Heat doesn't seem to work!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobk2824

This may end up being a very stupid question, but today temps were in the low 50's (I'm in NJ) and I expected the heat to come on and it definitely didn't. I turned the temp up all the way to HI. Nothing.

When I hit the AUTO button, the AC light would come on! I hit it to turn it off.

I've definitely felt heat coming out of the vents in recent days, but it hasn't been cold enough for me to really think about it.

When I got back and after I plugged it in, I used the app to turn on "climate control". I went back into the car a while later and heat was definitely on. Also, I noticed that the only light on the dashboard was the AC light.

Am I doing something wrong or is this thing broken?

Should I have left the AC light on?

By the way, I have the 2015 SEL version with the heat pump.

Thanks,
Bob

bobk2824 said:
This may end up being a very stupid question, but today temps were in the low 50's (I'm in NJ) and I expected the heat to come on and it definitely didn't. I turned the temp up all the way to HI. Nothing.

When I hit the AUTO button, the AC light would come on! I hit it to turn it off.

I've definitely felt heat coming out of the vents in recent days, but it hasn't been cold enough for me to really think about it.

When I got back and after I plugged it in, I used the app to turn on "climate control". I went back into the car a while later and heat was definitely on. Also, I noticed that the only light on the dashboard was the AC light.

Am I doing something wrong or is this thing broken?

Should I have left the AC light on?

By the way, I have the 2015 SEL version with the heat pump.

Thanks,
Bob

Take it back to the dealership, there is a Technical Service Bulletin and a reflash that addresses this issue, do a search here.

I had the TSB applied last week (i'm in CT, so a little colder a little earlier than NJ). It took about an hour and was all software updates. No cost, worked great!

The heat definitely works now and kept me warm on my 31 degree commute this morning. That is until I realized my range was dropping precipitously and turned off all my HVAC. Good thing the seat heaters are toasty!

Ended my last trip yesterday with the guess-o-meter saying 34 miles, started this morning with it saying 27 miles. Crawled into the L2 charger at work (16 miles away) with 6 miles left. Monday mornings are tough when you are trying to only charge at work. This car is just too practical on the weekends!

EV Lessee
2015 eGolf SEL - Pacific Blue
2013 Ford Fusion SE
1987 Schwinn Voyageur 2.0

jmmurphy26 said:
I had the TSB applied last week (i'm in CT, so a little colder a little earlier than NJ). It took about an hour and was all software updates. No cost, worked great! The heat definitely works now and kept me warm on my 31 degree commute this morning.

Thats what I thought when I got mine done last week, however...

jmmurphy26 said:
That is until I realized my range was dropping precipitously and turned off all my HVAC.

So when my wife turned on the heater this morning it dropped by 50%. The 90 mile range was now a 45 mile range, and if she turned it off it
would switch back to 90. I don't actually believe it can impact range that bad, can it? The estimate must be wrong. Especially since outside temperatures where 58 or so, no where near freezing.

jmmurphy26 said:
Good thing the seat heaters are toasty!

Ended my last trip yesterday with the guess-o-meter saying 34 miles, started this morning with it saying 27 miles. Crawled into the L2 charger at work (16 miles away) with 6 miles left. Monday mornings are tough when you are trying to only charge at work. This car is just too practical on the weekends!
So instead of the expected 11 miles it had 6 miles. So does that mean the 50% range reduction is real?

Skryll said:
jmmurphy26 said:
I had the TSB applied last week (i'm in CT, so a little colder a little earlier than NJ). It took about an hour and was all software updates. No cost, worked great! The heat definitely works now and kept me warm on my 31 degree commute this morning.

Thats what I thought when I got mine done last week, however...

jmmurphy26 said:
That is until I realized my range was dropping precipitously and turned off all my HVAC.

So when my wife turned on the heater this morning it dropped by 50%. The 90 mile range was now a 45 mile range, and if she turned it off it
would switch back to 90. I don't actually believe it can impact range that bad, can it? The estimate must be wrong.

jmmurphy26 said:
Good thing the seat heaters are toasty!

So instead of the expected 11 miles it had 6 miles. So does that mean the 50% range reduction is real?

Making heat out of electrons from a battery is a real drain on the battery, huge amount of resistance makes the heat. Similar to your smart phone when it has apps running in the backround like WiFi searching and pinging, or running the GPS. The phone gets hot, and the Li battery discharges quickly, and you go running to get tethered again for a battery recharge. Go to any major airport and see how many owners of Apple iPhones are tethered to 120V wall outlets with their chargers... there's your sign. Run less peripherals if you want the battery to last more miles between recharges... bundle up before you jump in the car for a drive when it's cold out.

Owning a 3 bedroom condo up at Mammoth Mtn Ski Resort with electric wall heaters, and letting friends use it once during the holiday season was an eye opener. 6 days of usage, by them alone, too lazy to start a fire in the wood stove, netted us a $450 electric bill that month, normally it was about 40-$45 the same month the previous year. That put an end to letting friends use the condo... Electrical heat is expensive, unless the electrons are free.

JoulesThief said:
Making heat out of electrons from a battery is a real drain on the battery, huge amount of resistance makes the heat.

This is true in particular for resistive electrical heaters.

Heat pumps are considerably more efficient, generating approximately 3 times more heat than resistive heaters in optimal conditions (relatively moderate temperatures). Heat pump efficiency starts dropping off below 40 degrees Fahrenheit, at differing rates depending on the design.

The heat pump in the e-Golf can also draw from excess heat generated by the battery pack, so it is probably "seeing" a temperature slightly higher than ambient.

It would be interesting to see a comparison of a heat pump vs. non-heat pump e-Golf in similar conditions.

Thanks for your all of your comments.

I called VW this morning and was able to bring it in. They applied the software updates and we'll see how it goes. It does seem to work!

One question I have is right now the temp is in the 50's. When I hit the AUTO button, the AC light comes on. I have to hit it to turn it off. Is this what other people are experiencing? I would expect the AC light to come on only when it is hot.

bobk2824 said:
Thanks for your all of your comments.

I called VW this morning and was able to bring it in. They applied the software updates and we'll see how it goes. It does seem to work!

One question I have is right now the temp is in the 50's. When I hit the AUTO button, the AC light comes on. I have to hit it to turn it off. Is this what other people are experiencing? I would expect the AC light to come on only when it is hot.

Maybe take the time to read the Owners Manual and see what it says.

Thanks! That was the first thing I did, though. The manual says that the Auto button will set automatic temp, fan speed and air distribution. The manual says that A/C light indicates air conditioning. Unfortunately, that is all the manual says about those functions.

bobk2824 said:

Thanks! That was the first thing I did, though. The manual says that the Auto button will set automatic temp, fan speed and air distribution. The manual says that A/C light indicates air conditioning. Unfortunately, that is all the manual says about those functions.
Turn the climatronic temp to what ever the external air temperature in the dashboard shows, then turn on the fan. How many miles do you lose on the guess-o-meter with the fan set with only 2 lights showing, on a full charge? About 2 miles? Turn the AC on and off, and note what the range difference is. Add in heat as necessary on the Climatronic, and note what your mileage range changes to, with the recirculate on and the AC off.

Back