f1geek

Re: eGolf wheel & tire recommendations

Sun Mar 01, 2020 4:03 pm

I don't know how much the side wall height changes range. I think range is more affected by tire compound and contact patch and tire aerodynamics. I suspect that is why the i3 has such skinny tires. In terms of outer diameter and ABS and TPMS calibration, I believe 225/50R16 has nearly the same sidewall height as 205/55R16. Maybe the Tire Rack can give you some info in terms of efficiency differences. Best of luck!
2017 e-Golf LE, Multi Coat White with Black Vegan Leather interior

gaspasser

Sat Mar 07, 2020 10:08 am

Go to tiresize.com if you want to compare tire size and ET changes. Very easy to use. The diameter of the stock 205/55 R16 is identical to 225/50 R16 but you lose 10 mm of sidewall.

I went with a 17x8 rim and 225/45 tires (Continental Extreme Contact 06 DWS). Have not broken in the tires yet but the difference is dramatic in the positive except for efficiency. The new set-up is 3 mm wider diameter which is negligible. Ecopia's are only good for efficiency.
2019 VW eGolf SE
2007 Porsche Cayman S (not for long...)
2014 Subaru Impreza (wife's ride)

miimura

Sat Mar 07, 2020 3:45 pm

gaspasser wrote:
Go to tiresize.com if you want to compare tire size and ET changes. Very easy to use. The diameter of the stock 205/55 R16 is identical to 225/50 R16 but you lose 10 mm of sidewall.

I went with a 17x8 rim and 225/45 tires (Continental Extreme Contact 06 DWS). Have not broken in the tires yet but the difference is dramatic in the positive except for efficiency. The new set-up is 3 mm wider diameter which is negligible. Ecopia's are only good for efficiency.
Your post is very confusing.
The rolling diameter of the 205/55-16 and 225/50-16 is nearly identical. Therefore, since the rim is the same and the diameter is the same, the sidewall height is the same. The section width is 20mm wider. What this actually means for the width of the contact patch itself depends on the tire design.

However, this (increasing the width and lowering the profile on the same rim) is not the normal way. You did the normal "Plus-One" sizing, going up an inch in rim diameter while making the tire a little wider and lower profile. Your 225/45-17 (plus 20mm width, 10% less profile, 1 inch larger rim) is a normal fitment on a Golf. The ExtremeContact DWS06 has a rolling diameter of 831 rev/mile in this size while both of the 16 inch sizes mentioned above are 834 rev/mile. Percentage change on the speedometer and odometer for this size is very small.
2015 e-Golf LE (returned) | 2018 Tesla Model 3 LR | 2012 RAV4 EV Shoreline w/JdeMO | Leviton EVB40 & Jesla Home Charging | 4.32kW Motech/Enphase PV + 2x Powerwall 2 AC

gaspasser

Sat Mar 07, 2020 7:08 pm

gaspasser wrote:
The diameter of the stock 205/55 R16 is identical to 225/50 R16 but you lose 10 mm of sidewall.
OOOPS! :oops: Sorry about that. Should have double checked. There is NO difference in sidewall height.

There is a 10 mm loss of sidewall going from the OEM to the 225/45 R17.
2019 VW eGolf SE

gaspasser

Mon Mar 16, 2020 5:28 pm

There has been no mention of tire pressure when changing wheel/tire size. I went onto tiresize.com and they had a calculator (with a disclaimer) for setting the correct pressure for a new wheel/tire size. The calculations factor in Load Rating along with the OEM set-up recommended tire pressure. For the Conti Extreme Contact 06 DWS in 225/45 R17 the new recommended tire pressure is 36 psi. I don't know how much damage or danger there would have been I went with the OEM pressure of 41 psi (the new tires can go up to 50 psi) but I feel better than just guessing the "correct" pressure.
2019 VW eGolf SE

somethingcool

Mon Jun 01, 2020 5:17 pm

For the Conti Extreme Contact 06 DWS in 225/45 R17 the new recommended tire pressure is 36 psi. I don't know how much damage or danger there would have been I went with the OEM pressure of 41 psi (the new tires can go up to 50 psi) but I feel better than just guessing the "correct" pressure.
That value makes no sense. Lower profile tires call for higher PSI, and higher speeds/performance driving call for higher PSI. You did two things that should have you increase pressure but you went down instead...? I would stick with the recommended 41 PSI, load is by far the biggest factor in PSI selection and you haven't changed that at all.

gaspasser

Tue Jun 02, 2020 5:57 pm

I know with tubeless bicycle tires that when the width gets wider the maximum tire pressures go lower. I'm going to stick with 36 psi.
2019 VW eGolf SE

tlovejr

Wed Jun 24, 2020 1:48 pm

FWIW: I installed a set of Firestone Firehawk Indy 500's on mine. OEM size. Amazing increase in grip, negligible decrease in range.

