts to be the manufacturer's property when they pay for a warranty repair. Not only did you not pay for it, but the manufacturer (or their supplier) should be doing failure analysis on those parts.

Do they fill up your car with fuel when you take it in for service too, top off the tank? Unrealistic expectation. Fill it up yourself, on your dime, on your time. The only time itś full from a dealership is when you buy a new car.
Filling up a car with $30 in gasoline and not spending $1 to charge an EV are different things.

To paraphrase yourself in an earlier statement Joules, Dealers need to step up their game in regards to EV's , how to service them, when are maintenance due, and knowing to keep them charged so the owner doesn't run out of power on the way home. A free car wash (which almost all dealers do) costs way more than putting an hour of Charge on them.

Define "things". They are the same "thing", filling up the vehicle with energy needed for propulsion. Not a dealerships job or responsibility, it's the owners.

TomHoulden said:
1) 12V batt goes bad (usually gradual, over the course of several years) & the car won't start, but it won't stall while running, because after starting, everything will run off the charging system.
2) Charging system suddenly goes bad (usually after a great many years/miles) & the car will still start & run, but only until the 12V is drained, at which time it can stall while running.
TomHoulden said:
Back on topic. I was hoping someone could confirm or refute my "2 failure modes".
Yes, those two failure modes can absolutely happen on an EV including the e-Golf. As mentioned elsewhere in this thread, there are other failure modes as well. However, the ones you listed are the most common for ICE and EV.

Check the voltage at the 12V battery with the car off, then on. When I turned mine on, I observed 13.18 VDC initially, settling back to 12.65 after a few moments. At the time, I didn't think to check it before turning the car on.

This is off topic, but I brought mine in with ~55 miles range, and they had it for about a week, doing body work, and the 20K mile checkup.

They gave it back with ~11 miles range.

It is about a 15 mile drive back to our house. That is just not acceptable.

NeilBlanchard said:
This is off topic, but I brought mine in with ~55 miles range, and they had it for about a week, doing body work, and the 20K mile checkup.

They gave it back with ~11 miles range.

It is about a 15 mile drive back to our house. That is just not acceptable.
Agreed.

Back