2017 e-Golf may have 30% battery increase

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
johnnylingo said:
miimura said:
If it's not, then the guy is stupid for saying something because it will be a big drag on their sales until it does happen.

That was my immediate thought too. I was literally getting ready to set up an appointment to make an offer on a 2016 SEL until I saw that article. Between this and the entertainment system and parking upgrades, I'm now leaning towards waiting for the 2017 models.

You'd buy a 2015 SEL if the price was right and you saved enough money on the deal. Everything has it's price. Savings on a used car that depreciated in someone else's garage can be a huge motivator. If the 2017 does have the increased battery capacity and range, and VW won't retrofit the battery and charger pack... there's a good possibility my 2015 SEL will be finding a new home and go up for sale. There are times I need the added range that the larger pack would provide, trips between L.A. and San Diego, also the increased range would make Bishop in the Eastern Sierra's much more doable between recharges.

If LADWP ever gets their act together and puts in some 50 kwh quick chargers along 395 from Mojave to Bishop, I'll be in business to drive the electric instead of the TDI, to go fly fishing.

Well, let me say this. I may still get a 2016, but the price I'm willing to pay for one just went down by about $2,500.

An 83 mile range gets me up to SF on a single charge. That's great, but ~115 miles gets me all the way up to Petaluma, Napa, and Sonoma. This is a game-changer, and would let me trade in my 12 year old Subaru. Trips beyond that range are only every few months, in which case I can just rent a car.

I also like the gesture control and wireless charging coming on the 2017s. But is more for the "cool" factor, and not the deal-breaker the 2015 headunits were.

johnnylingo said:
Well, let me say this. I may still get a 2016, but the price I'm willing to pay for one just went down by about $2,500.

An 83 mile range gets me up to SF on a single charge. That's great, but ~115 miles gets me all the way up to Petaluma, Napa, and Sonoma. This is a game-changer, and would let me trade in my 12 year old Subaru. Trips beyond that range are only every few months, in which case I can just rent a car.

I also like the gesture control and wireless charging coming on the 2017s. But is more for the "cool" factor, and not the deal-breaker the 2015 headunits were.

You always have the option of stopping in at Chargepoint headquarters and getting a good price on a 20 to 30 minute quick charge there before heading north across the golden gate bridge.

JoulesThief said:
You always have the option of stopping in at Chargepoint headquarters and getting a good price on a 20 to 30 minute quick charge there before heading north across the golden gate bridge.
Do they have offices and a quick charger in SF? I'm going up past SF in a couple of days and I would like to use a charger there. I know they have an office in Campbell, but that is ~50mi south of the bridge.

kirby said:
JoulesThief said:
Do they have offices and a quick charger in SF? I'm going up past SF in a couple of days and I would like to use a charger there. I know they have an office in Campbell, but that is ~50mi south of the bridge.

Every big trip requires some planning on Plugshare.com app, to find out where you wish to recharge.

Not SF, but a clue... have your greenlots app handy on your phone before you go.

http://api.plugshare.com/view/location/72583

http://api.plugshare.com/view/location/10076

Chargepoint's headquarters are in Campbell, near the Los Gatos border.

Anyhoo, it's not the cost of charging that's the problem - it's the inconvenience factor. To stop a trip midway under the prayer that a DC fast charging station is operational and has an available slot - that's way too haphazard and stressful for my tastes. Charging at the destination is highly preferred because I have flexibility around it, and can fall back to a level 2 station if a DC fast charger isn't available.

My original plan was to get an e-Golf for commuting but keep my Subaru, which at 181,000 miles is suffering from an oil leak, in addition to being due for tune-up, tires, and battery. A range of ~120 miles is huge because now I can trade the Subaru in and make the e-Golf my sole car.

JoulesThief said:
kirby said:
JoulesThief said:

Every big trip requires some planning on Plugshare.com app, to find out where you wish to recharge.

Not SF, but a clue... have your greenlots app handy on your phone before you go.

http://api.plugshare.com/view/location/72583

http://api.plugshare.com/view/location/10076

Yup, I have a plan (and several backups) informed by Plugshare . I got a greenlots account on Fri as part of that planning.

Re: ChargePoint headquarters, I thought you were telling me there was a ChargePoint DC charger someplace I didn't see already!

Does the ChargePoint app have a trip planner feature also? I haven't used it in a while. If not, you should email them or contact them and ask them why not?

