gps time set vs. manual time set

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A couple weeks ago the time changed on the West Coast from daylight to standard. For the first time, I had to reset the clock on my eGolf. After a quick check of the owner's manual, I did the deed and set the clock back an hour. But after I switched the car off, the time bounced right back. Because I am a slow learner, I reset the clock a couple more times, but the same thing happened--the clock reverted to daylight savings time.

In another cranny of the owners manual, I discovered another screen that had me choose between setting the time manually or by GPS. When I chose manual, the time change stuck.

What is "gps time" and what good is it if it doesn't know about spring forward/fall back? I am not the only eGolf owner on the West Coast; am I the only one that had so much trouble figuring out how to reset my eGolf clock?

I have my time set to GPS and still, when the Daylight Saving Time ended, I had to 'un-check' the corresponding box in the "Time" menu for the correct time to be displayed.

I'm also on the West coast and had to forget about "GPS time" and just reset it manually. Life's too short to worry about some stupid VW bug. We love the car but some things in it are just the weirdest I've ever seen in any car.

Good feedback. The very good news is that in Oregon we won’t have to fall back ever again (thanks to our legislature). When we leap forward in spring, I will set the time back to dst one way or the other and move on to bigger issues.

Back