jonajona

Spring-like noise when braking

Thu Jul 21, 2016 8:47 am

My 2016 SEL e-golf has been making a weird noise when braking since I got it 2 months ago, similar to an old spring mattress.
You can listen to the sound here: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B2Mpt ... 2FJb2NyX2c
When I start braking, you can hear it faintly first, then clearly at the end when the car is about to come to a stop.
If I then start driving again very slowly and brake, it won't make the noise (not that I can hear at least).

Anyone else ever heard that?

f1geek

Re: Spring-like noise when braking

Thu Jul 21, 2016 9:08 am

Maybe it's my ears, but all I hear is the e-sound. There is a speaker installed in one of the e-Golf's front wheel wells that emits a simulated gas engine noise up to 18 mph to warn pedestrians and cyclists of the car's presence. I think it's a good feature as I appreciate being able to hear cars when I'm about to enter a crosswalk as a pedestrian.
2017 e-Golf LE, Multi Coat White with Black Vegan Leather interior

jonajona

Thu Jul 21, 2016 9:29 am

I'm talking about the rattling, high-pitched sound that is most prominent towards the very end, not the acceleration/deceleration related e-sound.

f1geek

Thu Jul 21, 2016 11:44 am

Ok. I heard the other sound. I think it is, as you suggest, the springs. I hear my springs making noise occasionally, too. It could be we are hearing this because the rest of the car is so quiet or maybe the springs just are a bit squeaky. It doesn't worry me but you could always have it checked out by the dealer. Good luck!
2017 e-Golf LE, Multi Coat White with Black Vegan Leather interior

johnnylingo

Fri Jul 22, 2016 9:26 pm

I heard this too on my rental this week (2015 SEL) when doing a 'B'. I did not near it when applying the brake pedal. I assumed it was deliberate on VW's part or simply a quirk of the car.
2019 e-Golf SEL white purchased 2/26/2020 * ChargePoint Home 32a (wired)
2018 BMW i3s REx in Mineral Gray purchased 6/12/2018 w/ Giga, Tech, Parking, CarPlay, Harmon Kardons, and of course Moonroof

Verkehr

Sat Jul 23, 2016 12:53 pm

I think this noise comes from the brake master cylinder. It's fairly quiet but since the master cylinder is mounted on the firewall the sound enters the cabin.
2016 e-Golf SE | Ebusbar BEV-H02A10 EVSE

SpdLmtNA

Wed Aug 17, 2016 11:00 am

Hm, my guess is maybe the brake retaining clips (which have a tiny bit of play) bouncing off the metal. It is completely normal (if that is indeed the noise). Try bringing the car to a super smooth stop, so towards the end of your stop, right before you completely stop, release the brake pedal just a bit so the car slows smoothly without the stop-brake-locking-effect. See if that sound still happens. If it is another noise, I am not certain what it may be, but let us know!

aw45

Thu Sep 29, 2016 12:46 am

I have the exact same noise for my 4 weeks old e-golf. Not sure what it is but will take it back to the dealer when I get a chance. Anyone figure that out?

vietsb

Fri Oct 21, 2016 1:01 am

aw45 wrote:I have the exact same noise for my 4 weeks old e-golf. Not sure what it is but will take it back to the dealer when I get a chance. Anyone figure that out?
Ditto. Didn't have that noise originally but started noticing it after the first 2wks or so. It's not getting worse and is consistently just when putting on the brakes and I normally use B mode so it's at the tail end of the stopping cycle. I thought it sounded like soft engine knocking on ICE cars but obviously related to the braking system instead. Will need to take it to the dealer sometime.

binox

Fri May 31, 2019 2:02 pm

Hi, no news since 3 years on this thread, but I am getting the exact same noise jonajona recorded on my brand new 2019 e-Golf.

Everyone is saying they will bring it to VW, 3 years ago. Any news from them?

I already brought mine to VW and they put microphones to see where the noise is coming from. They've identified it coming from the brake booster (whatever that is). But they say the next step in 'fixing' this issue is to test it on another e-Golf which they don't have and we don't know when they will be able to test it. So I'd really like to know what your experiences were.

Thank you

Return to “Technical Discussions”