Anyone have backlash in their drivetrain? (motor mount?)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eGolfJoe

Sometimes after decelerating/regenerative braking, when get back on the throttle, there is a clunk feeling - like there's play/slop in the drivetrain when the parts are loaded from deceleration to acceleration. It's not violent, but noticeable. Feels like a bad motor mount.

If it were my MK4 TDI, I'd inspect the lower dogbone mount. I haven't done it yet on the eGolf (does the eGolf have a lower dogbone mount?)

I'd be worried there's issues with the gearbox with backlash or something, but there's no whine from the gears.

2019 eGolf with ~ 46K miles.

Anyone else experience this?

Sometimes after decelerating/regenerative braking, when get back on the throttle, there is a clunk feeling - like there's play/slop in the drivetrain when the parts are loaded from deceleration to acceleration. It's not violent, but noticeable. Feels like a bad motor mount.

If it were my MK4 TDI, I'd inspect the lower dogbone mount. I haven't done it yet on the eGolf (does the eGolf have a lower dogbone mount?)

I'd be worried there's issues with the gearbox with backlash or something, but there's no whine from the gears.

2019 eGolf with ~ 46K miles.

Anyone else experience this?
I haven't experienced the backlash you mention, however I'm concerned with the reliability of the CV joints and other drive train components with the high torque the motor puts out. Does anyone know if VW beefed up the drive train to accommodate for the high torque the motor puts out? I have a lead foot so the situation will be worse in my case. ;)

I have around 70k Kms on my 2019 e-golf and just recently I have noticed little tiny clunck when starting from complete stop - there is no connection to parking brake or automatic stop assistant so I assume that it will be some kind of drive-train play - CVs, driveshafts, one speed transmission??. I did not checked it yet in the air to listen to it. I will wait till it will get a bit worse to be able to find it. There is no clunck when driving at all yet.

I haven't experienced the backlash you mention, however I'm concerned with the reliability of the CV joints and other drive train components with the high torque the motor puts out. Does anyone know if VW beefed up the drive train to accommodate for the high torque the motor puts out? I have a lead foot so the situation will be worse in my case. ;)
I don't think you need to worry. 214 lb-ft isn't that much torque. The 2017 Golf R put out 280 lb-ft of torque, so VW knows how to design stout drive shafts. I have 64,00 miles on my 2017 and regularly give it full beans on the highway (almost never from a stop, where I think the full torque may be software limited anyway), and have no lash in the driveline. The only situation where I hear a clunk is when I park on a hill and forgot to engage the parking brake prior to releasing the brake pedal - when I later release the parking brake, I might hear a clunk upon shifting from park to drive; regardless, I think this is to be expected in this situation.

Back