NRG EvGo is pretty expensive, and Blink even more so, so I've yet to use any of their charging facilities. One day, I will waste the time to plan a charged trip from L.A. to San Diego and back, although it would just be a lot less hassle to take a TDI and not worry about stops en route.

bizzle said:
JoulesThief said:
bizzle said:
Sticker is $37,500.

Point being the Bolt is the first out the gate. Tesla will be releasing a 200m range EV around that time. Nissan won't be far behind. If VW comes to market late again in the extended range offerings, they'll be competing against all of those established brands and Toyota will probably be launching a pure EV by 2025, too.
2025? :lol:
Not everyone here is 80 years old :D

Not everybody here is willing to waste 10 years of their youth waiting for an EV either... or at least, I'm not. Eeek :eek:

Has anybody heard any updates on the 2017? I imagine it should be out on the west coast in 3-4 months.

It should be available to dealerships that have moved all their 2015 and 2016 e-Golf in stock first. Whether that is west coast or east coast remains to be seen, but that's pretty much VW's business model.

We should also hear about it when the specs are finalized and they are ready to start production. I expect the cars to be delivered in Germany and Norway first. We heard about 2016 model year deliveries in Norway at least 4 months before USA.

miimura said:
We should also hear about it when the specs are finalized and they are ready to start production. I expect the cars to be delivered in Germany and Norway first. We heard about 2016 model year deliveries in Norway at least 4 months before USA.

USA deliveries for VW's, most models, usually start showing up on dealer show floors by late July to late August. Large volume dealerships are usually the first to get new models, in large population based cities. I would expect large cities in Norway and the Netherlands to get the first 2017's.

http://www.volkswagen.nl/modellen/golf/uitvoeringen/e-golf?tab=highlights&gclid=Cj0KEQjw8u23BRCg6YnzmJmPqYgBEiQALf_XzR0UGPez-OOxUq0WZcB06kIzC-Ql-bKKpyuTVvWvpdkaAg1F8P8HAQ&dclid=CImBvp646csCFcdXfgodPgYNdw

It looks like the new e-golf has a range of 190km -> 118miles.

From volkswagen France http://volkswagen-responsable.fr/e-golf/ from German webiste http://emobility.volkswagen.de/de/de/private/Autos/eGolf.html

Also they say max speed 140km/h ->87miles/hr , 0 to 60km/hr -> 0 to 37miles/hr is 4.2sec.

115 horsepower, battery 8 years warranty, 8" screen, CCS (Combined Charging System) 30min charging time.

GUILLAUME said:
It looks like the new e-golf has a range of 190km -> 118miles.

From volkswagen France http://volkswagen-responsable.fr/e-golf/ from German webiste http://emobility.volkswagen.de/de/de/private/Autos/eGolf.html

Also they say max speed 140km/h ->87miles/hr , 0 to 60km/hr -> 0 to 37miles/hr is 4.2sec.

115 horsepower, battery 8 years warranty, 8" screen, CCS (Combined Charging System) 30min charging time.
The 190 km range is on the NEDC cycle which is notoriously optimistic. People usually reduce the range by 30% from NEDC to EPA. 70% of 118 is 82 miles, which is approximately the 83 mile EPA rating of the 2016 US e-Golf.

Nothing to see here....

33kwh/24.2 kwh= about 36% more range . 113 miles of Range

32kwh/24.2kwh = about 32% more range. 109 miles of Range

24.2kwh = 83 miles of Range, current 2015 and 2016 US models.

bizzle said:
While promising,VW better come out with 200 mile range soon to compete with the Bolt or the eGolf will be nothing more than a footnote.

They would need to go to a skateboard design instead of cramming the battery and engine into the existing golf design replacing engine and exhaust system.

There is an austrian company that claims they can replace the battery system of eGolf with a 55kW battery into the same form factor and space http://plugin-magazine.com/living/kreisel-electric-builds-factory-austria/

That would be awesome, but I won't hold my breath ;)

Yea, that would be awesome! I wish they also make some swap-able units so current owners can benefit from that as well. If I could swap battery for twice bigger - I would keep my eGolf for a long time.

vetaldj said:
Yea, that would be awesome! I wish they also make some swap-able units so current owners can benefit from that as well. If I could swap battery for twice bigger - I would keep my eGolf for a long time.

Me too. But how much would you be willing to pay for such an upgrade ?

I saw that article about Kreisler too. I wonder how they got the battery to work... I mean did they reverse engineer or did they have VW supply information about wiring, BMS electronics and CAN bus etc... ?

Back