2015 VW Golf SEL Lease Expiring in March of 2018

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks folks. Very informative. Let me clarify-I actually have a 2015 limited, not an SEL. It was the bare bones model. My commute is 30 miles to work and 30 miles home. I charge using the slow charge at home or at work. I rarely use the quick charge. I only use it when its an emergency. Typically, I park the car at work and do a slow charge for the day.

I don't think there is really a wrong decision here. When I do the math: I paid $8460 over the course of the lease. If I buy the car now for 11,900 and I add in sales tax (say 13k) I am into the car for: $21,500 (all in). I am guessing that If I decide to sell out of the car in say 3 years (the car will be 6 years old), I will owe roughly $5800. I am guessing that the car will be worth 3-5k at that point.

Now-if I go out and lease a new E-Golf, I would be paying 2500 down (which I won't get back due to income issues) and then spending somewhere between 280 and 320 per month for 36 months only to have the same conundrum.

I was curious however to see if anyone out there has gotten any kind of offer from VW where they come down on the residual. Sounds like they really aren't negotiating and CarMax is selling these for 15k. Even though I took 45k miles, I only put on 32k miles so I am putting on about 10k per year.

Thanks!

mark11aa said:
I was curious however to see if anyone out there has gotten any kind of offer from VW where they come down on the residual. Sounds like they really aren't negotiating and CarMax is selling these for 15k. Even though I took 45k miles, I only put on 32k miles so I am putting on about 10k per year.

Unlike with the first few years of the Leaf, I don't think VW Credit is negotiating on residuals with the eGolf. Unlike with the Leaf, the residuals seem to be in line with reality.

mark11aa said:
Thanks folks. Very informative. Let me clarify-I actually have a 2015 limited, not an SEL. It was the bare bones model. My commute is 30 miles to work and 30 miles home. I charge using the slow charge at home or at work. I rarely use the quick charge. I only use it when its an emergency. Typically, I park the car at work and do a slow charge for the day.

I don't think there is really a wrong decision here. When I do the math: I paid $8460 over the course of the lease. If I buy the car now for 11,900 and I add in sales tax (say 13k) I am into the car for: $21,500 (all in). I am guessing that If I decide to sell out of the car in say 3 years (the car will be 6 years old), I will owe roughly $5800. I am guessing that the car will be worth 3-5k at that point.

Now-if I go out and lease a new E-Golf, I would be paying 2500 down (which I won't get back due to income issues) and then spending somewhere between 280 and 320 per month for 36 months only to have the same conundrum.

Thanks!

I know timing is everything, but after dieselgate, I bought my 2015 SEL for $15,200, outright. I just turned 15k miles and it will be 3 years of ownership by Oct 6th 2018. I think the VW does better on depreciation and maintaining it's value because of the quality of the build and how well it drives. That's just my opinion. I think your VW will be worth more than your assumption of 3 to 5k when 6 years old. If you don't do a lot of emergency quick charging, your battery should have minimal range loss for the amount of miles on the car.

Back