eGolf vs. LEAF

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi folks,

I'm eager to get my first EV and, being in CT, have narrowed it down to the eGolf and the LEAF.

We are looking for a basic, reliable and safe commuter/around-town car. We have a 2013 Ford Fusion, for our family sedan, but are looking for a second car with sufficient interior room to be comfortable for short/intermediate trips for our family of 3 (w/ car seat). I test drove the eGolf last week and will be going with my wife to test drive the eGolf again and also a LEAF on Friday. There is no way for us to afford the SEL, even the LE is a big stretch for us. But with free Level 1 & 2 charging at work (15 mile commute), i feel somewhat justified in a higher EV price.

I'd love to hear why folks went for the eGolf over the LEAF. Is the LE "worth it" vs. the LEAF and is the infotainment/climate control truly a deal breaker that should push me to the LEAF?

Also, i spoke with someone from VW corporate and they said they are now accepting 2016 eGolf orders and that local dealers will have pricing info. If the price is the same/similar that may eliminate the "deal breaker" part, given the MIB II updates on the 2016.

We are looking to lease either way, as the technology is changing so fast. If anyone from CT is on the forum, please let me know what your lease terms were. I want to comparison shop and get the best deal i can, given how much of a stretch this is for us (no one in my immediate family has ever had a new car, or leased a car).

The generic quote i got from Montessi VW in North Haven for the LE was $0 down, $229/month for 10K miles per year, for 36 months plus tax, etc. That puts the base cost at $8,244. Is that a good deal?

Thanks for the help,

Aspiring EV Leasee

Simple, the e-golf looks way better! Actually, I should rephrase that - it was the only "non-ugly" BEV in the price range I was looking at.

Sample deal around here for LE is $159/mo + tax, approx $2500 down($3800 total drive off). 10K/year 36mo.

Sounds almost equivalent if you take the down payment across the monthly($228/mo). If your drive off is actually $0, even better.

Comparison from someone who has both:

http://mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=14166&start=160#p431465

and followup:

http://mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=14166&start=160#p431582

Thanks for your help. Interestingly, my wife says the LEAF looks better, but I agree with you sweetwagon. Looks fall squarely in the eGolf's favor

Thanks for the links. I had searched around on that forum but didn't see this thread. Very helpful.

I'm test driving both today and will update on what I find. Going to try to hold off on purchase until October or later. Read that the end of the month in Q4 is the best time to get a deal, plus the 2016s should be in be in by then.

I just hope the CT rebate is holds out. 67% of funds are still available, but shrinking by the week.

So Nissan was completely unprepared for us. I set up an appt. on Tuesday for a Friday test drive. We get there and they don't know we are coming, get passed around the sales floor to the "Leaf guy". He isn't the most knowledgeable guy I've ever talked to. He takes us to the one leaf they have, it's an S, sitting in the middle of the showroom, boxed in by a half dozen cars.

I asked him how he plans on us taking a test drive and he starts scrambling. In the end we cancel the test drive and instead just talk $. It takes 25mins to get a lease quote. He comes back with this offer:

Leaf S w/ Charging Package
$1,000 down
36 months
12k miles per year
$278/ month

This is compared to the VW meeting where the guy was knowledgeable, friendly and straightforward. It to mention prepared for us. His offer is the national one customized for CT rebate:

VW eGolf LE
$1000 down
36 months
10k miles per year
$205/ month

I was flabbergasted to find these quotes so far apart, esp in VW's favor.

My wife was very impressed with the look and driving of the eGolf. Though the salesperson accidentally turned the vehicle off when we were in the parking lot as he was trying to explain the different driving modes.

jmmurphy26 said:
I was flabbergasted to find these quotes so far apart, esp in VW's favor.

Be careful with the terms they use for lease.

"Down" normally does not include fees taxes etc, nor does monthly. Also, with rebates for EV, it is difficult to know which one counted which in.

It is best to ask about "drive-off" and "monthly including tax" to compare apple to apple.

Back