2016 SE w/ 7.2 kW charger option = $1500

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For a typical 36 month lease that's an extra $42 dollars per month.

For people getting lease deals between $100-$200 dollars per month, that's anywhere from a 25%-50% increase in monthly payments.

better than the usual $100/month difference between the base SE and SEL premium though, if you want the upgraded charger, but don't care about the other bells and whistles.

The 7.2 kW charger seems like a must-have for anyone who regularly charges at hourly rates. 3.6 kW is more than enough for home charging, IMHO.

bizzle said:
For a typical 36 month lease that's an extra $42 dollars per month.

For people getting lease deals between $100-$200 dollars per month, that's anywhere from a 25%-50% increase in monthly payments.

I doubt $1500 is amortized over 36 months. Some of it will come back in the buy back price. It should be accounted for and amortized over a life of 10 years, the life of the car.

If a 3.6 kwh charger on an e-golf for resale value is anything like it is for a 3.2kwh Leaf, it's not going to be pretty.

Yes, along similar lines I realized right after responding that they should be factoring this in to the residual value. Assuming they put that value over $800 than the standard SE, that comes down to under $20/month.

I'm leaning towards the SEL but may ask them for the numbers on this one, out of curiosity

johnnylingo said:
Yes, along similar lines I realized right after responding that they should be factoring this in to the residual value. Assuming they put that value over $800 than the standard SE, that comes down to under $20/month.

I'm leaning towards the SEL but may ask them for the numbers on this one, out of curiosity
They might do that, but from what I've seen they tend to amortize options over the span of the lease.

I'm interested in how the numbers come out for you. The only person on the board who leased with this option and posted about it is paying an effective rate of $300 dollars per month.

Barely any lvl 3 chargers near me.

What is the 0 to 80 percent charge times for level 1 and 2? I know level 3 is 30 minutes.

FlyPenFly said:

What is the 0 to 80 percent charge times for level 1 and 2? I know level 3 is 30 minutes.
Yeah, there are none around me within a hundred miles. The few that do exist are reportedly nonfunctional most of time according to the notes on plugshare and they aren't within range of anywhere I could go after a charge anyway.

L2 will charge a 3.6kwh SE to 80% in 6 hours and a 7.2kwh model in 3 hours.
L1 is the same for all models: about 15 hours with the stock charger.

FlyPenFly said:

The answer is not quite that easy.

120V 100% 20 to 22 hours, 208V 15 amps capable charger on board, 8 hours or more to 100% 240V 15 amps capable charger on board, 7 hours. 208V, 30 amp charger on board. 4 hours. 240V, 30 amp charger on board. 3 hours to 3 hours and 15 minutes.

These are my observations. I usually see 244 to 245V at my residence. Voltage at the EVSE makes all the difference, sagging voltage at commercial outlets drags the charging cycle out. People with 3.2 or 3.6 kwh chargers at free public charging venues drag the charging cycle out also, sometimes ignoring the 2 hour charging time limit to the chagrin of others that really do need a charge. Chevy Volt owners tend to fall into this category a lot around where I live. I've never seen a Chevy Volt yet at a pay to charge EVSE in public. Not that it hasn't happened... I just haven't seen it yet. They have a slow, slow, slow charger and a 40 mile range on a battery, on a good day.

L3 chargers may not be near you now, but they are being added, at a good clip. If you live in the sticks, or rural areas, of course no one is going to invest the money for a high speed charger that doesn't give them a return on their investment. If you live in a major city, population over 100,000 or so, chances are better there is a quick charger coming soon, to a location near you, here in CA. Or you may end up on a longer road trip, and run in to them and have the option to use them to be on your way a lot sooner than later.

If you live in or near El Centro, like bizzle, or the Eastern Sierra's, where population density is low, it's gonna be a long wait, unless perhaps you own a Tesla and they've put a supercharger station in.

The only charging times that matter to me is for a partial fill up so I can get the car home if I'm ever near the limit of range. The last 20% or so in any battery recharge with lithium technology take much longer.

Things like this make me rule out EVs for longer trips.

http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1101613_why-a-2015-bmw-i3-rex-replaced-my-2013-chevy-volt-electric-car-evolution/page-3

I'm way too impatient and cautious for nonfunctional chargers or occupied stations. I'll just take my ICE cars.

FlyPenFly said:
The only charging times that matter to me is for a partial fill up so I can get the car home if I'm ever near the limit of range. The last 20% or so in any battery recharge with lithium technology take much longer.

Things like this make me rule out EVs for longer trips.

http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1101613_why-a-2015-bmw-i3-rex-replaced-my-2013-chevy-volt-electric-car-evolution/page-3

I'm way too impatient and cautious for nonfunctional chargers or occupied stations. I'll just take my ICE cars.

My observation with level 2 charging at 7.2 kwh is that the charge rate is pretty close to the same to about 90% SOC on 240V. It's not until the last 15 to 20 minutes that it cuts back on the signal to control and reduce the amperage flow to the battery, since the charge rate is closer to a C/3 or C/4 charge rate with 7.2 kwh and 240V. That is slow enough charge rate for LiIon batteries to not have much of a reduction in charge rate until past 90%

A 3.6 kwh charger on a public charger at 208 is probably giving you a bit under 3 kwh's. At that rate, a C/7 charge rate, it will charge at full tilt probably close to the whole time, save the last 10 or 15 minutes of charging time.

With your impatience, plan on being able to add 10 or 11 miles range per hour of charging, if you got a 2016 SE and average 4 miles per kwh.

johnnylingo said:
Guess I should have scrolled down the forum before posting, because DepletedZPM leased an SE with 7.2kW charger from Capitol VW on Monday:

http://www.myvwegolf.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=685

A normal residual for a SE is around $12.4 and his was $13.2, so they did factor this in.
Look at his payments, though, they factored it in on both ends. His payments are $100 dollars higher than average posted and the residual rate went up at least a full percent so even the standard base models have higher residual values.

Back