Will this increase battery drain?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

uscpsycho

I'm not thrilled with the underpowered USB port in the center console and I'm using the 12v plug for my dashcam, so I can't use it for a better USB charger.

I'm wondering two things. Can a dashcam noticeably affect battery drain? And would using something like https://amzn.to/2SJZuav affect battery drain? The motivation for getting this adapter is to be able to use my Dashcam and add a Quick Charge USB port for my phone. I realize I won't be able to use Android Auto but I don't use it anyway so no loss there.

I feel like it will be very unlikely that this will measurably affect your battery life (if you mean the high voltage battery). It won't drain the 12V either as the outlet turns off with the car.

Have you considered hard wiring the dash cam? It's not too difficult to run a wire behind the trim from the mirror area around to the fuse box. Might clean things up a lot, then you'd have a lot more flexibility if you wanted to use a quick charger for the phone.

The 12v outlet has a different battery than the battery that runs the car?

I have thought about hard wiring the dash cam but the how-to I saw didn't look quite so easy. Maybe there is an easier how-to. I'm also a bit hesitant to do it because this cam is a few years old and I may want to upgrade before too long. I'm not sure if dashcam power plugs are universal or not. Anyone know? If not I may have to rewire when I replace the camera so then better to wait. But yes, ultimately hard wiring this thing is definitely preferable.

(May have misunderstood your question, forgive me if I’m repeating what you already know)

The big high voltage ‘EV’ battery really only powers the motor, AC/heat-pump, the 12V battery charger, and whatever high voltage inverter bits are needed to make the motor do the thing.

There’s a normal 12V car battery that runs all the normal car bits, like the computers, and control modules, lights, keyless entry etc, same as any normal Golf. The only difference is that instead of an motor alternator charging the 12V battery, there’s a 12V battery charger.

Since the 12V battery is supplied by the HV battery, yes anything that you plug into the 12V will ultimately drain from the high voltage battery, but the current draw from a dash cam is so low that you won’t see a difference. There’s already a big camera in the middle of your windshield running all the time when the car is running, after all! (It’s a shame we can’t just use the footage from that like a dash cam!)

In terms of hard wiring, there are ways you could future proof it. What kind of connector does your current cam use? It seems like a lot of dashcams go with 12V (for obvious reasons in a car). There are quite a few guides online for Mk7 Golf, and I think 2016egolfse here recently did it too.

Most dashcams I've seen have a cable with a mini USB male end that plugs into them. So to hardwire, all you have to do is use a male USB to male mini USB cable, a 12V to 5V converter with a USB female on the end, and an Add-A-Circuit.

2016golfse said:
Most dashcams I've seen have a bale with a mini USB male end that plugs into them. So to hardwire, all you have to do is use a male USB to male mini USB cable, a 12V to 5V converter with a USB female on the end, and an Add-A-Circuit.
We did the same thing :)

sparklebeard - Thanks for the explanation. I didn't realize there was a standard car battery in there to power 12v. But you've completely answered my question.

The dashcam I have receives power with a plug that is similar to a mini phono jack. If most current dashcams are powered by USB then it would make sense to get a new USB-powered dashcam because that wiring should be pretty future proof. Sounds like wiring specifically for my dashcam probably won't serve me well in the future.

I just got an Echo Auto which is also powered by USB. Still kicking the tires on that but if I like it maybe I'll hardwire both of them if possible.

Back