2016 e-Golfs half off!!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
johnnylingo said:
Salesperson at Hayward last night said the 2017s will arrive in September but they will be no different than the 2016s. The 2018 models will have 115 mile range and come mid-2017.

That battery sounds smaller in capacity than what VW in Germany has been saying. Supposedly 35.8 kw. 35.8 x .85 is about 31 useable kwh. Multiply by what you can get miles per kwh, in my case, usually 5.5 to 6.3 miles per kwh. Most folks are lucky to squeeze out 4 with good driving behavior. Probably closer to 120 to 125 miles for most drivers, max. 150 miles for me between a recharge would be a vast improvement. Quite a range increase between potential recharges, opening up travel for me to the whole Eastern Sierra's in a somewhat reasonable amount of charging time. I hope it comes with a 10.2 to 14 kwh charger pack on board that will take 240 V at 50 or 60 amps. Even better would be 208V 3 phase chargers.

JoulesThief said:
johnnylingo said:
Salesperson at Hayward last night said the 2017s will arrive in September but they will be no different than the 2016s. The 2018 models will have 115 mile range and come mid-2017.

That battery sounds smaller in capacity than what VW in Germany has been saying. Supposedly 35.8 kw. 35.8 x .85 is about 31 useable kwh. Multiply by what you can get miles per kwh, in my case, usually 5.5 to 6.3 miles per kwh. Most folks are lucky to squeeze out 4 with good driving behavior. Probably closer to 120 to 125 miles for most drivers, max. 150 miles for me between a recharge would be a vast improvement. Quite a range increase between potential recharges, opening up travel for me to the whole Eastern Sierra's in a somewhat reasonable amount of charging time. I hope it comes with a 10.2 to 14 kwh charger pack on board that will take 240 V at 50 or 60 amps. Even better would be 208V 3 phase chargers.
We are lucky to have the 30A single phase charger on the e-Golf in USA. All the European cars only have the 16 amp charger plus CCS. There is no way that VW will put larger chargers on their cars until they get to big batteries 50kWh+. Also, three phase chargers in USA don't make sense because there is absolutely no charging infrastructure for it. Where there is a desire for medium-fast charging, you will find low power 20-30kW DC chargers instead of three phase.

miimura said:
Where there is a desire for medium-fast charging, you will find low power 20-30kW DC chargers instead of three phase.

The thing is, almost all these ChargePoint 100 chargers have expensive parking fees and expensive electric rates, which bring a recharge for adding 70 to 80 miles of range up to $10 to $13 and they take 50 minutes to an hour to do so, versus the ChargePoint 200 versions which take 20 to 30 minutes, but stress the battery with the recharging rate, pretty much for the same price of a recharge. An example is all the people that are protesting using the King City, CA Charge Point 100 on highway 101, due to the exorbitant fees for parking and charging in BFE, to use the device there.

JoulesThief said:
johnnylingo said:

The European range tests for EVs I believe give a more optimistic figure than the one used in the US.

Thanks for posting the details of your lease. Looks like Hayward has lots of deals running right now, so I'm hoping that I can do as well as you did!

Back