I was actually quite surprised at how minimal the range loss was. I took an 81mile trip home from the airport, 90% highway, average speed ~70mph; when I got 1/2 mile from home the meter showed 30miles range left...
2019 VW e-Golf SE
2016 VW Sportwagen SEL (w/ JB4)

2017 Zero DS
1984 Jeep CJ-8 Scrambler
------------------------------------
Former 2014 Nissan Leaf SV (daily driver for 6yrs)

Fluxcapacitor

Fri Jul 10, 2020 11:41 am

tl;dr version: Michelin CrossClimate+ on the front, Ecopia’s on the rear. Much better performance all around, no noticeable efficiency hit.

Hey, newbie to the forum here, and here’s my input on this important topic.

My 2016 SE had the original Ecopia’s on it, and the fronts were fairly worn when we bought it CPO last year. Rears were practically new still.

Like everyone, I’ve been very unimpressed with the Ecopia’s performance. They’re just not suitable for use on the drive wheels of a FWD EV. They’re fine for the rear axle as they’re just along for the ride. So beyond minimizing rolling resistance, there’s little else the rears need to be good at. The front axle is by far the dominant one with respect to vehicle dynamics.

So with that said, I’m a big fan of different tire types between the front and rear axles. After all they have very different jobs to do.

So Ecopia A/S tires on the rear axle are a good option for general use, as low rolling resistance and reasonable snow grip is all they really need to be any good at.

Front axle A/S tires however is a much more challenging choice. You definitely want much better traction and general performance, but at the same time want to retain some level of efficiency that you don’t really need to consider with a gas vehicle. So that really narrows down the choice to an A/S tire that offers good wet, dry and snow performance, as well as some semblance of Eco focus at the same time. Basically there isn’t anything....until now that is. The Michelin CrossClimate+.

These came out in Europe a few years back and were somewhat of a holy grail A/S tire. They’re a Summer tyre that has been adapted for all season use, as opposed to the other way around with how traditional A/S tires are designed. In fact Michelin did such a great job that they were even able to brand the tire with the official severe snow duty marking (3PMSF) that denotes a true winter tire....from a Summer tire baseline. Far superior to M+S marking which is largely meaningless. They also have mild Eco focus properties too.

The CrossClimate has only fairly recently been launched in the US so that was obviously the choice for my e-golf. I had a pair mounted on the front axle, stock size. The difference is impressive, similar to others experience with fitting grippier tires. However as they also have a mild eco focus, coupled with the Ecopia’s on the rear, I’ve not yet noticed any degradation in range for my usage profile, which is quite remarkable.

I’ll provide updates as time goes on, including winter condition performance. But so far, it seems that going with a dual tire type strategy is the win-win everyone has been searching for.
Carbon emitters: Audi A8L, TVR Tuscan
Carbon offset emitters: 2016 e-Golf SE

somethingcool

Thu Jul 23, 2020 10:49 am

gaspasser wrote:
Tue Jun 02, 2020 5:57 pm
I know with tubeless bicycle tires that when the width gets wider the maximum tire pressures go lower. I'm going to stick with 36 psi.
The max pressure going down is because they have less clamping force to the wheel when they are wider so it's easier to pop a bead; max PSI has nothing to do recommended PSI.

I ended up getting the same wheel size and tires as you (DWS06 225/45/r17), running them at 42 PSI and they feel great, more comfortable and quieter than the Ecopias even. I'm guessing 36 PSI is an even more plush ride, nothing wrong with that, you're just trading some efficiency. I will say one of the few complaints I found when reading reviews of the DWS06 was that they have soft sidewalls, yet another reason to run higher PSI. Hope you're enjoying the wheels and tires, I know I am, whole new feeling to the car.

Return to “Technical Discussions”