East-central Mass public chargers under-subscribed...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I often get to the Wayland MA Stop&Shop (with 9 free Level 2 public chargers) every week; half the time there is only one other BEV or PHEV charging, and the other half there's nobody else there. I've also been to three National Grid chargers at local 99 restaurants, each with two free level-2 ChargePoint stations, and I've *never* seen another car charging at any of them.

It is a mixed blessing... while I'm happy that I can get a free charge whenever I need it, it seems a shame that there isn't more interest in "free gas" ;) around here... hope that doesn't discourage these businesses from continuing to offer it...

... I haven't yet ventured into Boston with my e-Golf... do you folks know if the public charge stations in town are busier?

IMG_8312b.jpg

Wow..! That's a lot of chargers! No wonder they seem under subscribed. Most places seem to put in a single dual-cable post, so if you showed up then and one bay was already taken you'd be more concerned about being able to charge. ;) Good on Stop & Shop for providing so many, and for Wayland or whoever for providing what ever tax incentive got them to put in so many!

I haven't tried charging in Boston, but I was in the Charles Square hotel garage in Cambridge the other day. I was the only EV in their 4-bay charging station. They have a posted 4 hour limit for charging, but I wonder if it's enforced when there doesn't seem to be much demand.

When I've looked at charging in Boston on the Plug Share or Chargepoint apps there never seems to be a charging station particularly close to where I want to be, so on the few occasions I've gone into Boston with the e-Golf in the last year I've just been sure to have a full charge before I started and I can get home with ~10 miles estimated range left.

I have seen other EV / PHEVs at the charging stations in Lexington center. Mostly plug in Prius if I remember correctly, and I tried to use a station in West Concord a few weeks ago but it was out of order. Unreliability like that will put people off going to places if they *need* to be able to charge to get back...

I've owned a different EV in Boston for 2.5 years and just bought an e-Golf... hopefully taking delivery on Tuesday.

Charging stations closer in to Boston/Brookline/Cambridge are, in my experience, rare, often ICEd, and taken over by a wide variety of plug-ins when not ICEd. For example, the garage at Post Office Square has eight chargers, and most of the time only one or two - if that - are available. Logan airport has some 14 chargers, if I recall correctly, and it's very rare to find one available. The best bet is stations inside garages that charge an arm and a leg for parking, but I'd say (unscientifically) that I normally find a station available maybe 50% of the time, for one reason or another, and have learned to never count on one.

igbright said:
The best bet is stations inside garages that charge an arm and a leg for parking, but I'd say (unscientifically) that I normally find a station available maybe 50% of the time, for one reason or another, and have learned to never count on one.
That's probably why the Charles Square Hotel garage usually has empty chargers, but if you're going there in the evening, you can download a coupon for flat rate $7 parking which isn't too bad.

I've taken my e-Golf to Logan once and I parked in an EV/Hybrid reserved space, but it didn't seem fair to park at a charging station as I was going to be away for many days and didn't *need* to charge. I don't know what their rules are on limiting stays in charging bays, or if they even have any.

Thank you for being so considerate... I've been at Logan many a time when charging spots are taken by EVs that are not even plugged in. Very irksome when you have the EV that does need a charge but there's no spots left.

Nice - thanks for the coupon link - I love that garage, but it's pricey (sometimes)...

And yes - you will find hit/miss on the level 2 EVSE use around here - the challenges:
- Level 2 really is targeted at 100-mile-range cars (EX: shopping or dinner - charge for an hour or two)
- Most places that put them in under or over do it
- Not painting/marking spots as "Electric vehicle only" is another common issue

Ah - and on the Logan comments:
- Yes, I've seen not-plugged-in too, however that's sometimes because of a jammed/stuck EVSE handle (there are a bunch that need to be replaced - I think Logan is doing that).
- It would be much more sensible for them to have 40 Level 1 outlets - for those of us that take multiple-day trips! :)

I work nearby this location and often charge up while I shop or get lunch at one of the nearby restaurants.

There usually seems to be between 1-4 other EV's and PHEV's charging and a few ICE vehicles in the spots. I've never had an issue of not being able to get a charger and I've never encountered a non-functional charger there. So I'm pretty happy with this over capacity.

In locations with just 1 or 2 Level 2 chargers I don't have the same confidence I'll be able to charge. The nearby chargers (2) in Maynard Center are heavily used and my chances of getting one at lunch are less than 50%.

I forgot to add that I've used the City of Boston chargers on Cambridge St near Gov't Center.

There are 4 curb-side spaces with good signage there. The chargers are free and on the Chargepoint network. They send emails as the charging process progresses. I had good luck in getting one on a Saturday, which is the only time I tried.

The signage coupled with having the chargers send email shows that they are doing what they can to encourage efficient usage of the chargers. I don't know if they tow ICE's that attempt to use the spaces.

Back