Coolant

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The owners manual says the G13 coolant is a mixture of 40% coolant/60% water and will offer freeze protection down to -13F. Well I've seen it get down to -30F or even lower at times here but not in recent years, maybe global warming is real :p .

Does anyone know if this is correct as the owners manual leaves a bit to be desired in some regards. For example it shows a parking brake lever, not the electronic parking brake and nothing about the 3 driving modes on our 2015 SEL. They don't mention the capacity of the cooling system either. I was thinking I could drain the coolant expansion tank and refill it with straight G13, run the heater and motor to mix the coolant and recheck the protection value.

I'll test it tomorrow.

The manual is terrible and what it says may be wrong, but I would not mess with the coolant in the car. Also, you said you could "check the protection value". What kind of test is that? I understand that you are in the northeast and it does get cold, but seriously, I would not worry about this.

miimura said:
The manual is terrible and what it says may be wrong, but I would not mess with the coolant in the car. Also, you said you could "check the protection value". What kind of test is that? I understand that you are in the northeast and it does get cold, but seriously, I would not worry about this.
The car has coolant? What's it used for (obviously not the engine)

I believe the electric motor is supplied with coolant. Maybe some of the AC/DC conversion electronics needs coolant, too.

it also supplies heat from the $$$heat pump to the cabin heater core and none of this would be covered by warranty if it is damaged by freezing.

Open the hood and you will see a radiator, coolant tank and hoses.

a coolant tester, for example, I have a similar one.

http://www.autozone.com/heating-and-cooling/antifreeze-coolant-tester/peak-antifreeze-tester/525881_0_0/?checkfit=true

Rsolaregolf said:
The owners manual says the G13 coolant is a mixture of 40% coolant/60% water and will offer freeze protection down to -13F. Well I've seen it get down to -30F or even lower at times here but not in recent years, maybe global warming is real :p .

Does anyone know if this is correct as the owners manual leaves a bit to be desired in some regards. For example it shows a parking brake lever, not the electronic parking brake and nothing about the 3 driving modes on our 2015 SEL. They don't mention the capacity of the cooling system either. I was thinking I could drain the coolant expansion tank and refill it with straight G13, run the heater and motor to mix the coolant and recheck the protection value.

I'll test it tomorrow.

Call the local VW dealer service and parts department and ask what the total volume is for the coolant system on your 2015 e-Golf. Or call the one you bought it from.

JoulesThief said:
Rsolaregolf said:

I'll test it tomorrow.

Call the local VW dealer service and parts department and ask what the total volume is for the coolant system on your 2015 e-Golf. Or call the one you bought it from.

That is what I plan to do today.

So I spoke with the service dept of the dealer we bought the car at and they checked with their eGolf tech. According to the tech there is a heater built in to the system that monitors the OAT and will turn on a heater to keep the coolant from freezing. I suppose this is fine when your plugged in, but if not and the temp was very low for an extended period some problems could occur, my thoughts on it anyway. I was assured that VW had considered this and has installed the proper software. So no worries I was told. I tested the coolant it indicates is it is OK down to -45F.

Rsolaregolf said:
The owners manual says the G13 coolant is a mixture of 40% coolant/60% water and will offer freeze protection down to -13F. Well I've seen it get down to -30F or even lower at times here but not in recent years...

I was thinking I could drain the coolant expansion tank and refill it with straight G13, run the heater and motor to mix the coolant and recheck the protection value.

According to Blauparts a 50/50 mixture of G13 only protects to -37 C (-34.6 F) but leaving it at the factory 60/40 water/coolant ratio will protect it further to -52 C (-61.6 F).

http://www.blauparts.com/vw/vw_fluid/vw_coolant_engine_fluid.shtml

RonDawg said:
Rsolaregolf said:
The owners manual says the G13 coolant is a mixture of 40% coolant/60% water and will offer freeze protection down to -13F. Well I've seen it get down to -30F or even lower at times here but not in recent years...

I was thinking I could drain the coolant expansion tank and refill it with straight G13, run the heater and motor to mix the coolant and recheck the protection value.

According to Blauparts a 50/50 mixture of G13 only protects to -37 C (-34.6 F) but leaving it at the factory 60/40 water/coolant ratio will protect it further to -52 C (-61.6 F).

http://www.blauparts.com/vw/vw_fluid/vw_coolant_engine_fluid.shtml

That doesn't make sense so I believe you misinterpreted it the 60/40 ratio. It is the coolant 60% water 40%. The OM states 40% coolant 60% water protects down to -13F.

Anyhow according to the eGolf tech at Colonial VW all is good with the stock coolant. Time for a beer or two :mrgreen:

Back